IT.COM

Dead-on Post by Rick Schwartz about Established TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

This is one of the smartest posts I have read by a domain blogger:

http://www.ricksblog.com/2013/10/bi...ception-everything-review-current-extensions/

Rick Schwartz analyzes the possible effects that .whatever might bring to the table for the existing ccTLDs and gTLDs.

Like Rick, I see cautious optimism regarding established TLDs, including .us.

My opinion :I believe that .web could be a game changer, but it depends how its registry markets it.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bandwidth ?

yea the timing was off

looking back now its obvious to me TLD's like .info, .mobi .travel, .pro, etc wernt going to get over the "2nd class extension" weirdness barrier on their own, being so few of them. when people talk about there not being domain names any more - this might be as close to that reality as we get when you can stick a dot between almost any two words. obviously theres a while to go before thats possible and we'll have to see what Round 2 and 3 looks like but 1,000+ specific words aint a bad start

•••
looking back now its obvious to me TLD's like .info, .mobi .travel, .pro, etc wernt going to get over the "2nd class extension" weirdness barrier on their own, being so few of them.

If each of those tlds listed above were actually used and promoted by big corporations then they wouldn't be "weird". Releasing 1 or 1000 doesn't change the fact that, without usage and constant promotion, extensions fade away.

Can anyone tell me who's going to use and promote even 100 of these? Billion dollar companies were around for the launch of prior tlds and ignored them. Not sure this time will be much different.

•••
If each of those tlds listed above were actually used and promoted by big corporations then they wouldn't be "weird". Releasing 1 or 1000 doesn't change the fact that, without usage and constant promotion, extensions fade away.

Can anyone tell me who's going to use and promote even 100 of these? Billion dollar companies were around for the launch of prior tlds and ignored them. Not sure this time will be much different.

i dont know whos going to promote them but i know theres 1,000x times more chance of that happening compared to just 1 TLD. different registries managing them means different plans and different advertising angles.

im not saying for sure significant promotion WILL happen but the possibility is there, 1,000 times more than just 1 TLD. thats why you cant compare this whole thing to .co, .mobi, .biz...

•••
After all this, the real issue is how are you going to drive traffic to your website. Is the domain name working ? Getting typeins or being ranked high on search engines is really what helps most websites, those who have little to no advertising budget. .coms worked because of first mover advantage and with generic keywords we could be ranked high - although recently Google has played with their algorithms to change all that. Nonetheless, its still valuable to get your website using a .com more than any other extension (unless its a cctld).

Are people going to type in .app when they are looking for an app or are they going to search Google for app. Its great to get a fancy looking domain name with whatever ending, but if it aint working, it will be just that. That is what I think will happen with most of these. The good news might be luring a lot more people to understand domain names, which might out turn out good in the long run for value of generic domain names and drive up .com and .cctld values even higher.

I have followed many extensions and bought some along the way .ws, .mobi, ,.jobs (very restrictive and monoplized), so the success will depend on how they are indiviudally used. So in short, more the merrier, because the ecosystem will educated everyone ...sometime the hard way.

•••
After all this, the real issue is how are you going to drive traffic to your website. Is the domain name working ? Getting typeins or being ranked high on search engines is really what helps most websites, those who have little to no advertising budget. .coms worked because of first mover advantage and with generic keywords we could be ranked high - although recently Google has played with their algorithms to change all that. Nonetheless, its still valuable to get your website using a .com more than any other extension (unless its a cctld).

Are people going to type in .app when they are looking for an app or are they going to search Google for app. Its great to get a fancy looking domain name with whatever ending, but if it aint working, it will be just that. That is what I think will happen with most of these. The good news might be luring a lot more people to understand domain names, which might out turn out good in the long run for value of generic domain names and drive up .com and .cctld values even higher.

I have followed many extensions and bought some along the way .ws, .mobi, ,.jobs (very restrictive and monoplized), so the success will depend on how they are indiviudally used. So in short, more the merrier, because the ecosystem will educated everyone ...sometime the hard way.

