IT.COM

.tv Demand Media Update & Clarifications

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone,

I just logged on and saw that there are some questions so I wanted to post some clarifications to help clear up any misunderstandings. I also wanted to share with you the press release that went out this AM about me.tv. And finally, give you a heads up that we are working on a re-cap of the first day of premium sales which I will share with this group as soon as it's final.

Okay, first, some clarification:
- Renewal Pricing: The price that is paid for a premium name is the same as the renewal price. So if you bought a name for $500, the renewal is $500. We are letting everyone know that this is subject to change, because we are not in control of this TLD. The price could be higher and the price could be lower. There is also the option to lock in the name at the set price for multiple years, but does require paying for it up front.
- Cost vs. Price: I also wanted to clarify this nuance because in my communications I have been telling folks that Verisign sets the "pricing". Well, to be clear, Verisign sets the cost and as a retailer, Demand Media/eNom can set the pricing. We believe that in order to drive sales, we need to keep as many premium names as possible at cost. So, in that regard, we are not setting the price, we are defaulting to the cost.

The ME.TV press release:
I don't think there is any new information, but just wanted to let the form know that it is out:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070502/20070502005879.html?.v=1

I will plan to post updates on the premium sales tonight or first thing tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Quinn

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Working on Getting Your Questions Answered...

Hi Everyone,

I am taking down all the follow up questions so I can work with the team here to prepare a formal FAQ and will post it as soon as I can.

Thanks, Quinn

•••
Thanks Quinn,

Please get these things worked out even if it's a Verisign issue.

I just tried to renew my May 1 Premium and got this message in red from enom:

Contact Customer Support to Renew this Name.

I was told that NO ONE can Add Years to their Premium Names because right now registrations are only for one year. I was told to select Auto-renew and keep a valid credit on file for billing.

So, we SHOULD be able to own our Premium Names for more years but right now we all own Premium .tv names for ONE YEAR and that's it until auto-renew.

I'm sure this is just growing pains but if someone is going to be spending $5k a year on a name, it would be nice to buy more years and know the renewal fee NOW, not in 11 months.

•••
I dont agree at all,

If these names were not locked in as premiums they all would have been bought up and parked and this would stall the growth of the extension.

I want to see developed .tv names not parked .tv pages.

These prices insure serious developers.

Not only that but "Ghost Face Killah" is on Richard Rosenblatts TV page and that makes me feel really good about the whole .TV situation. You cant go wrong with WU Tang, and you cant go wrong with .TV

I know what is going on and I support and love every minute of it!!!

rodash said:
Demand Media and VeriSign will destroy any chance of a resurgence in the .tv TLD with these excessively high renewal fees. It's sheer greed. There was no way in the world I was going to buy $5000 or $10,000 premium names and be faced with such big renewal fees. If this TLD doesn't take off in the next six months (and there's nothing to say it will happen now with these exhorbitant fees) then I'd be sitting here this time next year faced with big renewal fees and wondering whether to cut my losses and flog the name off or get in deeper. I think a lot of people would have seen it that way. When I logged into Enom and looked at the Premium names list just over 48 hours ago there were 53,075 names listed for sale. Now there's 52,921. That's 150 names sold in 48 hours and the cream has gone. So how do you now flog off the not-so-good stuff?

One other point: a friend of mine was talking to a sales exec at BuyDomains.com yesterday and he knew nothing about the .tv launch. Okay, he could have been playing it down ... or he genuinely may not have known. I suspect the latter. There was bugger all coverage in Google News in the two weeks leading up to the launch so I suspect relatively few people knew about it. I think the only people who knew were the people who hang out here, those who attended the launch and those who watch Carson Daly. I looked up Google News a few minutes ago and went four screens in searching on "Demand Media" and ".tv launch" and the only coverage of the launch in the past 48 hours appears to have been by Domain Informer, StartUp Beat and ZdNet - all Internet media groups. And of course the usual Business Wire press release. The ZdNet review actually poured cold water on it. There was not one bit of coverage in the mainstream media that I could see. Maybe I missed it - maybe there was coverage two days ago. Has anyone seen any proper press articles?

