Dynadot

advice Did you ever had this experience..?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vravis9

Top Member
Impact
Hi...

I will keep it short...

I received a call asking if I need assistance in developing my newly bought domain..

I was puzzled and before I replied they said they are calling about xxxx.us domain...

I registered it on 31st July at NamecName... I didn't revealed to anyone about this domain name.

This is first time I got unsolicited commercial communication call (in short UCC) even when I am complete DND and I sent complaint right away to my telecom operator.

After an hour again they called from different number... again they disconnected abruptly when I asked how did you get my number...

I contacted NameCheap and they clarified there is no whois privacy provided for .us extension...they said they are sorry and can't help.

Of course it is mentioned while purchasing this..

Do you think everything is clear? No..!!

I was thinking how did they get my number....to get my number they need to know my domain and it should not have any privacy protection on it...

Let me tell you something... I did shared this only one person...that is with one of NamePros member... I offered it for sale...as it fits his mentioned criteria...

Do you know why I think it is not possible for outsiders to guess and then check whois records for contact details...?!
Because the mentioned domain is a hack and not exact word..and I mentioned only one person here on NamePros...and I got calls regarding the same name just after 3days of registering the name...and it is not exactly a name...it's a hack!!

What are odds...?!

I still don't want to think soeme how the name is slipped out through this member...

My question is...

- should I report to NamePros (I don't want to)
- one more thought is...do you think the outsiders are searching names with particular extensions at some registrars knowing privacy protection is not available?! ( That sounds very advanced method to get contact information and scary at same time)
- do you ever had this type of experience with .us or any other extensions?!

Please advise me and tell me if I am the only one to face this?!

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don’t think you should call anyone out because you have no proof. It’s also completely normal for people to make contact and start marketing to you their unrequested services if you have no privacy.

I had one domain registered with no privacy by accident. I got emails and physical mailings for a year after I put it under privacy.

There are vultures out there for sure but you can’t ever know the source so don’t blame the NP member when it was probably not him/her.

Last edited:
•••
same - I get 3/4 calls a week

Just hang up and block the number - takes 30 seconds of your time

•••
I get these calls and emails every day, even with domains with privacy. I am guessing either there is something exposed we dont know about OR the people contacting us are "doing their homework" to figure out who to call OR the registrar is selling the info.

For the emails I just delete.
For the phone calls I have "Hiya" installed on my cell phone. If it doesnt already get them, I report and block them after the first try. Often I can google their phone number and see they are web developers and have complaints.

It's tedious, but I block them quickly and they move on.

•••
Do you know why I think it is not possible for outsiders to guess and then check whois records for contact details...?!
You think wrong! Go read up on Zone files and that should help you understand how spammers can figure out a newly registered domain. Once they have a list, getting the whois itself is fairly easy!

•••
I get daily calls and emails for domain web/logo/content you name it, Some of the domains I dropped years ago. There has been a surge over the last year or two for all services. (particularly from India) They are all scrambling for a small piece of the same pie. I like the way some of them even talk to you has if they have done work for you before.

It's a price you pay for being on the domain radar and yep forget about Privacy, that's just there to pacify the frightful. get comfortable with the delete trigger and the ignore button or forget about registering domains

Last edited:
•••
Yep the calls are so bad I now leave my phone off for about 2 or 3 weeks at a time and let the voicemails fill up til they can't be left anymore.

•••
its not an experience...its spam

•••
I get around 20 calls to my cell phone every day from web guys in India alone. Here's a tip for you Indian web guys calling us relentlessly every day. If you would simply filter out large domain owners from your calling lists, then you would save a lot of man hours not calling people who will NEVER do any business with you!!!

•••
That has become a part of domaining. You are going to get such mails and calls. There is nothing u can do to avoid them.

•••
As others have stated, this kind of unwanted intrusion comes with the territory.

If you are in the US and have VOIP phone service, engage the free services of nomorobo.com. It also works with some mobile networks.

You can trace the true origin of spam email and file a report directed to the offending service provider with a free account at spamcop.net. I have used their service since 1998 and used to report all spam; now I only report the ones that leak through to my inbox, ignoring the ones my email provider has labeled junk.

•••
Usually this happens when we buy names in promos. So adding fake mobile number and secondary email id with these registrars is only option.

As I see you are from India hence good news is Govt. of India very soon going to adopt "Right to Privacy - Personal Data Protection Bill, 2018, recognizes privacy as a fundamental right."

•••
Hey, but don't let any of the tons of posts about spam related to newly registered domains keep you from throwing unwarranted passive aggressive accusations around.

•••
Without Whois privacy it has been my experience that you always get calls and email and they start right after registration, often within hours. Almost all of them seem to be from the India time zone (not all, occasional US or Russia one, I don't think I have ever got one except those three countries). As others have said block number even though its a pain. I am sure it has nothing to do with anyone that you communicated with on NamePros.

•••
Simple:
Don't pick up the phone if you don't recognize the number.
If something is important they will leave a message.
Cool down, relax to keep your blood pressure down and you will leave longer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back