IT.COM

poll Do you make offers on domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you make offers on domain names?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I'm constantly making offers on other people's domains

votes
    16.3%
  • I very rarely make offers (I only make offers on names I really want)

votes
    40.9%
  • I only make offers if there isn't a BIN price

votes
    2.5%
  • I only make offers if there is a BIN price

votes
    7.1%
  • I only make offers on reseller marketplaces (like NP)

votes
    10.6%
  • No, I never make offers on other people's domains

votes
    22.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
There is a lot of talk lately about price upon request vs make an offer vs BIN w/ make offer vs BIN w/o make offer.
I really want to know what you guys do as buyers, not what you use on your domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always make offers. Most bins are rediculous, particularly as a reseller. Just bought a domain that was previously $1300 BIN on sedo.

Saw the other week bin had been removed and replaced with offer and suggested range $1500 +

Offered $500 and it was accepted. Was surprised but sale has completed and domain is in my account. Domain's easily worth 1k even in the reseller market. As someone that usually flips domains quickly rather than waiting for endusers, making offers is the only way to do it, as you need to get them at a sizeable discount.

That said, if I see a underpriced domain with a bin, I snap them up - but you rarely see them and when you do often the seller will stop responding, presumably due to second doubts.

Last edited:
•••
Rarely. If there's no bin, then guess the buyer hasn't a clue what his price is (gauging value), not interested in a sale, promoting, or playing games..games I have no time for. In any case, give me a BIN, or I'll give you a pass.

There are exceptions, of course, eg. a name not immediately needed and able to commit time for negotiating a final price from the seller. Still, generally I find Make Offer an annoyance, like a mosquito or a fly.

* from buyers POW *

•••
Hi

yes, I will make an offer

and have received a few as well, from some np members in the past months

though most just ask what is BIN or how much are you asking, or do you have a price range.

imo….

•••
I make offers all the time although rarely are they accepted. Since I am not generally the end user, I am buying to resell so the price offered reflects that fact.

Every now and then there is a bin that is reasonable and I will pay that without contacting or negotiating with the owner...not enough hours in the day to haggle over a reasonable price. I try to treat others as I would like to be treated.

•••
I rarely make offers any longer. If a domain is not priced, I will ask first for a price. If price not forthcoming I move on. If a price is forthcoming, I will make an offer. But always there is the difference between seller wanting end user pricing and me wanting reseller pricing. Which is why I rarely make offers any longer.

•••
I find making offers is often the best way to get a good deal on a name. I make a lot of them, but I would venture that I only get the name I want in the range I want about 2% of the time. As others have said, most have very high expectations for their names. But then those people are often looking for an end user sale, so more power to them.

•••
I find making offers is often the best way to get a good deal on a name. I make a lot of them, but I would venture that I only get the name I want in the range I want about 2% of the time. As others have said, most have very high expectations for their names. But then those people are often looking for an end user sale, so more power to them.

Sometimes I'm amazed when my offers are accepted. I don't really lowball, but I certainly aim lower than the true market value. Sadly, as you say, more often than not the offer is rejected or ignored. But well worth doing.

•••
Sometimes I'm amazed when my offers are accepted. I don't really lowball, but I certainly aim lower than the true market value. Sadly, as you say, more often than not the offer is rejected or ignored. But well worth doing.
I'm always surprised too! Sadly for us, most people who hold domains seem to have at least a reasonable (or exaggerated) idea of their optimal market value.

•••
Bidding in an auction could essentially be seen as a "make offer" situation. In that regard, guess I do make offers more often than not, after all.

Offer in an auction is "accepted" when no bids come afterwards and reaches end time. This is almost like an offer being outside the sellers control, where they have to accept regardless of whether a satisfactory offer has been made.

•••
I make offers on names at most of the market places.

•••
Bidding in an auction could essentially be seen as a "make offer" situation. In that regard, guess I do make offers more often than not, after all.

Offer in an auction is "accepted" when no bids come afterwards and reaches end time. This is almost like an offer being outside the sellers control, where they have to accept regardless of whether a satisfactory offer has been made.

BTW, do you bid on hidden reserve auctions?
I never do, it's a complete waste of time ...

•••
BTW, do you bid on hidden reserve auctions?
I never do, it's a complete waste of time ...
I keep away from those too, generally find them a drag.

•••
Made an offer for$3.5k for the/cannon/com few months back and the owner finally accepted last week.