I was very optimistic about the .tv TLD three weeks ago but now I'm quite pessimistic.

•••
MINDWRECKER.TV said:
I dont agree at all,

If these names were not locked in as premiums they all would have been bought up and parked and this would stall the growth of the extension.

I want to see developed .tv names not parked .tv pages.

These prices insure serious developers.

Not only that but "Ghost Face Killah" is on Richard Rosenblatts TV page and that makes me feel really good about the whole .TV situation. You cant go wrong with WU Tang, and you cant go wrong with .TV

I know what is going on and I support and love every minute of it!!!

So, you're saying you have NO PROBLEM with "Renewal prices are subject to change." I can't see how any serious domainer who plans to develop LONG TERM would be comfortable with that legal language.

If .TV doesn't make a decision, then I can imagine a massive exodus in the future.

If you've got great GEO .TVs, let's just say, for example GENERIC-CITY.TV or even something as significant as NEWS.TV (currently buy it now of $500,000)... would you really not worry about this issue? What if you've been the only reason why your brandable/generic domain is worth something (traffic, revenue, etc), wouldn't you lose sleep knowing that "Renewal prices are subject to change."?

I know I would. and I know I can't be the only one. I think DEMAND will do the right thing to avoid the negative repercussions the TLD may face in the future (abandonment, apathy, class action, lawsuits, who knows)

as I've said before, I am serious developing my portfolio, deeply invested and behind the .TV masterplan... I only wish for the TLD to be a contender... and that requires our support & money...

we have a voice... I just hope they hear us.

/rant

•••
These prices do not ensure serious developers, they simply manage to exclude the serious/poorly funded developers. They want the old money, not new.

•••
I have called verisign and they will only put me through to a sales rep.

This renewal pricing is Verisign's dirty little secret.

•••
•••
MrRhee said:
So, you're saying you have NO PROBLEM with "Renewal prices are subject to change." I can't see how any serious domainer who plans to develop LONG TERM would be comfortable with that legal language.

If .TV doesn't make a decision, then I can imagine a massive exodus in the future.

If you've got great GEO .TVs, let's just say, for example GENERIC-CITY.TV or even something as significant as NEWS.TV (currently buy it now of $500,000)... would you really not worry about this issue? What if you've been the only reason why your brandable/generic domain is worth something (traffic, revenue, etc), wouldn't you lose sleep knowing that "Renewal prices are subject to change."?

I know I would. and I know I can't be the only one. I think DEMAND will do the right thing to avoid the negative repercussions the TLD may face in the future (abandonment, apathy, class action, lawsuits, who knows)

as I've said before, I am serious developing my portfolio, deeply invested and behind the .TV masterplan... I only wish for the TLD to be a contender... and that requires our support & money...

we have a voice... I just hope they hear us.

/rant

Well put MrRhee.

I think everyone understands the payment structure is different for Dot TV than normal domains. But if Demand Media wants to command top dollar for Premium names the contract set forth should be clear and concise. I want to invest more in Dot TV and Demand Media has many great ideas. However, if my investment is not guaranteed and has risks that I can't control with Dot TV but can control with another TLD I will need to opt for the safer investment for developing sites.

I'm not saying Dot Premium TVs are not a safe investment but with ambiguous statements like "Renewal prices subject to change" and no way to renew the names currently I am not encouraged to just "trust" any company to act in my best interest. This is business and I have had many troubles in business both in the brick and mortar world and especially on the internet. One thing I feel helps insure my business experience will be positive is having a good contract. Every other TLD has a set structure that lends confidence to the domain owner that his renewal costs are known. I would think Dot TV should be no different unless they can show otherwise.

I am currently developing a forum site , LawEnforcementForum.com, and have invested $2,000 just to get off the ground. This might seem like small potatoes but I will have probably $5,000 to $10,000 invested by years end. I also have a site for Bars.mobi and I am working to put together a new business plan for it and plan to spend even more for it's development. For me these are fair size investments with many risks to overcome before being profitable. The thing is though I know what my costs are and I know that I don't have to worry about my renewal fees while I'm trying to create a successful business.