Well, most here are probably more interested in not developing and merely waiting for a RMF to pay mucho $ for an undeveloped domain.

•••
The 1and1 ad campaign is going over big at FB. So far they have 112 likes out of 1 billion users. Should've just taken a pic with the new extensions listed on a piece of loose leaf paper :lol:

•••
They are playing their ad during football like crazy, eyes are seeing it. Quite an effective commercial.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3KOpUsH3MI"]TV Commercial - 1&1 Internet - www.smith - Reserve Your Domain Name Today - YouTube[/ame]

•••
•••
Announcers repeatedly saying o.co stadium is helping that brand too ;)

This is why this why thread so nutty

A commercial shown repetitively during NFL games every week that so well visually shows that the right side of the dot now can have the keyword you want is a big deal.

This is not going to go a way.

There will not be a "it failed lets just stick to dot com" moment.

:wave:

•••
The problem with that ad is you're advertising something that's not available. You get somebody excited, then they find out it's not even available for another year or something. Then the people that do actually reserve, doesn't mean they will get it. When they don't, bad experience. I'm still not sure that when these are all released, how people are going to even find them. There's going to be some endless scrolling.

As far as ads. .co had Superbowl ads all to themselves. More than 1 year. What are they at now, reg wise? Did they break 2 million yet? Those are about to drop when these new ones start coming out.

I also read that guys comments from Donuts, about .camera. Doesn't hold up tho.

Camera stores already in existence, have their .com already.

So new companies. First, you have x amount of new companies.

Most of them, will still go for .com. Most stores are original names, most which will be available for hand reg in .com.

MikesCameras.com vs. Mikes.camera

Ones in existence
RitzCamera.com
WolfCamera.com
BeachCamera.com
CardinalCamera.com

etc.

You can get those all day long in reg fee. Don't think there's this big market of companies or stores that will get a .camera.

It'll be a big deal, mainly on domain sites, some tech sites but when it comes time to register, they'll see the usual extensions at top, maybe a more mainstream one they think will sell like a .web but all these other novelty, niche type ones will get buried. Maybe 120th, 230th, 856th choice.

Last edited:
•••
This is why this why thread so nutty

A commercial shown repetitively during NFL games every week that so well visually shows that the right side of the dot now can have the keyword you want is a big deal.

This is not going to go a way.

There will not be a "it failed lets just stick to dot com" moment.

:wave:

But folks watching the advert during the game can't have the domains they want. Domainers and companies playing defense will make sure of that :bingo:

•••
But folks watching the advert during the game can't have the domains they want. Domainers and companies playing defense will make sure of that :bingo:

so which one is it:

the registries wont get enough registrations to survive or domainers will register everything worthwhile because they see value in them?

cause saying both is starting to sound kinda funny.

•••
so which one is it:

the registries wont get enough registrations to survive or domainers will register everything worthwhile because they see value in them?

Both. I think that's one of the points you've been trying to make, that it can't be both, when it can.

Seriously:
.kitchen
.camera
etc.

There isn't some endless list of keywords that make sense with a lot of these extensions. So it wouldn't be hard for domainers to snap up that short list, while still having, overall, low regs.

•••
so which one is it:

Spin it how you wish but you're a smart guy.

Domainers will gobble up all they can, just like with .mobi. .co and so on. The average joe sitting at home watching the football advert doesn't stand a chance when mjnels is pre-regging several hundred top keywords. Landrush will happen with the traditional pump and dump threads on the boards and then silence.

Anyhow, domainers registering the best keywords possible and renewing for years won't help the cause. How's mobility these days? :o

•••
Both. I think that's one of the points you've been trying to make, that it can't be both, when it can.

Seriously:
.kitchen
.camera
etc.

There isn't some endless list of keywords that make sense with a lot of these extensions. So it wouldn't be hard for domainers to snap up that short list, while still having, overall, low regs.

man i dunno thats a lot of domainers to take up the slack for that many TLD's... will be pretty interesting to watch cause i really dont know how many new people will be arriving but im sure itll be a bunch..

Spin it how you wish but you're a smart guy.

