Dynadot

domain descriptive.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tywiggle

Established Member
Impact
descriptive.com

I inherited this domain from my father in law. Wondering what it might be worth. Also wondering the best way to go about selling it. Also wondering if it would be wiser to keep it and try to monetize it somehow.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its an interesting domain name with some decent value. If this was in my holdings, I wouldnt sell it for less than a few thousand. I would hope for 5k+.

Quite a few ways to sell. You can list it for sale at places like Sedo, Afternic, BuyDomains, etc. I wouldnt pay for a listing but you will pay a % of any sale toward them.

You could also put a link on the site that says "Make an offer on this domain name" with a form sending you an email. I get quite a few offers like this via Fabulous.com

As far as Monetizing. If the domain name receives traffic, its possible to park the domain name - however, I would guess this domain would produce very little parking. Perhaps a few bucks per month best case scenario?

Other option - would be to build a website on it but thats quite a bit more indepth.

•••
It's very interesting indeed. According to Google the term "descriptive" got 14,800 searches last month, but it says its very low competition.

The search volume tells me it's brandable, but the question is "what is the best niche" to brand it in.

Also, there are a few prospects who would make good end users.
http://www.descriptivevideoworks.com/
http://www.sdp.org/

Estibot gave it a $16,000 evaluation. I'd say it could easily command $10,000 with the right buyer.

Best way to sell it (for highest value) is to an end user such as the ones I mentioned. By the way, I found those by searching for "descriptive" to see what came up.

Flippa.com is probably one of the best commercial sites to sell domains at, but workin with a trusted broker could also get you in front of the right buyer, and they would likely take a commission of 10-30%.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want a referral to a broker.

•••
You should definitely build up a list of potential end users for the domain. A few potential companies to add to your list have already been mentioned by 'domainicate' and if you want to get a much bigger list then use a free website called ZFBot.com and type in the word 'descriptive' and hit Search.
It will return 100+ domains that have the word 'descriptive' in the domain name. All of those are potential end users, but there will also be a number of those domains owned by domain name traders. And you can quickly find the domain name traders by looking at the Primary Name Server (PNS) for each domain.
For example if you see the PNS as sites like buy.InternetTraffic.com & ns.buydomains.com then these are likely to be domain name traders as they have parked that domain at those websites. So avoid contacting owners of those domains, if you want to get an end user price.

Just by entering the word 'descriptive' into Google and doing a search PLUS using ZFBot should give you a good 'starting' list of potential end users to approach.

And sometimes the obvious route to finding an end user is not always the most fruitful one so you need to get creative about creating as big a list of potential end users as possible.

Outside of the obvious approach above of contacting the owners of domains with the word 'descriptive' in their name you should also have a brainstorming session to see who else would benefit from this domain. E.g. go to Thesaurus.com and see other 'Synonyms' of that word and see if there any other words that could be plugged into ZFBot to pull up owners of domains that have a similar meaning to 'descriptive'.

Plus, look within the word itself and is there anything you can pull out that could also have meaning in a clever way to another company e.g. the word 'script' stands out as part of the word. Enter the word 'script' into Google and you then start to see products for 'Script'writing and would any of these be interested in your domain name?

And once you've drawn up your final list of potential end users, and although it's a pain, you should then visit each domain 1 by 1 and do a search for the relevant contact. Ideally you should get the email for the website/service owner, a marketing manager etc, although in a good % of cases the main person could be all of those people rolled into one.

It makes sense to do all your homework about the domain and how each end user could benefit from using it. Don't just fire out the exact same email to everyone i.e. try and personalize it so that you can maximize the potential for a 'bite' from one of the end users.

Hope that helps in some way, even if it at least opens up some different ways you should think about your domain name and how to lengthen your list of potential end users.

•••
Mid xxxx to a re-seller, can be worth anything from mid xxxx to low xx,xxx to an end-user. IMO.

Best of luck! Nice to see a real gem in the Appraisals section :)

•••
I would hold out for 5-figures, assuming you don't need the money. There are a couple established companies using this word, and it can be applied to graphics, video, and any number of possible uses. Great brand potential as well as being a keyword. (Maybe low 4-figures to a reseller)

If you are unfamiliar with domains, you should know that they are not terribly liquid. Unless you have a really great business idea that fits the name, I don't see much point in developing.

There is a company called Descriptive Video Works that might be willing to pay a reasonable price. For that matter, it would be a great name for a domain name broker as well.

•••
High $xxx - to $x,xxx reseller

High $x,xxx - to $xx,xxx+ to an enduser

•••
How nice to inherit a domain name...it's the first time I hear something like this.
Also it's a good one so don't undersell it. Wait. If you are new to the industry you might want to contact a broker who could give you a better idea of the value and help you selling it. best of luck

•••
I'll be descriptive about the value, so I will say around high $x,xxx to low $xx,xxx

Good Luck :)

•••
very nice name, I would say mid xxxx to upper xxxx, with a little patience low xx,xxx range.

•••
It is 1 generic word from the english dictionary and I think it could apply to many businesses. I agree that you have to be creative when figuring out which businesses to contact (after the first few that are obvious), but the possibilities are endless. If you put a for sale form on your website along with post it in various marketplaces, you can definitely sell it. But I would hold onto it for as long as you have to to get 5 figures. Not high 5 figures, just 10k+.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back