Dynadot

.tv Demand Media Update & Clarifications

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone,

I just logged on and saw that there are some questions so I wanted to post some clarifications to help clear up any misunderstandings. I also wanted to share with you the press release that went out this AM about me.tv. And finally, give you a heads up that we are working on a re-cap of the first day of premium sales which I will share with this group as soon as it's final.

Okay, first, some clarification:
- Renewal Pricing: The price that is paid for a premium name is the same as the renewal price. So if you bought a name for $500, the renewal is $500. We are letting everyone know that this is subject to change, because we are not in control of this TLD. The price could be higher and the price could be lower. There is also the option to lock in the name at the set price for multiple years, but does require paying for it up front.
- Cost vs. Price: I also wanted to clarify this nuance because in my communications I have been telling folks that Verisign sets the "pricing". Well, to be clear, Verisign sets the cost and as a retailer, Demand Media/eNom can set the pricing. We believe that in order to drive sales, we need to keep as many premium names as possible at cost. So, in that regard, we are not setting the price, we are defaulting to the cost.

The ME.TV press release:
I don't think there is any new information, but just wanted to let the form know that it is out:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070502/20070502005879.html?.v=1

I will plan to post updates on the premium sales tonight or first thing tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Quinn

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cybertonic said:
These guys at NameMedia acted like scammers and I confirm again.
Why they did not inform buyers about these unusual renewal rates?

They did, but not very clearly. The same notes that still are there at the bottom of the page was there first time I checked a name, early in the launch:

NOTES:

* .TV premium names cannot be transferred to another registrar.
* Annual Renewal fees for .TV premium names will be the same as the initial "Buy Now" registration fee.
* Renewal prices are subject to change

But that's not very noticeable, and should be much clearer published.
(And the "subject to change" is, of course, still very ambiguous.)

•••
I do not know if SCAM is the best term, english is not my main language.

What I mean by SCAM is Demand Media have been trying (and continue) to misslead potential buyers just to generate more incomes.

Demand Media will be considered as a serious company if:

- They refund all the premium domain's buyers that purchased names without know the exact renewal price. Or set the renewal price to a rate under $50/year.

- They clearly indicate in their pages the premium domain renewal price now and within the next 3 years.

Otherwise this means they are simply abusing of domain buyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
cybertonic said:
The problem is that all this has been prepared as a BIG SCAM!

First the interview of NameMedia CEO in DNJournal.com saying the dot TV was a terrific extension that will worth a lot in the future, a real domain investment.

Me as probably thousand domainers have thought these last weeks that the dot TV was the next gold mine extension.

That's simple, I NEVER purchased a dot TV and after reading DNJournal.com I purchased 4 or 5 in the aftermarket for big dollars.
And was present May 1th to get sure to purchase few of these great available premium domains.

Until here, no problem.

The problem is they did not inform these domains will have an unusual high renewal rate over $50/domain that will lead to not be investing but simply wasting money!

They did not say this in their DNJournal article ad.
They did not say this in their ENom site where I purchased these domains.
And if you read this forum, still today nobody know what the renewal cost will be: some say the same as the acquisition price, other 10 to 15% of it, others ...

Is this serious?

NO!

It look likes a BIG SCAM to try to sell as much premium is possible with FALSE ADVERTISING and ABUSING of the incredility of buyers.

How many having paid thousand dollars per domain will pay the renewal once they discovered the scam?

If like me you have been abused then contact imediately ENom and ask for full refund and inform other domainers about this scam.

I was always under the assumption that the renewal fee's would be around the same price as the but it now price. It just made sense to me to look at it that way, comsidering all the people on this board who had already bought premiums had clarified that they were going to have to pay the original fee each year.

Last edited:
•••
cybertonic said:
The first time I hear about a possible renewal rate over $50 was an hour about the premium dot TV be available for sale.
But I thought it was not real because the pricing was so absurd, I simply thought they was trying to convince me to not buy because maybe I will purchase the name they wanted, I was another competitor.

