Dynadot

discuss .DE an great alternative to .COM and a more safe investment?

NameSilo
Watch

DotWebGeek

Impact
Most TLDs I find interesting is connected to alternative domain name dispute processes like UDRP (gTLDs) or URS (nGTLDs). Also many ccTLDs provides simplified dispute processes when it comes to domain name matters. However, large and financially evolved countries like Germany (.DE) and Russia (.RU) doesn’t support simplified dispute processes. These countries refers to court processes which are time consuming and expensive as it would in most cases require the company to hire a law firm as agent located in the country to represent your case.

I’m not making this article to encourage domain name registrations infringing on registered trademarks In Germany or Russia. I would however argue, that there is always a possibility of registering domain names that could infringe on a registered trademark without the domain owners knowledge. For example, there are trademarks of more generic nature. Also, random 3 or 4-lettered domain names could also infringe on registered trademarks. Wouldn’t it therefore, be safer, to register random 3 to 4-lettered domain names under TLDs like .DE and .RU? This due to these countries expensive court processes which would make the interested party start by making an offer before initiating a dispute process. Buying the domain name for example 2 000 Euros would be a much cheaper choice.

Also, the requirement that the Admin contact be based in Germany is longer applicable. However, if there is a legal issue with the domain DENIC ask that a Local Address in Germany be provided which is offered from most registrars in Europe (local presence).

As I’m new to this forum, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the following,

- Would .DE domains be a safer domain name investment then .COM

- Would you consider 4-lettered and generic .DE domain names to be a good investment?

- Would the whois block be a problem even if you provide contact details on the webpage when it comes to sales?

It would also be interesting to hear others experience selling .DE domain names.

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For Germans perhaps. Probably the most successful cctld.

•••
All done at sedo.de requires business registration in Germany to make a purchase.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back