•••

I could agree with that, if and when the reserve has been met, or there is no reserve.

but I don't count the $79 backorder fee as an offer, see it more as base cost to compete

:)

imo..

•••
I have enabled BestOffer mode on Sedo where my BINs are 3K or higher.
So BIN only if below 3K.

•••
This year, i have acquired everything i set out too. Exceeded my own expectations on that. All bin and price on request. For me "Make Offer" is a red flag i'm dealing with a inbred

Nothing was better than be quoted a extremely high price on a name, going back into the market and finding something 10x - for a 1/4 of the price. I did thoroughly enjoy smearing shit in the face of the seller who felt the need to talk the hind legs of a donkey to me, all i asked was the price, as they say "the best revenge is gigantic success"

The names i acquired were xx,xxx to xxx,xxx it helps to get on the telephone if the stakes are high, one seller stated it had nothing to do with the money they wanted to ensure it was going to the correct person and lofty offers had come in previously. "I can wire the money tomorrow" is how i take candy from a baby, music to the ears of a seller

In-difference is key. I would say i have told 5 or more sellers take your "make me an offer" and stick it up your *** Again huge red flag you're dealing with a schoolboy who has not come out of adolescence

Typically when they get skint or mismanage cash-flow they then spam you like flies on shit with reduction offers. Again huge red flag you're dealing with a over emotional seller don't waste your time

99/100 I typically stick my middle finger in the face of people who say "make me an offer" once those words come out. The deal is hosed/dead

Last edited:
•••
This year, i have acquired everything i set out too. Exceeded my own expectations on that. All bin and price on request. For me "Make Offer" is a red flag i'm dealing with a inbred

Nothing was better than be quoted a extremely high price on a name, going back into the market and finding something 10x - for a 1/4 of the price. I did thoroughly enjoy smearing sh*t in the face of the seller who felt the need to talk the hind legs of a donkey to me, all i asked was the price, as they say "the best revenge is gigantic success"

The names i acquired were xx,xxx to xxx,xxx it helps to get on the telephone if the stakes are high, one seller stated it had nothing to do with the money they wanted to ensure it was going to the correct person and lofty offers had come in previously. "I can wire the money tomorrow" is how i take candy from a baby, music to the ears of a seller

In-difference is key. I would say i have told 5 or more sellers take your "make me an offer" and stick it up your *** Again huge red flag you're dealing with a schoolboy who has not come out of adolescence

Typically when they get skint or mismanage cash-flow they then spam you like flies on sh*t with reduction offers. Again huge red flag you're dealing with a over emotional seller don't waste your time

99/100 I typically stick my middle finger in the face of people who say "make me an offer" once those words come out. The deal is hosed/dead

Wow! It is THAT personal to you, huh?

•••
This thread is helpful because I feel like I've blown 2 sales this week because I failed to name a price at first request. I was so afraid of leaving money on the table! Luckily, both failed conversations happened on the first day I listed the names, so hopefully there's time for redemption.

•••
I feel like I've blown 2 sales this week because I failed to name a price at first request.

I hope more people will realize this!

•••
I generally will pay the asking price on bins if reasonable that I find. I may make offer instead on names offered by email but only if better than what I have. I don't care for lesser quality.

Last edited:
•••
This thread is helpful because I feel like I've blown 2 sales this week because I failed to name a price at first request. I was so afraid of leaving money on the table! Luckily, both failed conversations happened on the first day I listed the names, so hopefully there's time for redemption.

Hi

all answers or replies are not definitive, in that they have to be applied to your strategy.
or what you did was the right or wrong thing to do
they are just responses to a situation, at a particular moment in time.

meaning.... :poop: can change, depending on the specific domain and time.

for instance, other day I got email asking if a NNL.com I have, is for sale.
(now mind you, it's on privacy by default and the inquirer sent the email to the privacy addy)

so, I replied, "what's your offer"?
they replied with 4 figure amount
and I replied, "Thanks, but it's too low to consider"

I didn't give a price either, and I still own the domain
if they want it, then they will submit a higher offer, if not, then i'll forget about it.

moral of the story, sometimes you leave money on the table, simply because it's not enough.

imo...

•••
98% of this industry is made up of domain nerds making offers on each others' names :xf.wink:

•••
98% of this industry is made up of domain nerds making offers on each others' names :xf.wink:

You know this how? Absolute majority of my sales/offers are from end users.

•••
You know this how? Absolute majority of my sales/offers are from end users.

The vast majority of sales are under $100 -- most of these are not end-users

•••
Back