Dynadot

services Dell broke backup & recovery by dropping domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Registry Services

Established Member
Impact
"A web address used by recovery software on Dell PCs was taken over by a third-party after a contractor apparently failed to renew it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41762460

The domain in question was - dellbackupandrecoverycloudstorage.com - really catchy, just trips off the tongue.

However, does raise the serious question of how easy it might then be to get malware installed on Dells if you took over this domain??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"A web address used by recovery software on Dell PCs was taken over by a third-party after a contractor apparently failed to renew it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41762460

The domain in question was - dellbackupandrecoverycloudstorage.com - really catchy, just trips off the tongue.

However, does raise the serious question of how easy it might then be to get malware installed on Dells if you took over this domain??

Thanks for posting. Interesting but ambiguous on Dells part and 5 months late to disclose. Like Equifax. Bought a system early on this year. It did have a Dell push type message to update but it was manually chosen update back then also, normally I tend to refraining for weeks or months from listening to nag screens. What I noticed lately is microsoft windows 10 constantly without my consent will do updates, unlike all previous versions It angers me. I was not aware dell had this lapse. What a time to deal with this nonsense. I never wanted to move to spyopsys 10, but was forced to.

•••
Thanks for posting. Interesting but ambiguous on Dells part and 5 months late to disclose. Like Equifax. Bought a system early on this year. It did have a Dell push type message to update but it was manually chosen update back then also, normally I tend to refraining for weeks or months from listening to nag screens. What I noticed lately is microsoft windows 10 constantly without my consent will do updates, unlike all previous versions It angers me. I was not aware dell had this lapse. What a time to deal with this nonsense. I never wanted to move to spyopsys 10, but was forced to.

I stopped using Windows about 5 years ago and have never looked back!

Xubuntu on the desktop and Slackware on the servers.

Slackware needs a little more hand-holding, but is very reliable - longest I've seen is 5 years between reboots! Slackware tends to have less inter-dependencies in its packages, so you can throw out all the stuff you don't needs and make the system more robust & secure.

•••
I stopped using Windows about 5 years ago and have never looked back!

Xubuntu on the desktop and Slackware on the servers.

Slackware needs a little more hand-holding, but is very reliable - longest I've seen is 5 years between reboots! Slackware tends to have less inter-dependencies in its packages, so you can throw out all the stuff you don't needs and make the system more robust & secure.

Really?, I should try that. I have never tried Linux at home only recently on webservers with their cpanel front end. If it is command line driven it would be great, I come from earlier days and actually miss DOS, lol. One could operate a simple small business with it and a 286 processor still today if forced to. Internet access not though. How do you install? Is there some sort of boot package you download to a windows or Ios machine?

•••
Registrar: DropCatch
NameServers: ParkingCrew.net
WHOIS Date: June 10th, 2017
upload_2017-10-27_6-23-10.png

Screenshot: July 25th, 2017
upload_2017-10-27_6-28-27.png

•••
Really?, I should try that. I have never tried Linux at home only recently on webservers with their cpanel front end. If it is command line driven it would be great, I come from earlier days and actually miss DOS, lol. One could operate a simple small business with it and a 286 processor still today if forced to. Internet access not though. How do you install? Is there some sort of boot package you download to a windows or Ios machine?

The most risk free way to try Linux on a Windows machine is to run is as a VM - load VMware (or the MS equivalent). It will be a little slower than running raw on the hardware, but probably not a lot.

Xubuntu has a "live" ISO - so you can boot & run like its installed, but all changes get lost. Its will also dual-boot with Windows - best thing to do is use a partition tool to create some free space on the disk and install the Xubuntu into that.

If you change the UI around a little, Xubuntu is quite like using XP, but faster & more secure - I prefer the XFCE window manager than the Ubuntu one. Its lighter weight & can be made to feel like Windows or Mac

Xubuntu you can use either UI or cmdline, I use slackware on servers, so cmdline only.

•••
•••
The security & legal liability implications of dropping this domain must be horrendous.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back