NameSilo

poll Do we need another Brandable Marketplace?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do we need another Brandable Marketplace?

• 17 votes
  • Ended 9 years ago
  • Final results
Impact
Personally, I use Brandbucket and Namerific, but was wondering if we really need another one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. We need better brandable domain names.

•••
If you are thinking about opening a brandables marketplace. You have a lot of work ahead of you. But Good Luck.

•••
Hard shot to call really, depends on the new marketplace. If they can do stuff better and or attract more costumers.

•••
The way I look at it today...
1) BrandBucket : Very nice., but getting crowded
2) Brandroot : Good, but ... mmmm... let me not say my opinion, I believe they have enough negative marketing on the forum here :)
3) Namerific : Good but need more work on logo design and overall website appeal

If one is to make a decent one today, there will always be a chance and room for more domains..

Just a thought,, dont have the cash yet, but just thinking of it!

•••
I'm not sure that we necessarily need more brandable marketplaces, but as a seller I do not see any harm with more options

No. We need better brandable domain names.

Will you elaborate on that?

•••
sure we do - i want to list domain names faster than 2 months.

•••
I'm not convinced there's a need for the brandable marketplaces we already have, but I don't see any harm in adding another.

•••
There are other brandable marketplaces out there besides the big 3, they were not created for a need. Margot made a lot of money selling her brandables and saw a niche to make more money. No surprise BrandRoot and Namerific came from being successful on Brand Bucket.

•••
There are other brandable marketplaces out there besides the big 3, they were not created for a need. Margot made a lot of money selling her brandables and saw a niche to make more money. No surprise BrandRoot and Namerific came from being successful on Brand Bucket.

I cant agree more, but what I mean is, a Brandable Marketplace shouldnt contain more than a few thousand domains at a time. A startup wants to come in and be able to browse through a specific niche within a few minutes, but being overcrowded doesnt give much room for such.
And frankly speaking, BB has been really frustrating with the time consumed for review and listing! More than 10 weeks now I would say! thats almost 1/4 a year! FOr a large business on relying on using them, its a big loss just this period!

•••
Will you elaborate on that?
If you want to create another brandable marketplace today, I'm sure you want to avoid the problems with the big 3 marketplaces as at today, which are:

1. Long wait times
2. Overcrowding
3. Commission

I can assure you that if the new marketplace becomes successful, these three problems will later plague it (by successful, I mean 'selling a lot of names'). Those who joined BB and BR at their inception can testify that long wait times and overcrowded names were not there in the beginning. The very success of those marketplaces led to those problems.

What we need is good brandable domain names that can stand out in an overcrowded marketplace. A lot of us go over drop lists everyday and some names really stand out despite being buried in a list of 10,000 names. I'm sure that an enduser may not have those skills and tools that help domainers find gems in the rough but better brandable domain names makes their search easier.

Good brandable names will sell, either on BB, BR, Sedo or GoDaddy. No amount of marketplaces created will sell a bad name.

•••
Hard shot to call really, depends on the new marketplace. If they can do stuff better and or attract more costumers.
Attracting more customers cost money, so commission will most likely be at par with the Big 3. The two other problems I listed above will still come if the marketplace becomes successful, unless the new marketplace is owned by an individual or group of domainers who doesn't accept outsider names (which will not make it a 'marketplace' in the OP's sense).

•••
Brand Bucket and Brandroot sell very similar names. They are almost an exact mirror of each other. Namerific on the other hand sells names that you would never see on BB or Brandroot. Names like FreePromoCodes, PolicyDealers, DependableMaids, FavoriteDrinks etc…..you would never see on the other two marketplaces.

Personally I think the acceptance of these type of names is why Zane left Namerific. These are names I don't think he would approve of and maybe him and Michael didn't see eye to eye on this. These not so unique names clutter up these type of sites. If I was a startup searching for a name I would not want to waste my time going through a site that has names like DependableTowing, NinjaShirt, and FishingSupplyStore. I am not saying they are bad names but not the type of names that should be listed in my opinion.

•••
I'm sure another brandable marketplace could accommodate all those people willing to throw away 30% of their domain sales after having thrown more cash into a splashy logo that represents really nothing at all.

•••
What we need is good brandable domain names that can stand out in an overcrowded marketplace.

Good brandable names will sell, either on BB, BR, Sedo or GoDaddy. No amount of marketplaces created will sell a bad name.
Two fantastic quotes. Domainers, take heed!

•••
Guys... Im thinking to do one maybe in a couple of months..
I can do the following :
1) Buying a decent domain for the business.
2) List all my brandable domains there (around 200 at least). which should be a decent start.
3) Advertise on Domaining forums initially to get names. (Hopefully I can get 500 accepted names in teh first 2 months).
4) Pay a decent design agency for the design.

but I DONT know how to do the following :
1) Write a description for the domains! Is this something I can outsource?
2) Logo Designs . Will hire someone for this. So its solvable.
3) I will struggle sometimes in really reviewing some of the domains. My english is good, but Im not a native English speaker, some of the locally commonly used terms, Im not familiar with. I hope this doesnt ruin it :)

Based on my Business plan, I need to sell at least 250K worth domains in the first year. Thats to cover the expenses listed above alone, and become profitable afterwards.

I need feedback based on this input. Im open to guidance and would acknowledge modifications.

Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back