IT.COM

Do companies have the RIGHT domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Exposed: The domain name shame of failing firms
What's in a name? Everything apparently...

Businesses making the move online are falling at the very first hurdle, as too many fail to register an appropriate or memorable domain name.

Business is literally passing these companies by as users fail to find them online, and recent research has put the cost of those missed opportunities in the millions.

Almost three quarters of respondents said they had tried and failed to find a company's online presence, while 71 per cent said they had switched to a rival company after failing to find the one they were looking for.

Seventy-four per cent of users assume a company's web address will be of the Companyname.com convention, and that is invariably the first guess, but a confusing use of hyphens and a proliferation of suffixes such as .co.uk, .net, and .tv have complicated matters to the point that many businesses are letting themselves be overlooked.

The research found the majority of internet users (60 per cent) will have up to three goes at guessing a domain, but then they will move on elsewhere.

Full article
http://silicon.com/news/500022-500001/1/5991.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ahhh, another Silicon Reader ;) Me to, avidly...hehe

It's true. I'm talking to a company at the moment, trying to exaplin to them, the domain they would "ideally" like, is IDEAL for them, yet, will cost them $2500 there abouts.

Well worth it. VERY good marketing ability to the name also. Something u can take to TV and not feel ashamed about and punters will remember, BUT, there view is, i dunnno if i wanna spend that cash.

Welp, part of my job is to convince them to. :)

we shall see. Good thread RJ ! :)

Matt

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back