Domainers will gobble up all they can, just like with .mobi. .co and so on. The average joe sitting at home watching the football advert doesn't stand a chance when mjnels is pre-regging several hundred top keywords. Landrush will happen with the traditional pump and dump threads on the boards and then silence.

yea but if they dont actually have any value theyll get dropped in few renew cycles.

Keith said:
How's mobility these days? :o

that place was like a cult. i was embarrassed to be there with the way people were attaching their hopes and dreams to .mobi... some of the talk was just way too much. when i registered my first 50 .mobi during landrush i never expected that sort of hype. i figured there'd be a few threads and thats it... then a flower bomb went off.

Jeff was still an annoying troll though who could have made more of a contribution if he wasnt constantly trying to pretend to be on .mobi's side... i tried to have a real conversation with the guy quite a few times.

•••
man i dunno thats a lot of domainers to take up the slack for that many TLD's... will be pretty interesting to watch cause i really dont know how many new people will be arriving but im sure itll be a bunch...

I don't think it's that hard. If .pw can get 250,000+ regs, some of these extensions, maybe a few hundred or just a few thousand at most, would make sense. Play it out, pick one of these novelty extensions and see how many keywords you can come up with.

Some of these are just pointless, ones mentioned already .xyx, .hiv stuff. One I wouldn't even touch, xyz, the other, very short list of keywords.

Do you even 1,000 good keywords for .kitchen, that really would make sense? Most of the keyword combinations that make sense with kitchen, have kitchen coming first.

kitchen cabinets
kitchen remodeling
kitchen islands

So even for the good keywords, it would be in the wrong order.

Would you build a business on cabinets.kitchen?

Last edited:
•••
Jeff was still an annoying troll though who could have made more of a contribution if he wasnt constantly trying to pretend to be on .mobi's side... i tried to have a real conversation with the guy quite a few times.

It's funny you mention him because I've been thinking that it would be great to hear his thoughts on this subject. He was clearly right about long, clumsy, awkward .mobi R.I.P. 8-X

•••
It's funny you mention him because I've been thinking that it would be great to hear his thoughts on this subject. He was clearly right about long, clumsy, awkward .mobi R.I.P. 8-X

yea but he wont give you his thoughts..just some passive aggressive BS and other nonsense. this thread and all forums are better off without people like that.

snoop on the other hand was a reasonable guy and one of my favorite "naysayers" to have a conversation with.

•••
yea but he wont give you his thoughts..just some passive aggressive BS and other nonsense. this thread and all forums are better off without people like that.

snoop on the other hand was a reasonable guy and one of my favorite "naysayers" to have a conversation with.

I agree that his delivery was a bit juvenile but he was right in the end.

It would be easy to grab a few "gems" with all the options but I'll pass. I'm holding out for 1k fb likes...

•••
I don't think it's that hard. If .pw can get 250,000+ regs, some of these extensions, maybe a few hundred or just a few thousand at most, would make sense. Play it out, pick one of these novelty extensions and see how many keywords you can come up with.

Some of these are just pointless, ones mentioned already .xyx, .hiv stuff. One I wouldn't even touch, xyz, the other, very short list of keywords.

Do you even 1,000 good keywords for .kitchen, that really would make sense? Most of the keyword combinations that make sense with kitchen, have kitchen coming first.

kitchen cabinets
kitchen remodeling
kitchen islands

true about .PW thats crazy..

tend to agree about the things like .kitchen but not because its limited or "too specific" really but because like you pointed out cant really create many good "hacks" with it because most things with kitchen in it has the word "kitchen" first.

from a domainer standpoint it would seem like you'd want to make these as naturally spoken as possible.. one thing i think that goes good with even crappy TLD's are major cities though. chicago.kitchen, etc...

also with .xyz i listened to the guys pitch and selling point but i ask myself if we're heading toward specific extensions why would people want a new "default" like he's talking about. seems backwards.. which is why i think .web isnt that great - a little better than .kitchen maybe.