C'est gentil de nous faire confiance... :|
(It's nice the way you trust us)

•••
DreamCatcher said:
C'est gentil de nous faire confiance... :|
(It's nice the way you trust us)

:bingo:

Some how it just looks and rolls off the tongue better in French.

I have seen many posts lately with warped logic and reasoning as to why you regged premium .tvs without first knowing what you getting into.

Bottom line is, take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming everyone else, i have heard it is Verisigns fault, DM's Fault,Enoms Fault,now you are even suggesting that it is this boards fault because you thought we were trying to mislead you as we wanted all the premiums ourselves.
It is YOUR fault you didn't research everything thoroughly it is YOUR fault that you decided to purchase them, it is YOUR fault you made assumptions about the integrity of people on this board who were trying to help you make an informed decision.
Nobody forced you to pay and register premiums, it is time to get a grip and start taking some responsibility for your own actions.

I mean this in the nicest possible way of course :)

Last edited:
•••
Hey DreamCatcter and StoneRose ................ COOL!

Its' so ABSURD and INCREDIBLE to be paying the annual renewal the same amount you purchased a domain.
And more when the acquision price could be hundred thousands dollars like some premiums I seen.
This is why it's LOGICAL to think these guys:
- Was kidding.
- Was maybe lying in order I don't be the first to purchase some names they wanted.
- Have no clue about the renewal price.
Many reasons are possible.

So don't feel hurted!

It's like if I say: "Look this cow flying!"
It's so absurd and incredible that you will think I am kidding, I am lying, I am idiot, ...

And I only said and continue to say the ONLY fault is from: DEMAND MEDIA!

Because it's the company that own the site ENOM, the one that sells the premium dot TV and that did not clearly inform about the pricing and continue to play this scam game to maximize his sales, letting think domainers that renewals should be logically under $50

By the way there is a a lot of TV experts around but NONE is able to really know and affirm what is the real renewal pricing.
Read all the thread and how each one is doing suppositions.
I see in your signature you own a lot of dot TV which let me imagine you are experienced with this extension, but have in mind 99% of webmasters NEVER purchased a dot TV!!!!
So don't annoy me with stupid words like "take your responsabilities"... to play the hero and protect your relationship with DEMAND MEDIA.

The liar here is not me but DEMAND MEDIA!

And I hope they quickly clarify and correct all this as refund all the domainers that were abused.

•••
I am now growing weary of this blame game you are playing,

It is no ones fault but YOURS!, grow up and take responsibility for YOUR ACTIONS ,unless someone fromEnom came round to your house and forced you at gunpoint to buy all those names then you are talking absoloute crap.

You bought under assumptions and not facts. FACT

•••
You are right!

It will be my OWN fault if where I purchased the domain there was a big message saying:

=================================================
CAUTION:
This domain is special the renewal price for xxxxx.TV is $nnnnn
=================================================

But I did not seen anything and probably it's still the same!

•••
"Subject to change" is the legal catch phrase on which everything hinges.

Last edited:
•••
i agree the renewal prices are steeper than others but this stuff about not having a concrete answer to the future fees.....

i have been looking at the tos of many registrars and you dont have a guarantee for anything- have you read what you are signing up for, every day? basically you dont have a leg to stand on as far as they are concerned- here is a snippet from ns:

"You acknowledge and agree that the renewal price may be higher or lower than the price you paid for the then-current term of the service, and that we are authorized to charge your credit card on file for the renewal of the service(s)."

they are saying the same thing, arent they? and people reg names every day-

i mean, i agree we all want stability but isnt this going a tad over board? no one else guarantees "how much" a domain can go up or down- someone mentioned that verisign said .coms were going up only so much each year, but that is not even a guarantee because i am sure somewhere in the tos it covers any further changes- .coms can go uo to $100.00 tomorrow if they wanted and there is nothing we can do about it.

•••
I don't think is legal as Smashfactory says to ask today for example $50 for a renewal and next year $500 for example.

