NamesCon2020

Do you make offers on domain names?

Labeled as poll in Domain Buying and Domain Purchases started by comati, Nov 3, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Do you make offers on domain names?

1. Yes, I'm constantly making offers on other people's domains

60 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. I very rarely make offers (I only make offers on names I really want)

149 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. I only make offers if there isn't a BIN price

9 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. I only make offers if there is a BIN price

26 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. I only make offers on reseller marketplaces (like NP)

39 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. No, I never make offers on other people's domains

82 vote(s)
    22.5%
Total: 365 vote(s)
  1. comati

comati Established Member

There is a lot of talk lately about price upon request vs make an offer vs BIN w/ make offer vs BIN w/o make offer.
    I really want to know what you guys do as buyers, not what you use on your domains.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. whenpillarsfall

whenpillarsfall Top Member VIP

I always make offers. Most bins are rediculous, particularly as a reseller. Just bought a domain that was previously $1300 BIN on sedo.

Saw the other week bin had been removed and replaced with offer and suggested range $1500 +

Offered $500 and it was accepted. Was surprised but sale has completed and domain is in my account. Domain's easily worth 1k even in the reseller market. As someone that usually flips domains quickly rather than waiting for endusers, making offers is the only way to do it, as you need to get them at a sizeable discount.

That said, if I see a underpriced domain with a bin, I snap them up - but you rarely see them and when you do often the seller will stop responding, presumably due to second doubts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. HotKey

HotKey Made in Canada VIP

Rarely. If there's no bin, then guess the buyer hasn't a clue what his price is (gauging value), not interested in a sale, promoting, or playing games..games I have no time for. In any case, give me a BIN, or I'll give you a pass.

There are exceptions, of course, eg. a name not immediately needed and able to commit time for negotiating a final price from the seller. Still, generally I find Make Offer an annoyance, like a mosquito or a fly.

* from buyers POW *

4. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

yes, I will make an offer

and have received a few as well, from some np members in the past months

though most just ask what is BIN or how much are you asking, or do you have a price range.

imo….

5. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Member VIP

I make offers all the time although rarely are they accepted. Since I am not generally the end user, I am buying to resell so the price offered reflects that fact.

Every now and then there is a bin that is reasonable and I will pay that without contacting or negotiating with the owner...not enough hours in the day to haggle over a reasonable price. I try to treat others as I would like to be treated.

6. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I rarely make offers any longer. If a domain is not priced, I will ask first for a price. If price not forthcoming I move on. If a price is forthcoming, I will make an offer. But always there is the difference between seller wanting end user pricing and me wanting reseller pricing. Which is why I rarely make offers any longer.

7. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

I find making offers is often the best way to get a good deal on a name. I make a lot of them, but I would venture that I only get the name I want in the range I want about 2% of the time. As others have said, most have very high expectations for their names. But then those people are often looking for an end user sale, so more power to them.

8. whenpillarsfall

whenpillarsfall Top Member VIP

Sometimes I'm amazed when my offers are accepted. I don't really lowball, but I certainly aim lower than the true market value. Sadly, as you say, more often than not the offer is rejected or ignored. But well worth doing.

9. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

I'm always surprised too! Sadly for us, most people who hold domains seem to have at least a reasonable (or exaggerated) idea of their optimal market value.

10. HotKey

Bidding in an auction could essentially be seen as a "make offer" situation. In that regard, guess I do make offers more often than not, after all.

Offer in an auction is "accepted" when no bids come afterwards and reaches end time. This is almost like an offer being outside the sellers control, where they have to accept regardless of whether a satisfactory offer has been made.

11. .X.

.X. Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I make offers on names at most of the market places.

12. comati

BTW, do you bid on hidden reserve auctions?
    I never do, it's a complete waste of time ...

13. HotKey

I keep away from those too, generally find them a drag.

14. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Member VIP

Made an offer for$3.5k for the/cannon/com few months back and the owner finally accepted last week.

15. biggie

I could agree with that, if and when the reserve has been met, or there is no reserve.

but I don't count the $79 backorder fee as an offer, see it more as base cost to compete

:)

imo..

16. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I have enabled BestOffer mode on Sedo where my BINs are 3K or higher.
    So BIN only if below 3K.

17. MSN-Domains

MSN-Domains Established Member PRO VIP

This year, i have acquired everything i set out too. Exceeded my own expectations on that. All bin and price on request. For me "Make Offer" is a red flag i'm dealing with a inbred

Nothing was better than be quoted a extremely high price on a name, going back into the market and finding something 10x - for a 1/4 of the price. I did thoroughly enjoy smearing sh*t in the face of the seller who felt the need to talk the hind legs of a donkey to me, all i asked was the price, as they say "the best revenge is gigantic success"

The names i acquired were xx,xxx to xxx,xxx it helps to get on the telephone if the stakes are high, one seller stated it had nothing to do with the money they wanted to ensure it was going to the correct person and lofty offers had come in previously. "I can wire the money tomorrow" is how i take candy from a baby, music to the ears of a seller

In-difference is key. I would say i have told 5 or more sellers take your "make me an offer" and stick it up your *** Again huge red flag you're dealing with a schoolboy who has not come out of adolescence

Typically when they get skint or mismanage cash-flow they then spam you like flies on sh*t with reduction offers. Again huge red flag you're dealing with a over emotional seller don't waste your time

99/100 I typically stick my middle finger in the face of people who say "make me an offer" once those words come out. The deal is hosed/dead

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  18. Recons.Com

Wow! It is THAT personal to you, huh?

19. RheiHawk

RheiHawk Established Member

This thread is helpful because I feel like I've blown 2 sales this week because I failed to name a price at first request. I was so afraid of leaving money on the table! Luckily, both failed conversations happened on the first day I listed the names, so hopefully there's time for redemption.

20. comati

I hope more people will realize this!

21. lock

lock PremiumNameDomain.com VIP

I generally will pay the asking price on bins if reasonable that I find. I may make offer instead on names offered by email but only if better than what I have. I don't care for lesser quality.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  22. biggie

Hi

all answers or replies are not definitive, in that they have to be applied to your strategy.
    or what you did was the right or wrong thing to do
    they are just responses to a situation, at a particular moment in time.

meaning.... :poop: can change, depending on the specific domain and time.

for instance, other day I got email asking if a NNL.com I have, is for sale.
    (now mind you, it's on privacy by default and the inquirer sent the email to the privacy addy)

so, I replied, "what's your offer"?
    they replied with 4 figure amount
    and I replied, "Thanks, but it's too low to consider"

I didn't give a price either, and I still own the domain
    if they want it, then they will submit a higher offer, if not, then i'll forget about it.

moral of the story, sometimes you leave money on the table, simply because it's not enough.

imo...

23. DomainBanana

DomainBanana Established Member

98% of this industry is made up of domain nerds making offers on each others' names :xf.wink:

24. Recons.Com

You know this how? Absolute majority of my sales/offers are from end users.

25. DomainBanana

DomainBanana Established Member

The vast majority of sales are under $100 -- most of these are not end-users

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice