IT.COM

advice Do people in the USA have to pay tax when transacting with Cryptos?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tunababa8v

Established Member
Impact
I saw this on a group I belonged to on Facebook.The dude said he received this letter from IRS.
IMG_20190728_112344_172.JPG

I am asking because I wouldn't want to fall fowl of the law when I am in this position

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes of course. People in the US who thought they can avoid taxes forever by accepting crypto payment are delusional.

By the end of August, an estimated 10,000 taxpayers will receive letters from the IRS warning them that they may owe back taxes on unreported cryptocurrency earnings. While it might not be immediately obvious, you must include cryptocurrency earnings when you file federal taxes. As with tax evasion for traditional currency, anyone convicted of evading crypto taxes could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Last edited:
•••
Yes of course. People in the US who thought they can avoid taxes forever by accepting crypto payment are delusional.
I thought crypto payments are untraceable and cant be subjected to any law

•••
It is treated as capital gains -

Sell off before owning for a year or more and it’s 30% tax (short term gain). Sell after owning for a year and it’s 15% tax (long term gain).

•••
Nothing is really untraceable on the internet by the government . They of course want their share (tax) of any currency a person takes in.

•••
[URL='https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-has-begun-sending-letters-to-virtual-currency-owners-advising-them-to-pay-back-taxes-file-amended-returns-part-of-agencys-larger-efforts' said:
letters from the IRS[/URL] warning them that they may owe back taxes on unreported cryptocurrency earnings.

This sums it up. Thanks. But isn't it ironic you want taxes on crypto transaction when they(the government) have been preaching against it. I know for sure Trumps doesnt like anything related to bitcoins

•••
Nothing is really untraceable on the internet by the government . They of course want their share (tax) of any currency a person takes in.
Really! When tax on drugs?

First tell the government to recognize crypto currency then come up with proper regulations and then collect tax on it.

•••
Oh they recognize it and want their cut. No need to shoot the messenger. I just can’t believe people thought they could hide income/assets from the government for very long.

Last edited:
•••
While it is advisable to declare assets and pay taxes, isn't it hypocritical of the government to stand against something and still want to benefit from it?. A standard case of "eating your cake and still having it"

Last edited:
•••
I don’t think they are against it. They are against no regulation and hiding assets. It’s the price we pay as citizens of a nation— we have to pay taxes on all earnings and assets. They probably lump crypto in the same category as the stock exchange which you also have to claim gains and losses.

•••
The IRS is supposed to come out with revised crypto guidance in the next several months. At the moment a crypto position such as bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin, etc is like a stock. One can buy crypto and hold (realizing appreciation) without having to pay taxes until the position is sold. The sale of a crypto position is what triggers a tax liability (long or short term depending on holding period of one year or less). However, due to the volatility of cryptocurrencies, sometimes people want to take profits. But before selling one needs to consider not only the tax implications but how far down that crypto price would have to fall before you would buy it again. Maybe you would have been better off just holding for the long term (because it may not correct that much).

One thing that I find unfair about the current tax law is that it does not consider swaps into other currencies as like kind exchanges. Many exchanges have bitcoin or ethereum trading pairs and the only means of acquiring many alt coins is to acquire bitcoin or ethereum first. So for example if you acquired bitcoin at $5000 several months ago and wanted to exchange it for an equivalent amount of Cardano, doing so would trigger a tax liability on the difference in your acquisition price $5000 and the price at the date of the exchange. However, the conversion would not yield cash proceeds to allow you to pay the tax liability. Very unfair in my opinion given that like kind exchange treatment is allowed for real estate transactions. As well, under current current law, using bitcoin to make retail purchases such as electronics would also generate a tax liability based on the appreciation from the acquisition date. So the law stifles innovation because it makes using crypto for normal transactions impractical. No one wants to have a multi-page schedule C as a result of numerous small-dollar crypto retail purchases.

•••
So the law stifles innovation because it makes using crypto for normal transactions impractical. No one wants to have a multi-page schedule C as a result of numerous small-dollar crypto retail purchases.

This is where the major problem is.

The IRS is supposed to come out with revised crypto guidance in the next several month

This is the solution or they might be having a lot of tax defaulter to deal with. Crypto is the future,the earlier they accept and make proper policies about it the better

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back