I have many other development projects I hope to start but everything requires time, money and the right development teams and partners. I can't afford to risk development on properties where I might be forced to vacate due to "rent increases". This isn't even logical to me in the domain world. I've got enough obstacles to overcome without having to worry about the "renewal rate" for my domain.

In closing I do want to thank Demand Media for having a presence here through Quinn and thank Quinn for being here as the guy in the middle, a tough position. I hope my posts don't seem too adversarial and appreciate the opportunity to discuss my concerns in an open forum. I realize this is difficult but I believe the concerns addressed are valid. Hopefully it will turn into a win win situation as I'm sure we all want Dot TV to be successful and profitable for all of us.

Last edited:
•••
I totally support Think message here. We want to know the risk of owning premium names now than later. I have 20+ premium names on hold due to this unclear renewal fees.

By the way, I think Quinn Daly is a she. I met her in last eNom Reseller.

Cheers,
Em

•••
TheWatcher said:
I totally support Think message here. We want to know the risk of owning premium names now than later.

By the way, I think Quinn Daly is a she. I met her in last eNom Reseller.

Cheers,
Em

Whoops, sorry about that Quinn.

•••
To me , It doesn't matter "who" is actually behind or in control of the "possible" renewal fees at this point. Whether it's Enom/Demand , Verisign , or a 6 year old kid in Tuvalu.

Enom/Demand are the ones Marketing the product with no answers for anyone ... It lies in their lap as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone know What percentage of the Premiums were bought by Members in this very forum ? I'd bet it's a pretty decent Percentage.

•••
Should be fairly easy to take a guess since only a couple hundred have sold.

•••
For anyone that isn't getting what I'm saying above -

Lets put it in simpler terms ....

"Who did you pay your money to?"

•••
Mark said:
For anyone that isn't getting what I'm saying above -

Lets put it in simpler terms ....

"Who did you pay your money to?"

I agree Mark.

Whilst not responsible for the decision regarding renewal policies, Demand Media are getting paid a fair chunk of change to market the extension. I would assume that would include fielding questions from the press aswell as investors in the extension.

Now Quinn had stated yesterday

" Hi Everyone,

I am taking down all the follow up questions so I can work with the team here to prepare a formal FAQ and will post it as soon as I can."

It is imperitive that Quinn recognises that there is really only ONE question that people want answered over anything else and that is Verisigns renewal policy as regards yearly price increases.........and that this question should be addressed ASAP..........

24 hours is more than enough to get clarification. Discontent has a way of multiplying and feeding off of itself.

Not a good thing for DM, Verisign, or .tv itself.......this issue of renewal policy is already making waves in the blogosphere.......And this is day 4 into the promotion.......

Please Quinn,

Give this matter the urgency it deserves and clarify the matter before the weekend and negative attitudes set in...... :|

•••
I JUST RENEWED MY MAY 1 PREMIUM NAME

I got through to enom and have successfully renewed my Premium Name Boca.tv for $100. The initial reg fee was $100.

The enom rep gave me permission to post her contact info and all are welcome to contact her in order to renew their May 1 Premium Names. I believe you can all Premium Names for the initial reg fee but I will let Deborah confirm that.

Her contact info is at

Last edited:
•••
That's great but people who paid $1000 or $5000 might not want to pay now that should not mean they get screwed later

•••
Exclusively.tv said:
I JUST RENEWED MY MAY 1 PREMIUM NAME

I got through to enom and have successfully renewed my Premium Name Boca.tv for $100. The initial reg fee was $100.

The enom rep gave me permission to post her contact info and all are welcome to contact her in order to renew their May 1 Premium Names. I believe you can all Premium Names for the initial reg fee but I will let Deborah confirm that.

Her contact info is at
(Equity, hope this is not seen as self promotional but it is very relevant to this topic)

That's good news. I will do the same with my premiums, at least for a couple of years.

•••
equity78 said:
That's great but people who paid $1000 or $5000 might not want to pay now that should not mean they get screwed later

exactly.

