IT.COM

.us Death Knell for Kids.us? Disney.kids.us Dropping Tomorrow

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Companies like Disney were expected to be the bright lights in the Kids.us space but now disney.kids.us is dropping tomorrow. If they aren't interested who will be? Time to turn off the lights?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting observation, except Disney didn't register the domain. Hard to know if they even saw the domain at any point. I agree that it does seem strange that it wouldn't have sent up a redflag, but then Disney is not as sue happy as they once were. Also since Disney is a surname, though not common, maybe they weren't in the position to do so. Interesting find. I bet someone will snap it up though either way.

•••
i never thought kids.us was worth anything, only a few people made money, and that was a very limited and early bunch who marketed the name to people outside the realm of "domain industry" who thought it was a good idea

•••
Creating kids.us seems to have been the initial death knell, IMHO. The rules were just too restrictive -- I mean, no links from those sites to outside the kids.us namespace? Come on!

•••
I think they took the wrong road to get to the right cause.

Domain names are way too easy to change, forward, and otherwise get around in a browser. The internet is too far along to segregate either adult or non-adult content by domain name tld only. Child protection needs to be deeper in the DNS protocols and tied to IP ranges which can't be easily fooled. It would be much simpler to segregate an IP range (maybe in IPv6) for a rating system. In effect you could just use the current domain names and assign specified IP's for protected content. Adult sites and kids could keep their current names and TLD's and still protect by content based on IP range settings. IP's are much more closely controlled than domain names, so there would be less hastle for webmasters others by applying for a "G" rated IP number for their domain name. In effect it would be like TV ratings where NR not rated content would use IPs outside the protected range and could be accessed by anyone who did not set their security settings to a higher level. A company like Disney could choose to not have their content rated and be filtered by child protection settings, or get rated to have a higher approval level like PG or G. content could use the same domain, but be on different fixed IP servers by content rating.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back