Dynadot

DM vs. PM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know I have a zillion stars next to my name, but I’m really a domaining newbie—as l signed on to NP about a dozen years ago, but then quit domaining soon after signing up—until about three months ago.

My question: In Request Domains, respondents answer with DM or PM. I’m assuming D is for Direct and P is for Private.

Some domain requesters provide a DM link. Is there any advantage to using either, and can you send a Direct Message if no link is provided, and if you simply reply in the box provided—is that a Private Message?

And why do responders identify how they responded: PM or DM?

Answers will be much appreciated, and l will pay forward your efforts!

Lew Riley, aka The Kavorka Kid

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are the same thing but some forums use DM (direct message) and some PM (private message) and people will always confuse them

•••
If you reply in the comments box in the thread, that is a public post - i.e. this post I am writing now. If you want to reply to the person in private you can either click the button that says send direct message (if it is a domain request) or you can click the profile picture of the person and click send direct message on the pop up that appears.

When people say PM sent or DM, both are talking about the same thing - i.e. a message to the person directly instead of publicly. Some people just prefer to say DM over PM and vice versa.

Not sure what you mean by DP vs NP in your thread title though.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
•••
You helped immensely, my friend! Thank you so very much. I don’t know what l meant by DP vs. NP—must have meant DM vs. PM. By the way, you handle the English language flawlessly—unlike too many Americans. Trust me, as l teach English to college students.

Now l feel as if I can reply to Direct Requests like at least a Semi-Pro.

I will pay your above-and-beyond guidance forward!

Lew Riley

•••
You helped immensely, my friend! Thank you so very much. I don’t know what l meant by DP vs. NP—must have meant DM vs. PM. By the way, you handle the English language flawlessly—unlike too many Americans. Trust me, as l teach English to college students.

Now l feel as if I can reply to Direct Requests like at least a Semi-Pro.

I will pay your above-and-beyond guidance forward!

Lew Riley

P.s. if you click the reply button on a comment, like I just did with yours, the commenter gets notified that you have replied.

Thanks for the compliment :)

•••
Now if you can tell me how to correctly post a domain name in the daily free NP Domain Auction space. I know there are directions, but though l’m English-savvy, I am technologically illiterate. For example, I have no Idea what a URL is or where to find it.

•••
I’m assuming D is for Direct and P is for Private.
Yes. Many platforms are switching away from calling them "private" because that implies a certain level of privacy that may not exist. For example, the person you send the message to could share it publicly or add someone else to the conversation, which are actions you may not expect to happen if it were called Private Messaging. Therefore, we've opted to call them Direct Messages, similar to emails. They are between you and the recipients, but there's no guarantee what the recipient will do with the messages or who else they will add to the conversation (similar to how someone could forward an email you sent them to someone else).

And why do responders identify how they responded: PM or DM?
In this case, they're synonymous, but some members still call them PM whereas we prefer everyone to call them DM for accuracy.

For example, I have no Idea what a URL is or where to find it.
You can find the URL by visiting your auction listing and then copying it from your browser's address bar (it will begin with namepros.com/threads/). Once you have the URL copied to your clipboard, you can follow these instructions to create the necessary link:
Free auction promotion: Learn more.

•••
Yes. Many platforms are switching away from calling them "private" because that implies a certain level of privacy that may not exist. For example, the person you send the message to could share it publicly or add someone else to the conversation, which are actions you may not expect to happen if it were called Private Messaging. Therefore, we've opted to call them Direct Messages, similar to emails. They are between you and the recipients, but there's no guarantee what the recipient will do with the messages or who else they will add to the conversation (similar to how someone could forward an email you sent them to someone else).

In this case, they're synonymous, but some members still call them PM whereas we prefer everyone to call them DM for accuracy.

You can find the URL by visiting your auction listing and then copying it from your browser's address bar (it will begin with namepros.com/threads/). Once you have the URL copied to your clipboard, you can follow these instructions to create the necessary link:
Free auction promotion: Learn more.
I think he wants to know how to post in the auction section. @Lewstar you can do this by clicking the link below and then click the blue button labelled "create new thread".

Here is the link to the auctions section. https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-auctions.63/

@Support Team are very knowledgeable and can help you with any questions. They will show you the proper way of doing things whereas the link I just posted is a shortcut to get you where you want to be for now.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome—you even spelled “compliment” correctly unlike most. I get a kick
out of it when a co-Ed who is behind in her homework writes, “Please bare with me.”

No more off-the-topic posts—promise.

•••
also, the reason they put "pm sent" in the thread is so they don't repeat send to the same auction. ty.

•••

Yup.... never assume a PM is a private message, I see them shared all the time and there is no way that can be prevented. One cannot control what people do after you send them a message so assume the message may be shared. Behave like an adult and don't say anything that would embarrass you if it were posted on a public forum.

I personally like the Direct Message Title far better because it does not imply privacy. (y)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back