•••
Smashfactory was not agreeing with you..... Oh i give up :'(

•••
but no one said it was $50 this year and $500 next year- i understand you are upset, and i am NOT trying to minimize anything - especially to those who spent so much- what i am saying is- you cant expect them to give you a difinitive answer, because they wont, because no one else does. is there a cap somewhere, anywhere, that anyone knows about on how much any domain can rise in price each year?

demand media is pushing the envelope- and we all bought into it. they said, hey, lets charge a crazy price for premiums, and lets see if they bite....
this lets them know how far they can let out a rope before they realize there is nothing biting on the ther end.
if they bite, you have a winner, if they dont, you have New Coke.
well, a half a million dollars in sales later, the public did NOT show their disdian by NOT buying the domains, and letting demand media know this was out of line.

•••
What if tomorrow you discover you have to pay +$1,000 to renew each of your dot com?

This is what happen to me with these dot TV.

And this is why I want that they refund me imediately for all my premium purchases.

The next time they will be honnest and they will clearly written about the renewal structure and cost.

And if you have been abused yourself then it's also time to act as I can say you could cry later to be refunded.

•••
cybertonic said:
What if tomorrow you discover you have to pay +$1,000 to renew each of your dot com?

This is what happen to me with these dot TV.

And this is why I want that they refund me imediately for all my premium purchases.

The next time they will be honnest and they will clearly written about the renewal structure and cost.

And if you have been abused yourself then it's also time to act as I can say you could cry later to be refunded.

you JUST proved my point- yes, what if tomorrow you found out to renew .coms were 1000.00- can it happen? actually yes it can- will it? doubt it. but, it can- because it is in the tos- so yucky little words......

you have no one to blame but yourself- BEFORE the names were released you posted this:
http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/322671-premium-dot-tv-renewal-cost.html
and were fully informed and even said you lost interest!

Last edited:
•••
Yes they can but they will be sued and we will win because it will clearly be abuse!

•••
read my edit dear- all they have to do is go back in the posts to show any court you were fully aware- and asked ahead of time- no judge is going to rule for you with this post sitting there BEFORE the premiums came out-

•••
cybertonic said:
Yes they can but they will be sued and we will win because it will clearly be abuse!

Good luck with that :)

•••
Greedy

Demand Media, Verisign, or whoever controls the pricing are being nothing more than greedy. It is just like the gas situation, they are gouging people. Many LL.tv before May 1 were $1,000 per year. Now many, or all, that I have seen, are $10,000-$15,000 or more!! Pure greed.
However, to see Deman Media's side, I don't think they are really worried about us "peon" domainers, and what domains we buy. I sure they are thinking major corporations who will jump onto the .tv bandwagon. $10,000 for them is like petty cash.
By the way, I still have Uv.tv on the Sedo Auction, about 7 hours left. Current high bid is $2,500. I clearly state the annual renewal on this .tv also, it is $1,000 per year. Sure beats $10,000 per year!

LL.tv's at DemandMedia:

http://www.enom.com/auctions/tv_nam...50&Type=tv-premium&Page=browse&SortOrder=DESC

Imho
Frank

Last edited:
•••
It's not because it's a very well funded company you must be afraid and you need to say "Amen" to any of their unfair practices.
What is not legal is not legal for anyone.
I continue saying that renewal price must be clearly specified and more when the amount is not usual.

Frank you written:

"I don't think they are really worried about us "peon" domainers..."

Then why they purchased to Ron the last cover of DNJournal.com if their intention was not to reach the domainer community and launch their March 1 Premium domain sales?

No, no, ... they prepared very well their premium sale and domainers was one of their main target.

•••
yes i believe everyone agrees that this is unusual and it looks exteremely greedy on their end- i still have no idea of the reasoning- i would have not done it this way- but i do not own demand media- i think it is safe to assume we ALL agree the prices are crazy.

didnt stop people from buying tho, did it.

cybertonic- you are just wrong- flat out wrong. no one is saying amen but at some point you have got to admit you knew this ahead of time, from YOUR OWN post, and decided to buy anyway.

no one clearly states a set for life renwal price. not for coms, nets, tvs.- and if they do- subject to change is hidden in there somewhere...

Last edited:
•••
Does this mean your going to rank tv's lower on your premium domains site? I would hate to lose points there.

