IT.COM

Do You Actively Avoid 1and1?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you avoid registering domains at 1and1 and would you use them if they allowed for a domain "Push"

• 55 votes
  • Ended 6 years ago
  • Final results

Domain_Stir

Established Member
Impact
Ok... Long time users... please bear with me here.

I'm sure you're sick of seeing posts of 1and1 domain transfer horror stories. I've searched the history here and am well aware this not a new topic, but I just wanted to get a sense of how many people in this profession:

1. Absolutely avoid 1and1 for not allowing easier, more cost efficient way of domain transfer (no existing user "push" option)
  2. Avoid purchasing domains from sellers who list their domains as being registered at 1and1
  3. Would you consider using them if they changed their transfer policy and enabled the ability to "push" domains to existing users?
I just want to get a metric to see just how many people avoid that registrar and also see if you think that if we (as a community) think it might be beneficial to petition? Change.org? Ok... now I understand this isn't a major issue plaguing society or some movement to weed out social injustice but if your like me it's been a real road block to efficient transactions and... in some cases, your stuck holding a fairly significant amount of inventory.

This will probably turn out to be a relatively small sample but I'm just interested to see if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile? Take the poll, chime in below. Would really love to get peoples take on this.

Below are a few Change.org example petitions requesting companies change/adjust their services/corp policy. How many signatures do you think it would take to see any kind movement on this issue by 1and1 on this?

• Tell BOA to not end their free checking (379,671 signatures)
  • McDonalds: Its time for a healthy, meatless option (118,271 signatures)
  • Tell Walmart, target and Toys R Us to give their employees the Thanksgiving day off (82,105 signatures)
  • Bring the 2015 Civic Type R VTEC Turbo to North America (24,539 signatures)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I heard 1and1 actually have a billing cycle.. probably not same for all accounts.. which explains the invoice delays you speak of.

so you essentially get billed once per month.. for all your activity.

Not sure about their billing cycle but what I know is that every time I make a domain transfer to 1and1, I'm not paying anything for it right at that moment which is typically done on other registrars. I'm being made to pay for the incoming domain transfer some time later (for a number of weeks, it varies).

•••
Indeed they are a hosting company, domain names are a natural extension of their business, not their core activity. It's two different things. Use a webhost for hosting, and a registrar for domain names. Using one single company for both is not a good proposition.

Also, since they are German they have a different approach to domain names, that is not natural for domainers who are not German. .de names have no expiry date, they are renewed forever (usually charged by the month), if you no longer want the domain names, you have to renounce them explicitly. Not paying the bill does not constitute formal abandonment.
If you don't pay the bill the registry (Denic) will take over and demand payment. Austria works the same.
At least this is good for inheritance. If you die your heirs can receive your assets.

I mentioned it in a different reply and may be showing my naivete but their help page is pretty specific in stating

"If you no longer wish to extend the expiration date of your domain, you can cancel your domain or let it expire on its expiration date. Extending the expiration date of an additional domain will be billed with the yearly fee according to the domain's corresponding price.

If you deactivate the automatic renewal for your domain, it will be cancelled on the next registration date."

You mentioned explicitly renouncing them. How would you recommend doing so? Not to be funny but there isn't exactly a "renounce domain" option that i am aware of. Is this something you need to do in writing. I have a few domains coming up for renewal over there, and IF I can't sell them in that time what kind notice would be ideal? Again not being funny or disrespectful. Serious question.

•••
@Domain_Stir - why did your domains end up @ 1and1 ? Not a domainer-oriented registrar. Is there anything special?

•••
@Domain_Stir - why did your domains end up @ 1and1 ? Not a domainer-oriented registrar. Is there anything special?

they are known to offer some reg promos I think
to attract domainers.. cause they know they have bad rep everywhere

whcih is why so often you get these threads where domainers ask others if they are good registrar.. cause on one hand you can save few dollars.. and on the other.. you have all the bad reviews and risks :)

•••
The thread is 3 pages long. I think @Domain_Stir may save some time and avoid current push issues and potential future issues by transferring all domains away to some other registrar, such as NameSilo or GoDaddy where transfer-in prices are about "at cost".