I just paid good money for some premiums and if I wish to keep the renewal price the same, i have to renew NOW?

pour more money into a TLD when the management isn't even sure what they can disclose to us... or unsure themselves...

sorry, but I'll need them to make up their minds before I spend more with them. Part of me is considering asking for a refund if they don't sort things out. LOL. 5-day return policy works for .TV too, no? anyone know?... besides, my Banker told me he'll work things out if DEMAND doesn't.

j/k... maybe not though.

it's very disappointing and becoming pathetic.

Last edited:
•••
MrRhee,

Good points. We would all like to see the contract but remember, we're dealing with Verisign here.

With that said, I don't think they will kick up the renewal price too much since people will start dropping their high Premium Names if these prices get any more crazy.

•••
Back with an FAQ; Hope this Helps

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for coming back so much later in the day. I have pasted an FAQ below, but also wanted to give a few updates on the tools:
- So far we have powered nearly 1K .TV sites with the me.tv tools; and I will keep this group updated on this number
- We are prioritizing our next me.tv code push (later next week) based in the feedback we are logging from this forum, the me.tv forum and msgs to Carson; and I will come back to this group with the list of features and estimated timing for release (such as Advertising, Video Upload and Personalization of design)

The FAQ below is based in the first page of Qs and what was sent to me on PM. I will add to this FAQ with additional questions, so please keep sending them to me.

I appreciate your messages and continue to be dedicated to serving this group with as much information as I can.

Best, Quinn

Pricing
How is the pricing determined?
The cost of each premium name is decided by the .TV Registry. As the Exclusive retailer for .TV Premium Names, Demand Media has aggressively set pricing to help drive adoption of the .TV brand,

Why are certain .TV domains considered premium?
The original .TV Registry, The .TV Corporation, selected a limited number of generic names and assigned variable prices based on various factors. As a result, this has kept a steady stream of high quality domains available for Businesses and the general public.

Renewal
Will the renewal rate ever go up?
Annual Renewal fees for .TV premium names will be the same as the initial "Buy Now" registration price. Demand Media is required by law to also inform its customers that renewal prices are “subject to change.” This is because, as a retailer, Demand Media doesn’t determine or control the cost of names.

I heard that the renewal rate was only 10-15% of the buy it now price, is that true?
This is incorrect. The renewal fees for .TV premium names are the same as the registration price. Again, Demand Media is required by law to also inform its customers that renewal prices are “subject to change.” This is because, as a retailer, Demand Media doesn’t determine or control the cost of names.

Is it just a yearly renewal? Can I get a discount by agreeing to a longer term contract?
When purchasing a .TV domain name, customers are given the option upfront of securing one, two, three, four five and ten-year registrations. Presently, we do not offer multi-year renewals.

Will larger up-front payments reduce yearly renewal?
Presently, we do not offer larger up-front payments to reduce yearly renewals.

Resell
What is the process for deciding which name is a premium? How do I know that my premium name won’t be de-listed?
The list of Premium domains is determined by the .TV Registry. Our role is simply as the Exclusive retailer for the .TV Premium names.

•••
qdaly said:
Renewal
Will the renewal rate ever go up?
Annual Renewal fees for .TV premium names will be the same as the initial "Buy Now" registration price. Demand Media is required by law to also inform its customers that renewal prices are “subject to change.” This is because, as a retailer, Demand Media doesn’t determine or control the cost of names.

So there you have it, what you pay this year will be what you pay next year.
Get your business plans out, this is the way it is...

I thought we already knew this was the deal earlier in the year anyways.

Thanx Quinn!

•••
Ok, that sums it up, and thanks.

•••
Showbiz said:
Ok, that sums it up, and thanks.

Does this mean the conspiracy theory is over? LOL

•••
qdaly said:
Our role is simply as the Exclusive retailer for the .TV Premium names.

Now this helps put things into perspective.

CCD

•••
I would have to agree with everybody on here in regards to the uncertaintity with the pricing and renewals. As a owner of a few premiums I am very scetchy about investing anymore in .tv as this does not seem to have a very sturdy base to work from. With .com you know what you get now, and what you will pay in the future. With this extension it seems that it can change in the flick of somebody in a boardroom and if you do not have the financial backing at that time your screwed. All in all the masses will never buy into something like this with all the uncertaintity surrrounding it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back