Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Defensive Domaining

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

VURG

VURGTop Member
Impact
742
I get asked often about building my domains into websites. I have no interest in building websites with my domains. I see my focus more as a defensive domainer. I may use my domains in the future but I find developing domains boring and pointless. Anyone else take the defensive domaining mindset?
 
4
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
A great example here, check out dyandot.com.
It was initially bought in 2004.
 
0
•••
1
•••
Great perspective, VURG

Defensive portfolios quietly create value by protecting brands long before development ever matters.
 
0
•••
6
•••
Interesting terminology.

How do you define it?

Thanks.

I guess I see Defensive Domaining is domaining with an inbound marketing approach as opposed to the standard outbound marketing approach. For me, I keep a small set of undeveloped low traffic rare domains. I have no intension to develop my domains this decade at this stage. For me the value in the name is the core concepts that I aim to sell through the names. I work on the Intellectual Property behind the domain names. Having a set of prepared brands for the IP means that I have a planned strategy for scaling and growth. I expect to be in a better position to grow my IP when I am in my 50's than today and so I am saving my domains for a future time. I do enjoy retaining a domainer presence on the internet and I try to keep my domaining skills fresh but I don't market my names much and tend to do nothing with my collection except hold and wait.
 
1
•••
Hi

blah, blah

no such thing as defensive domaining

that’s the bs that scammers use to get companies to reg . CN names

if you don’t have a brand then wtf are you defending


imo….
 
0
•••
Hi

blah, blah

no such thing as defensive domaining

that’s the bs that scammers use to get companies to reg . CN names

if you don’t have a brand then wtf are you defending


imo….

hey buddy Vurg gets ask often and its playing defense
 
0
•••
I guess I see Defensive Domaining is domaining with an inbound marketing approach as opposed to the standard outbound marketing approach. For me, I keep a small set of undeveloped low traffic rare domains. I have no intension to develop my domains this decade at this stage. For me the value in the name is the core concepts that I aim to sell through the names. I work on the Intellectual Property behind the domain names. Having a set of prepared brands for the IP means that I have a planned strategy for scaling and growth. I expect to be in a better position to grow my IP when I am in my 50's than today and so I am saving my domains for a future time. I do enjoy retaining a domainer presence on the internet and I try to keep my domaining skills fresh but I don't market my names much and tend to do nothing with my collection except hold and wait.
Makes sense to me. 👍
 
1
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back