•••
Apparently a newb mistake. First domains I ever purchased getting into domaining. Did tons of research before diving in (except on different types of ownership transfer, apparently) and they were offering a special where I could get the domains I wanted for more than half off the competitors. I hadn't had an issue with transfers until recently because all my previous sales were brokered through sedo and afternic. Once I tried to auction off a few I ran into the issue.

•••
The thread is 3 pages long. I think @Domain_Stir may save some time and avoid current push issues and potential future issues by transferring all domains away to some other registrar, such as NameSilo or GoDaddy where transfer-in prices are about "at cost".

I'm on shoestring and was unloading a few so i wouldn't take a total loss. I do this on the side, not full time, yet... The majority of the others are .io and I cant do the $35-45 per domain transfer. That's all beside the point though. I definitely plan on doing things much differently going forward. I appreciate the advice, but I am just trying to gauge sentiment toward the registrar and seeing the implications on sales. That's all really. I noticed a precipitous drop in views for domains once the registrar was listed and was amazed. I've seen the negative sentiment but I didn't realize just how deep it went and its direct measurable affect on Sales.

•••
No matter if they give domains for free or pay me to take them, I would not accept - the hell of dealing with their systems and failures and collection agencies is not worth it. They were refusing to sort stuff out by email and told me I must ring a number that was actually disconnected. Also they said you could pay by Paypal, payments kept failing, then the collection agency letters started.

Any domain you do not want renewed I'd say get an email from their support confirming it will not be renewed - you need that to argue with them when they say your "contract" lets them autorenew in advance.

Also delete all payment details. If you can't delete CC details, sometimes you can enter PP details, then delete CC, then go to Paypal and disable recurring/subscription/automatic payments to that merchant. Prevention is better than cure.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1a...-8-months-after-repeated-cancelations.847487/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1a...rties-confiscated-4-different-excuses.852195/

Last edited:
•••
Prevention is better than cure.
Well said! I'd add just one thing - it would be better to transfer away what needs to be renewed first, and start cancelling domains, deleting payment methods etc. later - on the second step. If their system indeed works like shown in various examples we have - then there is a risk of an account being locked, remaining good domains also canceled if they "misunderstand" the request, etc, etc.

•••
No matter if they give domains for free or pay me to take them, I would not accept - the hell of dealing with their systems and failures and collection agencies is not worth it. They were refusing to sort stuff out and told me I must ring a number that was actually disconnected. Also they said you could pay by Paypal, payments kept failing, then the collection agency letters started.

Any domain you do not want renewed I'd say get an email from their support confirming it will not be renewed - you need that to argue with them when they say your "contract" lets them autorenew in advance.

Also delete all payment details. If you can't delete CC details, sometimes you can enter PP details, then delete CC, then go to Paypal and disable recurring/subscription/automatic payments to that merchant. Prevention is better than cure.

Considering all options at this point but I was hoping that with enough data we (as a community) might be able to get them to appeal to some kind of logic. Again, just wanted to have some kind of data to see if petition for a change might be worthwhile. Hadn't seen that tactic on the message boards yet other than the usual "I am an unhappy customer who feels duped" type of post. Thinking of coming at this from a different angle since the unhappy cust route doesn't seem to get anywhere with them. Ha!

•••
•••
I have one domain left there and i don't list it anywhere and hope they choke on it.

•••
•••
I transferred out one domain from 1&1 to GoDaddy & it was a smooth transaction.

Also,

I just recently transfered a .co domain from Whois to 1&1 it was another great experience from 1&1

transfer in should not be the issue

listen to other domainers

•••
transfer in should not be the issue

listen to other domainers
What ever the issue, fuck off, I don't care. I am in India, they are German, there is another law & here is only one law. You can skip any proceeding against you if someone of your in power.

PS. Most of my domain get renewed, I don't think there is any treat for me, as they are allowing me to transfer out to another cheap register.

•••
What ever the issue, f*ck off, I don't care. I am in India, they are German, there is another law & here is only one law. You can skip any proceeding against you if someone of your in power.

PS. Most of my domain get renewed, I don't think there is any treat for me, as they are allowing me to transfer out to another cheap register.

good to see you don't care
so I can f* off

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back