IT.COM

.DEV DELUGE

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cabotower

Top Member
Impact
.homes is so yesterday.get ready for the .dev stampede.are ya in?giddy up!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
i might buy one just to have a ticket in the lottery.but i expect a lot of others will just lose their minds.

•••
•••
There are very few use cases for .dev names to end users. They're great for programmers and stuff... but I bet a lot of people are going to lose money speculating on .dev names.

•••
Yes, ROI in this niche is very low and in the best scenario.

Last edited:
•••
I will get one as a Dev domain for internal use but that'll be all.

•••
Not too sure this will be able to power past .horse

•••
I just published an article on .dev. Here is a summary of some of the main points...

EAP pricing:
  • Feb 19-20 $11,500 USD
  • Feb 20-21 $3500 USD
  • Feb 21-22 $1150 USD
  • Feb 22-25 $350
  • Feb 25-28 $125
Note that they use PST times and the break over is at 8 AM, somewhat unusual, in their EAP date/times.

Regular Pricing:
Non premiums will register and renew at $12 at Google domains and not much different most other places.

Premium Renewals:
So premium designations are different from whether a name sells in EAP. Some names are premium even if they don't sell then. Some could sell in EAP and have standard renewals. As far as I know they don't state the levels, so I spent some time trying different premium words at Google domains and seeing what the renewal rates would be. I found renewal rates at $1420, $720, $360, $180, $98, $56 and $12. I am sure there are more levels. Even some highly relevant two words seem at $12 renewal though (I share a few with you in the post, and keep a few to myself :xf.wink:).

Sunrise:
It appears about 500 TM owners reserved their names during sunrise. In the post I share a huge one that did not in case anyone is looking for UDRP troubles in future!

HSTS Preload
It is a secure domain space on the HSTS preload list. This DNWire interview with Brent McIlwain explains what that means very well.

Big Names Already Using It:
A number of big names already had sites up and operational at time of .dev EAP. These included Mozilla, Strike, CodeAcademy, Slack, YCombinator and GitHub among others.

Here is the full post just published at NameTalent.com.

Thanks for reading!

Bob

Disclosure: I have none registered, no specific plans re registrations in the extension, no association with Google, was paid nothing and not encouraged to write this, no affiliate links in the article, etc. In other words, hopefully fair and balanced!

•••
Yet another gTLD from Google that's doomed to fail. Any of the good ones have premium renewal costs, which in most cases are in the hundreds of dollars per year! Crazy.

•••
I agree for most part with your assessment @MadAboutDomains. I tried many single word possibilities (that made sense with .dev) and mainly all premium. Risking even $98 premium renewals needs a name that is almost guaranteed to sell at $$$$ to make sense to me.

I like secure preload idea and expect the extension will be at least somewhat successful among end users, but doubt it will be a major domain resale market success. The big companies would have reserved one by now and the single person developers will not be willing to pay over very low $$$ if even that.

But we will see... I tweeted yesterday that the data seems to show about 800 went at top 3 EAP price levels (in addition to 500+ during sunrise).

Bob

•••
Thanks for the info Bob. It's a real shame that they are slapping the premium renewal fees on, I think it's a sure fire way for them to ruin these extensions.

•••
Not too sure this will be able to power past .horse

Did you know there has never been a .horse resale for less than $1000? (at least on NameBio) Really it's true! :xf.cool:

•••
•••
Did you know there has never been a .horse resale for less than $1000? (at least on NameBio) Really it's true! :xf.cool:
Is that because there haven't been any .horse sales at all? :-P

•••
Google will shutdown this tld as Google+
imo
not worth to reg

•••
•••
I know a guy named Dev. Even he hates this extension.

•••
The .dev new gTLD went into general availability today. I've not bought any, but it's interesting to check whether any large companies registered .dev versions of one's own domains. e.g. Microsoft registered Leap.dev !! (of course, my company owns the .com) $$$$$$$$$$$$

If a domain appears unregistered in the WHOIS, it's useful to check at a registrar to see if it's available but at a "premium". I found various dictionary words and numeric domains marked as "premium" by Google (premium first year price AND premium renewal!).

•••
I think, its potential is maximum 20% of .app

•••
I found various dictionary words and numeric domains marked as "premium" by Google (premium first year price AND premium renewal!)

Yes, an important point. I did some exploring at Google domains earlier in the week to find some of the premium renewal rates for .dev - see my post above (and the longer article linked in that).

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dev-deluge.1121139/#post-7118312

I think the premium renewals make these risky domain investor holds in many cases, although the rates are not so high that most end user companies probably care much.

Bob

•••
A couple of points. I discovered there are two threads on .dev. I won't repeat it here, but I just did a long post on the other thread at this link.

I am blown away both by how many .dev registrations there are, and how many .dev websites are up and running - 49 in Alexa 1M already!

I am not sure if others have reported this, but apparently (from Namecheap tweet) both blockchain and bitcoin sold for $22,000 each during EAP. I presume big price renewal also.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that blockchain.dev is now running as a redirect to trustedblockchain.com, that seems devoted to economic justice so is using .dev in a broader sense than code development.

Bob

PS In case did not see it there is a new DNWire article out as .dev rolls past 64,000 registrations.

Last edited:
•••
If ordinary, Mom and Pop users, don't register and develop sites in a gTLD, then the gTLD will become a zombie TLD with little usage and just renewal fees. Google has demonstrated no in-depth understanding of the domain name business and is just cargo-culting along. The problem is that reserving too many premium domains kills natural domainer interest in many of these new gTLDs because it destroys the whole land rush phase of a TLD's launch. No land rush buzz = no awareness = no reason to develop sites.

Google's main problem is a lack of innovation and too many copycat ideas like Google Plus, Google Buzz etc. Its new gTLDs are no different.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back