NameSilo

discuss Direct Messages Updated

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good stuff.

Are these changes baked in with xF or did you guys hack in the changes yourself?

If the former then thanks for letting us know .. but if the later then thanks for letting us know AND .. REALLY nice/smart hack job! :)

One thing I'd like to see "fixed" (probably xL level), is to have our messages index page mini-avatars done in a way so that it always shows the other person. When I go down my list of old messages to look for one from a specific member, it's so much faster if by chance their avatar is the one that shows up as opposed to my own (kinda redundant because I'm in pretty much every conversation in my inbox)

I suppose an even better way of doing it would be for the index level avatar to show as the first person who posted in the conversation that is not ourself. Then have a mini-embedded avatar for the last person who posted (which could be ourself), like how the forum indexes embed our own logos for threads we posted in. Obviously both avatars would be the same if the same person who started the conversation is also the last person who posted in it (which is fine in my mind because each gives us pertinent and useful information).

•••
Are these changes baked in with xF or did you guys hack in the changes yourself?
Some features are standard by the forum software (e.g., starring), some are custom-built by NamePros (e.g., archiving and muting), and some are part of add-on's (e.g., search).

When I go down my list of old messages to look for one from a specific member, it's so much faster if by chance their avatar is the one that shows up as opposed to my own (kinda redundant because I'm in pretty much every conversation in my inbox)
The profile picture shown is of whoever started the conversation. If you started the conversation, you'll see your avatar. If someone else started it, you'll see theirs.

I suppose an even better way of doing it would be for the index level avatar to show as the first person who posted in the conversation that is not ourself.
That could be done, but then it would be inconsistent and some members may want to know at a glance which conversations they started.

Then have a mini-embedded avatar for the last person who posted (which could be ourself), like how the forum indexes embed our own logos for threads we posted in. Obviously both avatars would be the same if the same person who started the conversation is also the last person who posted in it (which is fine in my mind because each gives us pertinent and useful information).
This is a fun idea. :)

Thanks for sharing it.

When I go down my list of old messages to look for one from a specific member
You can use the Display Options for that:
  1. Display Options
  2. Show only conversations: Received by
  3. Enter the username
  4. Set Options

We hope that helps.

•••
call me stupid but where is the link to the muted msgs box?
archived box?

ty

•••
where is the link to the muted msgs box?
archived box?
In the sub-navigation bar underneath "Home" and "News" when you are viewing Direct Messages.

We'll update the guide since it is easy to miss.

Thanks.

•••
Bit of a quick side question ... specifically because I had issues searching for DM's in the past ..

If the other person in a two-person dialogue deletes the conversation, is it also deleted for you?

•••
I had issues searching for DM's in the past
If you left a conversation using the old system, it likely would not show in search. However, it may have shown in search until the techs did an index update.

The old system ("Leave Conversation") has been replaced, so that won't be a problem moving forward.

If the other person in a two-person dialogue deletes the conversation, is it also deleted for you?
No, the conversation belongs to each participant equally, so what one participant does to it on their account does not affect the conversation on your account with these exceptions: title changes, replying, and adding participants.

•••
where is the link to the muted msgs box?
archived box?
It's been updated to be more noticeable and easy to access.

It also has unread counters now. :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back