IT.COM

Do I need to be cautious?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Marlen

Impact
I have an aged domain, but just have very recently been getting a lot of emails coming through for someone mistakenly using the domain address. This has happened before with other people, and I have forwarded the emails on, because the people had websites with similar names/different extensions.

This time though, I am slightly suspicious. On checking, I see that someone else who appears to be connected to the individual I think these emails are for, bought up all the available extensions of the domain I have, and longer versions of the name, a few months back. They don't appear to have any websites live on these names though.

I was going to contact the connected person who is the registrant of the similar names, and let them know I am getting lots of emails/newsletter sign ups in my domain that I think are for them, but then thought better of it. Would there be any reason to be cautious in contacting them on this?

The domain is available for sale, buy it now, no ads. No recent interest in the domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get lots of emails intended for other people with similar domain names to quite a few of my names.

I tend to pass on the emails intended for them:
1) to help them
2) to build a rapport with them should they be interested in buying my name in the future

I don't ask them to buy my name - if they are really interested and seriously want it, they will come to me since they now know me and hopefully appreciate the emails being forwarded!

Should I get offers from other parties, then I will be certain to let the owners of the similar names know, to give them a chance to buy the name if they so wish.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back