•••

kitchen cabinets
kitchen remodeling
kitchen islands

Just some food for thought, don't rule out the long tail keyword play of some developers / buyers. Some of those people may invest in a long term expansion idea of a .Kitchen domain such as but not limited to:

Real.Kitchen/Cabinets.php
Oak.Kitchen/Remodeling.php
New.Kitchen/Islands.php
Silver.Kitchen/Utensils.html
Electric.Kitchen/Appliances.html
Girly.Kitchen/Designs.asp
HomeMade.Kitchen/Decorations.asp

The long tail list goes on & on when you toss keyword play into the equation of many of the new extensions. Not saying everyone will be after such a strategic long term plan, but it at least deserves some consideration in the big picture of a Keyword Powered Domain Future. ;)

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
yeah, i think the point about some of these extensions being "too specific" is mostly overstated.

as long as the registries think they can stay afloat.. too specific (aka targeted) is probably alright if we have thousands of words to the right of the dot. (and also get over the .weirdness barrier which is the 1st step really)

•••
Just some food for thought, don't rule out the long tail keyword play of some developers / buyers. Some of those people may invest in a long term expansion idea of a .Kitchen domain such as but not limited to:

Real.Kitchen/Cabinets.php
Oak.Kitchen/Remodeling.php
New.Kitchen/Islands.php
Silver.Kitchen/Utensils.html
Electric.Kitchen/Appliances.html
Girly.Kitchen/Designs.asp
HomeMade.Kitchen/Decorations.asp

The long tail list goes on & on when you toss keyword play into the equation of many of the new extensions. Not saying everyone will be after such a strategic long term plan, but it at least deserves some consideration in the big picture of a Keyword Powered Domain Future. ;)

Eric Lyon

Those just look kinda horrible to me and you can hand reg some of that now in .com. You can already do long tail stuff now, without adding extra confusion to the mix.

Also, consider new businesses, where there is an extremely high failure rate. They usually don't have the time or money to experiment on novelty extensions, waiting for years for the public to possibly become comfortable with them, when there is no need to. It would a new business, making it even harder on themselves, which doesn't make sense.

•••
Those just look kinda horrible to me and you can hand reg some of that now in .com. You can already do long tail stuff now, without adding extra confusion to the mix.

Also, consider new businesses, where there is an extremely high failure rate. They usually don't have the time or money to experiment on novelty extensions, waiting for years for the public to possibly become comfortable with them, when there is no need to. It would a new business, making it even harder on themselves, which doesn't make sense.

It's only confusing to those that refuse to accept it. I'm 40 this year and there's been lots of changes since I was a new start-up in my 20's. The new start-up generation today thinks more outside the box than the new start-ups of the past. For example, I have an associate who's grand father owns a small popular bar here in town. His grand dad refuses to put up a website, buy a domain, use facebook, or have any presence on the internet and sticks to his claim that "Nobody going to bar needs the internet". Keep in mind this gentleman is in his 80's and grew up in a different generation than many of us. He's still refusing to adapt to the age of the internet, let alone the age of Keyword domain extensions.

My generation (40's) is more than likely the same way about other things. Not all, but many tend to close the doors to change (new concepts) because it violates our comfort zone.

I'm just saying, keep an open mind to the new generation and all the new concepts that are going to be coming, otherwise we will all end up being like my associates grand father who thinks the internet is the devil (Except it will be the gtld's that are the devil this time) :p ;)

:: insert laughter here ::

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••

well they look horrible because they dont look like real domains today in 2013.

a lot of new businesses dont know what the hell they're doing even in the business field they're going into.... on the internet they pick crappy .com domains all the time, either because they dont take the time or creativity to think of a good one.

also, say goodbye to the old registrar interfaces.. i can almost say this for sure... the smart ones will have new innovative ways to sell you this stuff.

godaddy and other big ones will probably have you choose categories or maybe a short questionnaire to narrow down the profile of kinda TLD's that would make sense.. say what you will about the effectiveness of this but i dont think its just gonna be a huge list of 1,000+ TLD's... that'd be dumb. not sure what itll be but probably not anywhere near what it is now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back