IT.COM

domains Delhi HC restrains registrars from offering domain names with 'Amul'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
In a landmark judgement to protect the originality of the brands, the Delhi High Court has restrained domain registrars such as GoDaddy, Big Rock, Freenom among others from selling or offering for sale domain names with "Amul" as a suffix or prefix in any combination.

read more (thehindubusinessline)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is new, thanks for sharing

•••
That puts the breaks on the new amulet website I was going to launch...

•••
This article specifically mentions fraud (not domain squatting) as the prime reason for restrictions.

"...the Court took serious note of how miscreants purchase rogue websites containing names of well-known brands like Amul, to dupe and defraud the public by offering dealership, distributorship, franchise, jobs."

•••
•••
Suppose I have started a clothing line and I want to book something like "damul.com" as my brand because according to common logic, it should be granted to me because it has nothing to do with the category "amul" is in, which is dairy products i guess.

This has set an unacceptable and illogical precedent for domainers and regular domain registrants. What if everyone else starts doing the same. I hope it is country-specific only( India ).

Also amul is a very common indian name. What is next, you cant name your kid amul anymore ? Lol..this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
•••
Suppose I have started a clothing line and I want to book something like "damul.com" as my brand because according to common logic, it should be granted to me because it has nothing to do with the category "amul" is in, which is dairy products i guess.

This has set an unacceptable and illogical precedent for domainers and regular domain registrants. What if everyone else starts doing the same. I hope it is country-specific only( India ).

Also amul is a very common indian name. What is next, you cant name your kid amul anymore ? Lol..this is ridiculous.

It is not specifically mentioned, but I imagine it only applies to the .in name space? India should not have the authority to dictate usage of other domains. They need to get their own fraudsters in order before they hold others accountable. More than half of the scam and phishing emails I receive are from India.

Last edited:
•••
I am almost certain this only applies to .IN domains, and possibly Indian citizens buying other extensions, but it's still quite insane to be creating these bizarre precedents in a country-centric, totally biased legal environment and then expect the entire world to toe the line.

You have Amul, a major Indian brand, tossing bags of money at any judge, lawyer, or elected official they can get their hands on, and amazingly, an Indian court agrees with them,. Big surprise! They would probably also agree the Earth is flat with enough greasy money.

Last edited:
•••
Whoever made the ruling must be technologically illiterate.

•••
I know this sets a bad precedent, but this is not so much about Amul protecting their brand from counterfiets and such as it is about scammers using Amul in the domains names to scam people, much like those fake emails with Facebook from facebook page hackers.
Amul won't most likely go Damul brand of underwear.
I think there eeven is a Amul brand underwear

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back