Domain Empire

Deadbeat Buyers: Naming Names and Details

NameSilo
Watch

Should Domainers Publish the Names and Details of Deadbeat Buyers?

• 1st

It depends on the circumstances

votes
    61.5%
  • 2nd

Yes

votes
    34.6%
  • 3rd

No

vote
    3.8%
  • 4th

Not Sure

votes
    0.0%

• 26 votes
  • Ended 11 years ago
  • Final results
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's a good idea. I voted Yes. But IMHO, the seller should use their own best judgment.

•••
I think details should be made public. May save other folks time and grief on future deals.

•••
100 per cent.

Name & shame! And post details everywhere you can.

I have been doing it for some years now.

•••
Voted "It depends on the circumstances" and think the same should same should apply to sellers.

•••
Voted "It depends on the circumstances" and think the same should same should apply to sellers.

What circumstances?

The buyer and seller set terms and agree to the deal or they don't. I fail to see where circumstances come into play :-/

•••
Unforeseen litigation, medical issues or some other financial hardship which prevents closure among others. If the deal was significant or important enough, then a nonrefundable deposit or other asset would have been secured if the deal goes south.

By no means do I like anyone pricking around with me. However, if someone says to me their wife just died or something serious happened then I would do what I think is right.

•••
Personally I don't think it does much good. And it does depend on the circumstance. When someone says they will buy something and doesn't that's one thing. But when someone legally agrees to buy something and doesn't that's another thing. If someone emailed me saying they would buy a domain for $1000, I would think 'great" but that doesn't mean they will actually buy it. It would be nice if that were the case though. Unless if it's a repeat scammer going by their real name, though, what good will come from posting their details on the internet?

•••
Most domainers are a bunch of bitchy little whiners when they don't get their way, imho.

How many actually have legally formed contracts? Proper invoices? Handle taxes properly?

Less than 1%?

It's a shitty industry, with shitty people. Most of them on the selling side screwing the buying side, quite honestly.

Last edited:
•••
Personally I don't think it does much good. And it does depend on the circumstance. When someone says they will buy something and doesn't that's one thing. But when someone legally agrees to buy something and doesn't that's another thing. If someone emailed me saying they would buy a domain for $1000, I would think 'great" but that doesn't mean they will actually buy it. It would be nice if that were the case though. Unless if it's a repeat scammer going by their real name, though, what good will come from posting their details on the internet?

1) It might just stop them doing it again.

2) Their info will be listed so potential sellers/ buyers will be able to be aware.

3) From my point of view,having had this on several occasions, I get great satisfaction from posting the info on various related websites and then emailing the links to the perp in question.

4) If somebody emails me saying they they will buy domain whatever for a price and I accept then that is as good a "contract" as I require.

5) I am sure there are more reasons, simply doing nothing is not for me and that should apply to all!

•••
4) If somebody emails me saying they they will buy domain whatever for a price and I accept then that is as good a "contract" as I require.

What you want and what contract law wants aren't the same thing.

What other industry works on an "email" basis?

"Yeah build my new deck... I'll pay you $2K later..." in an email is not exactly good enough to get a lien on a house, or the work started.

I would love for domaining to be regulated so the majority of people would know how to act professionally

•••

"Yeah build my new deck... I'll pay you $2K later..." in an email is not exactly good enough to get a lien on a house, or the work started.

I would love for domaining to be regulated so the majority of people would know how to act professionally

Put it this way. If you emailed me and said you wanted to buy domain whatever for $xxxx and I subsequently agreed and you did not proceed with the sale then your details would be plastered all over the Internet with a copy of the emails etc.

What recourse would you have?

•••
Put it this way. If you emailed me and said you wanted to buy domain whatever for $xxxx and I subsequently agreed and you did not proceed with the sale then your details would be plastered all over the Internet with a copy of the emails etc.

What recourse would you have?

In petty online disputes neither party looks good. It is fairly common that people do not understand the scope and breadth of the internet. What seems like a good idea - that is "smearing"... often has ramifications far beyond what you expect. Anyone who is willing to drag someone's character through shit has to be prepared to look like they mucked the stall.

Its much better to win some, lose some and carry on, imho.

If you want to call someone a deadbeat? want to perform a characater assasination? You better have a proper contract with all your ducks lined up because other you may have proved someone a deadbeat... but you've proved yourself a major dick in the process. It doesn't take much to turn the tide against you. You better have no skeletons in your closet, no TM domains, nothing that can be held against you because it will come out if you press hard enough.

The internet has no moral compass and it never forgets anything. You want to play around in that quagmire? Be my guest but don't say I didn't warn you.

The high road. It may be the path less traveled - but that makes ALL the difference.

•••
I've just never seen anything good from posting people's info on the internet. That in itself is morally wrong to me and would make me feel skeptical doing business with a person who would do that and besides it's unprofessional. We have to realize buyers are in a different position than sellers and don't have the same views on things most often. Some people don't realize how sellers feel when a buyer tells them they will buy something and then change their mind. They just don't think anything of it. It's like when you sell something on eBay and the buyer sends you a message saying they read the description wrong and don't want it anymore. You don't have to refund them but what good is it going to do to refuse to cancel the deal? Just be a good person and move on.

