Definite and indefinite articles in domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Hi all /

I have a question.
Can articles in domains be dropped like they sometimes dropped in newspaper headlines? And how dropping them can affect the value?

For example, what's better for a website with info on hurricane preparedness, survivehurricane.com or surviveahurricane.com?

Now let's talk about the definite article, the. Let's say we need a domain for some website related to a specific drought going on somewhere, what's better fightdrought.com or fightthedrought.com?

Thanks!
P.S. My examples are gloomy.. hurricanes, droughts, nothing better came to mind, sorry :Z I guess I need some sleep. Nightie night GMT+3 and neighbors.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how about 'extremeweatherconditions' as a one size fits all

imo.....

•••
how about 'extremeweatherconditions' as a one size fits all

imo.....

Thanks but those are just examples, I don't need domains about weater conditions right now. I'm really interested in having some domains with phrases, and those phrases generally use articles...

•••
I am new to the domaining world and rely on bots like estibot to some extent and apparently for your example, the names with the articles are valuated higher than the names without.

•••
I am new to the domaining world and rely on bots like estibot to some extent and apparently for your example, the names with the articles are valuated higher than the names without.
This is a question about aesthetics. Bots can't help us with that.

•••
From what I've observed it's usually a case to case basis but as a general rule unless it's a very specific statement you're better missing out an "a" or "the"
For example I own "WhyleavetheEU.com/.net" and but I let WhyLeaveEU.com go because it wasn't the exact question people search for. However two words put together with no article would tend to be more brandable in my view. But if you have the money buy both!

If it's for your own website take the best fit but usually if you're looking for a sell on, drop the article unless it's absolutely necessary.

•••
Thanks guys. Any new opinions?

Last edited:
•••
Stick to natural and grammatically correct language when it comes to phrases IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Back