NameSilo

discuss Do you respond to all inbound inquiries?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just curious as to the board's views on responding to lowball inquiries. My experience has been they do not convert into sales so my view is I only respond if I believe I have a serious buyer. A serious buyer is generally an end user who makes an initial offer which indicates they might agree to my target price. If the offer is say 40% of my target price I will probably respond. If the initial offer is less than 10% of my target price then I probably do not. Of course some inquiries just come in asking for the price without any offer at all. Sometimes they convert but generally they do not. Anyway, thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its smart business practice to respond to all offers, even lowball offers. Its part of business. A lowball offer can genuinely lead to a significant sale and it only takes 30 secs to reply.

The other benefit of responding to a lowball offer is to think long term. If the lowballer gains more experience in the domain business, they know they can make a more realistic offer in future without being ignored and are more likely to make the offer.

Essentially, the moral of the story is, dont burn bridges...you never know which one of those lowballers may one day become a regular buyer.

•••
I believe that no inbound injuries should be ignored; even the lowball ones. If you get a $10 offer for your domain that you think is worth at least 4-figure offers, it won't hurt to reply to that offer. Some people are just naive about the value of domains. You never know, you might turn a $xx offer into a $xxxx or even $xxxxx
Injuries or inquiries?

•••
I'm Responding to all inquiries except chinese low ball.
Ah, I forgot about those - I also ignore them. Or any offers when I know the buyer is domainer and they will not pay more than a reseller value (e.g. bulk spam about LLL.co).

•••
Ah, I forgot about those - I also ignore them. Or any offers when I know the buyer is domainer and they will not pay more than a reseller value (e.g. bulk spam about LLL.co).

Aaah Haa.. Well i always over quote those inquiries to let them scratch their head.;)

•••
."
Short, polite and you give them a chance to contact you in the future.
And as always: don't be a d**ck - sometimes I just want to roll my eyes and send them some sarcastic reply but it's not worth it.
If someone hurl insults at you - just ignore it, don't engage in back and forth exchange because it might end up on somebody's blog or Reddit.

True... I always respond with politeness.. and never experienced insults except your wording D*CK... :)

Question is what if someone who's genuinely interested in your domain but doesn't understand the value of domains? like in my case? Unless you educate him in a polite manner ofcourse?

•••
I respond to all inquiries. There are a few cases in which a $100 has become a mid $x,xxx sale. I do not understand the logic of not responding.
When you own LLL.com domains for example, you get spam almost every day. With experience you recognize the tire kickers and the curious in the blink of an eye. I will ignore the $200 offers.

Maybe it would be a good idea to set up an autoresponder on the mailbox, sending a link to DNJ back to the lowballer.

•••
I do respond to all inquiries and politely no matter what the offer is.

Its not like I was receiving hundreds of inquiries everyday. I can take 2 minutes of my time to reply to an offer even if I feel it is spam or not really serious.

We never know.

•••
I respond to all inquiries asking for a price but here lately no one replies back. Seems to be a lot of price checking going on, just to see what the asking price is.

I'm not even getting, thanks but that's to much, counter offers etc...

I'd like to get some kind of reply but that hasn't been the case lately.
AMEN

•••
I did years ago and have turned xx initial into mid-high xxxx before. Today since busier with websites I have minimum offers set so any offers I receive now are at least 25-50% of my sales price which makes the leads warmer to begin with which avoids price checks/time wasting. So I get less offers now but more qualified/successful leads as don't have the time for tire kickers.

Last edited:
•••
I do not, depends on their request and the day they contact me. My time is really valuable, and no longer have availability to spend hours a week answering people. At parking pages I even wrote "$xxx offers are ignored." but I get $100 offers anyway... which percentage of those will lead to a sale? Not many I am afraid.

•••
Also get a lot of offers to buy the stupid domains...

•••
The ones with a block of gibberish (spam bypass trick?) at the bottom are not replied to.

Also the "you own a similar domain" - will you buy our way worse domain? One offered to sell me one of my drops. :)

•••
LOL... I get people offering to sell me my drops all the time. No, I don't respond to them, either. If they wanted it, they can have it, I obviously decided that it was no longer a viable investment.

As far as not responding to low-ball offers, I would prefer not to. Any real domainer worth his salt that only offers $100 to $200 as their initial offer is over greedy, insulting and ludicrous. I say F 'em. They should know better and by not being realistic they tell me that they are idiots I'd rather not deal with.