•••
The "Note" posted above about the renewal fees being the same as the buy now price ... Wasn't on the enom site on May 1st was it ? Several people tell me it was not and I didn't see it then either. gorlov - Did you see it on May 1st ?

Things like that should have been ironed out and announced in HUGE BOLD letters well before this latest Release.

IMO - many people have just leased a lot of Deficits ... Not domains.

Whether you have the Development ready for the domains or not ... Whether you have the extra money laying around or not .... It's still a deficit until you've paid for two years registration IMO -

You can look at it two ways I guess ... If you were leasing Prime Real Estate in a Business District (or elsewhere) Yes , you would not expect to pay less after the first year. And yes they obviously are pushing everyone involved with the "Premiums" to develop ASAP.
The fact is "most" "Premium" Real Estate already has existing Traffic or Has a Huge Off Ramp directing Traffic toward it under construction for the future. At the very least it would have a local "amenity" to attract visitors (Waterfront / Mountains and skiing / etc ...).

If your own "Development" efforts are the only way to bring in enough traffic to pay for these "premiums" - You're behind on the game already IMO -

You could have registered WERHYEHHJWTERHET.tv and done the same thing for a lot less investment.

•••
JMO, but I would bet that unknowns won't get a break when trying to register a $10K premium - but large 'name' corporations might be able to negotiate, given that DM and crew still want to see general acceptance of .TV occur, and 'names' can make that happen. So, those largest premiums are simply in a holding pattern until the big bucks arrive at the party.

And, there's nothing to prevent DM from having a sale down the road, I'm sure they know EXACTLY how many premiums would be jumped on by this group now, if a sale like last fall's occurred. In the long run, they ned to get large numbers of people to commit to the premium names, and that would do it.

•••
Mark said:
The "Note" posted above about the renewal fees being the same as the buy now price ... Wasn't on the enom site on May 1st was it ? Several people tell me it was not and I didn't see it then either. gorlov - Did you see it on May 1st ?

Things like that should have been ironed out and announced in HUGE BOLD letters well before this latest Release. IMO - many people have just leased a lot of Deficits ... Not domains.

Whether you have the Development ready for the domains or not ... Whether you have the extra money laying around or not .... It's still a deficit until you've paid for two years registration IMO - You can look at it two ways I guess ... If you were leasing Prime Real Estate in a Business District (or elsewhere) Yes , you would not expect to pay less after the first year. And yes they obviously are pushing everyone involved with the "Premiums" to develop ASAP.
The fact is "most" "Premium" Real Estate already has existing Traffic or Has a Huge Off Ramp directing Traffic toward it under construction for the future. At the very least it would have a local "amenity" to attract visitors (Waterfront / Mountains and skiing / etc ...).

If your own "Development" efforts are the only way to bring in enough traffic to pay for these "premiums" - You're behind on the game already IMO -

You could have registered WERHYEHHJWTERHET.tv and done the same thing for a lot less investment.

Mark,

1 / I think they should have donea better description for people new to the namespace but the renewal price being the same as the BIN price is nothing new or changed from the last few years of .tv premiums.

2 / I am not sure that for development that the prices are unreasonable.

There is no doubt that premium .tv does not work in PPC parked portfolio, except in limited cases.

But given that any serious development effort is typically at least a XX,XXX type affair, paying $500 to $2000 / year for a great, brandable and SEO-friendly domain that otherwise would have disappeared into a Cayman Islands parked portfolio never to be seen again does not seem unreasonable to me.

Of course the premiums names that are XX,XXX or XXX,XXX per year are hard to justify, but, for the most part, those names are not being regged anyway or are being given away to big corps (my guess).

Most people on this board are playing in the $500 to $1000 per year names, if they are even regging premiums.

So, really what you are seeing is that .tv premiums are priced for end-users or a developer who is willing to invest in a domain like an end-user.

I do not think that is unreasonable or immoral. It is unclear to me why what happened with .info or .biz where Eloqua sucked up a large % of the LLLs in one day is a preferable situation.

3 / the only thing that would be unreasonable is raising prices later for previously registered domains, IMO.

Cheers,

Antonis

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back