IT.COM

.de DENIC (.DE registry) anomalies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xyo

Established Member
Impact
As I am from Germany, I have already had some business with the registry for the local .DE domain names.
Even compared to other ccTLDs they have some really odd rules and policies in place.
As probably most people aren't aware of these rules or things, here's a list of stuff differing from other registries:

- Letting domains "expire" doesn't really make them expire, but they are transferred into direct registry management (leading to a 30 day TRANSIT state during which they send a postal (!) letter to the registrant. If you don't get the letter or don't respond during this 30 days, they'll bill you renewal at ~$65 (which is about 10-times average renewal fee)

- Nameservers can't be set arbitrarily because nameservers have to be pre-configured to serve the actual domain/zone (for which enforced checks are in place)

- Longest droptime window over all TLDs (2 hours drop window - which, at least to my knowledge, is random, making drop-catching effectively impossible for normal users)

- For domains in redemption period, the actual drop date can be arbitrarily delayed by requesting an "authinfo 2" (cost: ~$15-$20, postal letter will be sent to last registrant which usually either won't be delivered or ignored because he or she wanted the domain to be deleted - drop date will be reset to one month after the "authinfo2" has been set, thus making the person or company who requested it the only one to know the exact drop date)

- Creation Date not published in whois and even the registrant or registrar of the domain can't see it (afaik it has so far only been revealed by force in a few lawsuits)

- Expiration Date not published in whois

- Registrar not published in whois

- Transfer Lock not available

- Expiration Date is reset on transfer (thus you will loose any time left with your old registrar)

- Explicit renewals are not possible

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was under the impression that DENIC does not allow whois privacy for .de domains, but I have recently seen some registrars claiming to offer it. Any insight?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back