Unfortunately, I do reply, even after I have sold the domain. And I do know for fact that some of these guys are trying to rip me off, and it is always the super insulting low-ball offers of less than $300 that are always (without fail) the absolute hardest to deal with and that they always refuse to come up to a fair price (not even getting to an offer that is 1/2 its fair-market value).

And an initial reply might only take 30 secs to 1 minute, but explaining the value to an idiot or even one who only wants to flip a domain at a steal takes more like 30 minutes to an hour each time. Not worth it, I just stop responding. They can up their offer if they really want it, I didn't say "go away" but they know I'm too busy for their crap.

•••
And an initial reply might only take 30 secs to 1 minute, but explaining the value to an idiot or even one who only wants to flip a domain at a steal takes more like 30 minutes to an hour each time.

I agree there are many "idiots" out there, but I think it is better to send short reply than nothing. Of course it is not worth to spend 30 minutes explaining why your domain is worth more, but 30 seconds reply wont hurt anyone. Then you will see if you are dealing with complete "idiot" who wants premium domain for peanuts or he just hoped that you are uneducated and that you will sell your premium domain even under reseller value and will now start serious negotiation.

Regarding offers to buy from them, just because it is "similar" to mine, I usually dont respond to that. However, few days ago I responded with advice that he better search for end users instead of spamming every domain with similar domain, and did not hear back from him after that. I gave him free golden advice and did not receive even "thank you" :) Some people should take decency lessons

•••
If you're using Uniregistry Market always set up your names to "Make Offer / BIN", that way your account collects the lead and displays your BIN price to the buyer. Once the buyer has seen your BIN and navigates away :

1. An inquiry will have been created in your inbox based on the buyer's inquiry
2. Under your Market (carat tab)/market options/negotiation templates, update the quote price and request offer email templates to something really short and personal to you.
3. In your market inbox respond to the buyer's inquiry with either a price quote or a request for an offer.

As soon as you respond the system will start following up with the buyer.. You can elect Uniregistry brokers to help you, but be prepared, the sales cycle is 90 days or more, so the name you give a price on today may not close until well into the future. Sometimes it takes several follow up calls, but the system works. You will build a conveyor belt pipeline of deals that close in the future.

The market gives you great insight into your buyers, you can see their IP their city, their previous offers and inquiries on other names across the market. It let's you cross-reference buyers against other inquiries and purchases.

And if your buyer returns to the name they are forwarded automatically to the negotiation page rather than the parked lander so they can continue negotiating.

The best trick for increasing sales on all those old leads is to create a Uniregistry Market account and load all your names in. Set up your prices and make offer/ BIN settings, then go back into your email and forward all those old email inquiries you have filed away doing nothing in your email client mail folder to [email protected]

The system will rack and stack each of those leads inside your market account. After you action them once with a friendly follow up, the system will begin its work converting those old leads into sales.

It works. You'll build a pipeline, close deals and make more money.

Doesn't work as I set BINs and didn't display properly on landers. Support has weird and confusing layout.

Use Bodis landers right now.

•••
•••
Do you respond to all inbound inquiries?

no

•••
I prefer to reply on almost all occasions, also because there are very few offers that I receive, so don't feel any trouble leaving a short reply.

•••
If it is an annoying lowball offer I usually reply: "Would you sell me your house for $5000?"
Mind you, the names they are inquiring about are worth 6 or 7 figures.

•••
Like I said, I reply to all initial offers. I can pretty much tell if they are serious or not right then. I don't want to reply to them all, but have to. Their reply to mine usually always verifies my first impression. But free that, I only continue conversations with serious businessmen.

It's not OK that some are just theives. Apparently spam and scams are a part of business, but that doesn't make them OK, either.

•••
I respond to all offers, but as my names are listed with a BIN, I do not often get any lowballers.

Maybe except from one or two per year, via WHOIS.

•••
•••
Yes, I think good to respond whether deal is going to be done or not.

•••
Here is a scenario to think about:

Person emails you about a domain you own and they want to buy. Even with a lowball offer it doesn't hurt to respond with a purchase link or more detailed landing page. If they offer $100 and you want $1,000 - you never know until you try. They might pay it. Literally takes a few seconds. And like someone mentioned already, if you don't have a top notch only domain portfolio you don't have much to lose except 30 seconds of your time. Doesn't require a 2 page essay response. Just paste your price and link to buy it now.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back