Dynadot

Disturbing Flippa Auction: Scam or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I don't know what is the real intention of the seller but selling an unknown domain for $800,000 is a little bit disturbing.

flippa.com/auctions/123280/Pro-Smoking-Lobby

What do you think? Is he just wanted to enjoy the traffic by posting it for 5 months?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a scam. Over priced. Someone who wants to get rich overnight.

•••
I though he has a sticky letter O.. LOL

•••
•••
Hmmmm... looks like he's overvalued his domain/website or is looking to gain traffic from the listing. My bet would be for the traffic.

•••
Overvalued. That isn't a $10,000 domain let alone an $800,000 domain.

Not exactly the first domainer to use the wishful thinking method of wealth creation.

•••
I hadn't thought of using a flippa listing to inflate traffic counts. I had only recently started visiting them and was amazed at the percentage of utter junk listed there. "My six week old website got 500,000 unique visitors and made big bucks" kind of stuff.

•••
Is that site for real? Or is it a scam? Domains like arcadevoyage.com sold for $7,500?!?! I swear I snubbed that domain like 6 times for reg fee lol.

And it costs $19 to list! What?! Thats such a rip off

•••
Hi guys, I own this domain and tbh am pretty surprised at the comments. I didn't realise it would raise the hackles so much and the abuse I've copped for posting it has been pretty amazing. Definitely an eye opener. But I'll keep my manners in.

It's actually a genuine auction/sale and here's the situation. When you list a sale at Flippa you only get the option to nominate one price and one time frame (6 mths was the max so I chose that). Now, I don't know how it's going to go so I've priced it high and allowed a lot of time to go by to see how it goes. That makes business sense as I think I can drop the price if nothing happens. I'm just trying to feel out the market. No point in underselling it I reckon.

For the record when I registered it in 08 a big "This is a premium domain" sign came up so as far as I know it is a premium domain. Now, I registered it because in Oz the smoking laws are getting ridiculous. The initial idea was to see what support for a smoking lobby there was. And that's still the purpose. Getting it off the ground has been an interesting experience but, that's another story. What I can say is the pc crowd are in full swing and I see them chipping away at our civil liberties. Some might be happy to relinquish them but I'm not.

From my perspective if it sells, fine, if it doesn't, fine. But within the next six months I plan to pitch it to different companies who have a vested interest in smoking. If someone with more clout than I decides to take it off my hands, great, otherwise I'll just keep going with it. All I lose is the listing fee so it's worth a shot.

Anyway, hope that sheds some light.

•••
I had my premium domain up for sale on Flippa and I ran into similar problems, in reverse. I didn't want to set a very high price (so that it wouldn't seem unreasonable) so I just did a Private Sale. The price that I paid for not setting a price is that the sale becomes virtually invisible to the audience, since it doesn't show on any searches or sorting of feature listings. It is an unfortunate design that Flippa decided to embrace. Since, I didn't want to pay $40 every couple of days to bump my name, I decided to just delist and go elsewhere.

Lots of times there is reason behind the madness, but you have to actually go through the whole thought process to understand why certain decisions are made in a certain manner.

Rich

•••
For the record when I registered it in 08 a big "This is a premium domain" sign came up so as far as I know it is a premium domain.
The "premium" label has been abused by the industry to the point where it means nothing. This domain is a premium domain only by the most liberal definition of the word. Honestly, if you offered to give me the domain I wouldn't bother taking it. Most people here wouldn't.

But welcome to NamePros :). Everyone starts somewhere. I flushed thou$ands down the toilet before I was able to recognize what was decent in each category.

•••
Hi guys, I own this domain and

Have you sold your domain? I see the website hasn't been updated for a year so I think it was a forgotten domain?

•••
Hi guys, I own this domain and tbh am pretty surprised at the comments. I didn't realise it would raise the hackles so much and the abuse I've copped for posting it has been pretty amazing. Definitely an eye opener. But I'll keep my manners in.

It's actually a genuine auction/sale and here's the situation. When you list a sale at Flippa you only get the option to nominate one price and one time frame (6 mths was the max so I chose that). Now, I don't know how it's going to go so I've priced it high and allowed a lot of time to go by to see how it goes. That makes business sense as I think I can drop the price if nothing happens. I'm just trying to feel out the market. No point in underselling it I reckon.

For the record when I registered it in 08 a big "This is a premium domain" sign came up so as far as I know it is a premium domain. Now, I registered it because in Oz the smoking laws are getting ridiculous. The initial idea was to see what support for a smoking lobby there was. And that's still the purpose. Getting it off the ground has been an interesting experience but, that's another story. What I can say is the pc crowd are in full swing and I see them chipping away at our civil liberties. Some might be happy to relinquish them but I'm not.

From my perspective if it sells, fine, if it doesn't, fine. But within the next six months I plan to pitch it to different companies who have a vested interest in smoking. If someone with more clout than I decides to take it off my hands, great, otherwise I'll just keep going with it. All I lose is the listing fee so it's worth a shot.

Anyway, hope that sheds some light.

prosmokinglobby.com.au is available to hand register .....save $800,00 today!

•••
•••
Hooray for that person to be named champ for dumbass move of the day. LMAO.

•••
Wow. This thread is over 1year old. :kickass:

the name is available regardless of thread age , seems we here in australia are not too fussed about the new smoking laws ....no lobby as yet

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back