•••
If the attitude shown here by some of the posters is adopted by all then nothing will get done.

Lets do nothing,just move on and let them get away with it! Sure that will sort them out-not!

However, I don't think that is the case with the majority of domainers?

They want this to stop and posting details is certainly one way and I for one have no qualms about it, they are simply screwing people around and The Domains has my 100% support.

I am not noted for being backwards in coming forwards, so proactive it is for me.

For you. Yes,no, sit on the fence etc the choice is yours.

DU disliked this post :blink:

Last edited:
•••
The majority of negotiations in real estate transactions are now through emails.

And, in the case of Naldi vs. Grunberg, a five-judge New York state appellate court ruled that emails are legally binding.

On the other hand, the real estate industry does not make public the 'names and details' of folks who make 'deadbeat offers' --most likely because that would be bad for business.

Someone who backed out today may change their mind, again, tomorrow, on the property in question -or another property another day.

Then, of course, there is the Defamation Of Character thing -which is defined as 'false or unjustied injury'.

The best practice is to thank the prospect for the offer and FYI a mention that email offers are legally binding (citing the above case in a footnote).

•••
I'm quoting one of my posts on the referenced blog article topic here since it's relevant to the conversation and pertains to NamePros.

I can’t speak for other communities when it comes to breaching binding sales agreements, however I can touch base with how NamePros operates and deals with such issues. This may assist with others performing similar tasks or maybe even someone can contact me with more ideas on how to combat it if you feel we are missing something in our process.

1.) All Auction Bids are binding agreements.

2.) All offers are binding agreements. Optionally a buyer may add an expiration date as to when their offer expires.

3.) All fixed price “SOLD” posts are binding agreements.

4.) All domains listed for sale by a seller in an auction are a binding agreement to sell if a bid occurs within their guidelines. (Multi-forum post auctions are NOT allowed).

5.) We have a warning and infraction system in place. Each profile is allowed up to 20 infraction points before their account auto closes. Each infraction type is worth a different amount of points and habitual infractions accumulate more points than the previous. Infractions have different life spans before they expire and the points no longer count as active.

6.) When a seller or Buyer reports a deal that went south we first try to mediate between both parties to assist in the motivating the parties to complete the transaction.

7.) In the event one party refuses to abide by the binding agreement, they may receive a Bad Business infraction (15 Points) + negative itrader from the other party involved in the deal. Such an infraction has a 12 month life span on the first offense. Any further infractions within that time that meet or exceed 5 points will push the account over the limit and cause the account to auto close.

8.) In extreme cases there is an option to close an account on the spot for investigation.

9.) Naturally in a Make Offer or Fixed price environment there are muti-listings at other marketplaces. Sellers are not bound to sell for a price lower than they expect and are welcomed to keep looking for better offers. With fixed Price, there are times a domain may sell somewhere else and the seller hasn’t had time to update their listing yet, resulting in a buyer feeling they were mistreated. We understand how the process works and explain it to the buyer if they report the incident. Unless the seller engaged the buyer and made direct commitments to sell to them prior to selling elsewhere and the buyer was within the time constraints, then it’s not the sellers fault.

I’m not sure what others are doing to help combat non-payers and non-sellers, however the above is our attempt at a preventative measure. Naturally we evaluate each situation independently from one another. If anyone has more ideas on a fair way to combat abuse from both buyers and seller, feel free to contact me at any time.

Eric Lyon

•••
What circumstances?

- Accident?
- Lost properties over disaster?
- Find out the domain was stolen?
- Find a potential TM claim?

You never know what may happen tomorrow.

•••
Voted "It depends on the circumstances" .

:talk:

me too

Unforeseen litigation, medical issues or some other financial hardship which prevents closure among others.

if someone says to me their wife just died or something serious happened then I would do what I think is right.

:talk:

those reasons above would be cause for consideration

mainly because I truly believe in karma, as in... "what goes around, comes around"

though if it's a lame ass domainer trying to get off the hook easy, I'll post their info in USA today

imo....

•••
- Accident?
- Lost properties over disaster?
- Find out the domain was stolen?
- Find a potential TM claim?

You never know what may happen tomorrow.

You raise some good points, proving that situations can be more nuanced than might first appear.

So it's probably better to research each situation before going around the bend.

:)

•••

You raise some good points, proving that situations can be more nuanced than might first appear.

So it's probably better to research each situation before going around the bend.

Wow you are a busy girl if you have just got around to answering this thread

•••
Yes. I just had a domain auction end at $1,200 and the buyer didn't pay.

And c'mon, when people do this it's very unlikely that there is some sort of great reason to not follow through with the transaction. In most circumstances in just another deadbeat buyer.

•••
Wow you are a busy girl if you have just got around to answering this thread

Weird.

I had just received an alert for this thread.

I didn't notice the last date of the previous post.

I must have missed Keith's post the first time around.

Or, perhaps, my view has moderated a bit.

•••
•••
I have three eBay bidders not paying, not communicating, after 3 days. Getting ticked. It's the non-communication that truly bothers me. One has 1000+ and the other 2000+ (all positive) feedback. Go figure!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back