IT.COM

Develop Website with Joomla, Wordpress and DNN

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

getguide

Impact
I am an experienced web developer with over 10 years of designing web sites and apps using both CMS like Joomla, Wordpress and DNN and also building from scratch using php, mysql, asp.net, SQl server, IIS, apache, nodejs etc.

I want to start a web tutorial that would teach you how to deploy a website with little or no coding experience but I am on decided on which technology to start with yet.

So I would like to know what you guys think on the one I should start with.

I personal prefer Joomla and or Wordpress because of the support you would get because they both have a huge community. I have learnt that before you invest time learning a technology check how big and active the community for that technology.

I would be sharing a lot of hints as we progress with my like 12 years experience in the technology world.

Welcome Back,
So I have decided to do Joomla first and I would follow up with the rest later all you need to is to follow this thread.

Note this tutorial is not an absolute beginner tut so you must be convenient, familiar with and understand the following concepts
1. Client-Server Side
2. Web server
3. Database
4. Content Management System(CMS)
5. Server Side Languages

Feel free to ask me any question on the following above and I would reply to you either on a separate thread or here. I am also considering doing short tutorials on the above listed concepts so watch this space.

We would setting up on local machine meaning that machine would hold the role of a database server with MySQL, a PHP server and a Web Server with Apache. This would also help to get started quickly.

Requirements
Here is a list of what you need to setup you development environment on your local machine

1. WAMP/XAMP/LAMP : This is a combination of Apache which is a web server, the PHP Engine and MySQL database Engine all packed into a simple package, on windows its WAMP(W for Windows), on Linux operating system(OS) it is LAMP(L for Linux) and XAMP is a cross OS version.

I would be focusing on Windows setup as I would be assuming most people run on a Windows OS.

You can download WAMP here

This would download a windows executable which would install all the packages on you machine.

Here are some basic information you need for the installation.

1.Make sure you select the option to have it create a shortcut on your desktop or on your quick launch bar.
2. When asked to select your browser you can stick with the default which is explorer.exe for Internet Explorer or you navigate to the folder for the browser you want to use like for example Firefox from Program Files in the OS Directory
3. For SMTP Mail clients just use the default localhost.

After installation you can start via the desktop shortcut or from your programs depending or from your quick launch bar on the version windows you are using.

NOTE : Make sure Skype is not started as it uses the same Port 80 that WAMP uses. Also make sure IIS is not running on you machine for windows 7 or 8 users.

Here is a screen shot of WAMP when all the services are started(PHP,APACHE, MySQL). The Green button on the bottom right corner of the image below shows all the services are started.

READ MORE AND FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL AT
SEARCH: NAIRATALK>TECH>WEBMASTER

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its realy nice well thanks for the guidance.Well if you are begginer then i suggest you go to ilmiweb.com it will give you good domain name, plus it has easy to use layout selection and other wizards which are very easy..

•••
so do you have any experience with directory plug-ins

i am looking at comdev's jomdirectory as i may not use wordpress becuase it seems to slow down on lessor hosting.

i own a number of geodomains and would like ot learn and have my staff learn on system then use for all sites.

page howe

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back