IT.COM

Dan New Price Request feature

NameSilo
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Dan now has now added the "Price request" feature for their listings. My best sale thus far was with Afternic and "price request," so I'm excited to see this option on a second domain marketplace.
Has anyone used this with any success there?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Activated it when they first rolled it out like a month ago. Immediately got 4 price requests in the first two hours. By the end of the 3rd day I had gotten even more with no results so I disabled it. I don’t need anymore fishing expeditions than I allready get.

The people using that feature the most is likely other domainers, possibly holding another extension or a similar name.

Even if end users I see no reason to disclose a price with zero commitment from the other party. At least with make offer they have to make an offer first before you disclose a price. I feel this feature doesn’t benefit me so I won’t be using it.

•••
Activated it when they first rolled it out like a month ago. Immediately got 4 price requests in the first two hours. By the end of the 3rd day I had gotten even more with no results so I disabled it. I don’t need anymore fishing expeditions than I allready get.

The people using that feature the most is likely other domainers, possibly holding another extension or a similar name.

Even if end users I see no reason to disclose a price with zero commitment from the other party. At least with make offer they have to make an offer first before you disclose a price. I feel this feature doesn’t benefit me so I won’t be using it.
I think it might make sense for domain resellers who are willing to sell for cheap, to maybe recover the cost.
Or for long term domain name investors to anchor towards a certain price.

•••

First, let me say that you are an example for the newbies, to be savvy and not afraid to try new things and adapt accordingly!
When you received the price request, was there a message box where you could communicate with the potential buyer and allow some negotiation to begin? The message box is available when sending a counteroffer. Sending further details with a price request could be very helpful to eventually complete the sale.

•••
First, let me say that you are an example for the newbies, to be savvy and not afraid to try new things and adapt accordingly!
When you received the price request, was there a message box where you could communicate with the potential buyer and allow some negotiation to begin? The message box is available when sending a counteroffer. Sending further details with a price request could be very helpful to eventually complete the sale.
There was no message box until/unless you fill in a price and hit submit. They are permitted a small message when sending. Only one of eight wrote a message— the typical How Much 😅

After you send the price they have a time period to accept your offer. If no reply is given the offer expires. I can’t recall the exact time but it was not super long like 2 to 5 days after you give a price. When the offer expires you get an email.

I am sure there are scenarios where this tactic is effective so good luck to anyone choosing to try this route.

Last edited:
•••
I think it might make sense for domain resellers who are willing to sell for cheap, to maybe recover the cost.
Or for long term domain name investors to anchor towards a certain price.
Resellers looking to sell cheap have zero reason not to set a bin imo or just make offer.

I agree its potentially beneficial for holders of truly super premium names to set expectations but same result can be achieved with a bin and make offer setting.

•••
There was no message box until/unless you fill in a price and hit submit. They are permitted a small message when sending. Only one of eight wrote a message— the typical How Much 😅
That's unfortunate, if there was any interest in the domain and a potential negotiation for eventually having a mutually satisfactory price. Is it like the counteroffer messaging, where could you send a f/u message to ask if there might be interest later on if the price is dropped?
Sedo has a "watch" option for potential buyers, which can alert them to a price drop. Dan does not appear to have that option, but the "price request" might be one way of helping to overcome this.

•••
Hi

i grazed through dan listings and quite a few sellers are using "price request' button...
however, none of the names i've seen so far, are worthy of asking for the price.

and that's in comparison to those names that do have pricing.

sure, you might get a lead, but the same lead could have started with an opening offer.

imo..

•••
Sedo has a "watch" option for potential buyers, which can alert them to a price drop.
Apologies for derailing the thread. I looked for this option, but could not find it. The only thing I can see is the below option. Maybe if I add a domain to my wish list, it is implied that I get an email when there is a price adjustment?

1646031020188.png

•••
Apologies for derailing the thread. I looked for this option, but could not find it. The only thing I can see is the below option. Maybe if I add a domain to my wish list, it is implied that I get an email when there is a price adjustment?

Show attachment 210875
Thanks for pointing that out. Following bids as a price change is one thing. What perhaps would be even better is also having notification if the buy or minimum bid price has been changed.

•••
I still believe that adding a "Contact Seller" option would lead to more sales than a "Price Request" option. I've had plenty of sales over the years due to a buyer simply making contact with me. Sometimes they just want to know how the purchase process works, which leads to a "back and forth" conversation, which leads to making the buyer feel more comfortable, which leads to a sale. The current Price Request that Dan is using only allows us to shoot the customer a price. If the buyer thinks the price is too high, we may never hear from them again. But if a rapport was built first, the price can be discussed and negotiated and a sale can be made.

•••
I had about 7 price requests in the last 2 months.

1 price declined.
1 no response after receiving price.
4 accepted offer price, but turned out to be fake buyers.
1 deal that went through after multiple negotiations.

Net net, plenty of fake buyers (people who don't understand what price they're requesting, or accepting).

•••
I still believe that adding a "Contact Seller" option would lead to more sales than a "Price Request" option. I've had plenty of sales over the years due to a buyer simply making contact with me. Sometimes they just want to know how the purchase process works, which leads to a "back and forth" conversation, which leads to making the buyer feel more comfortable, which leads to a sale. The current Price Request that Dan is using only allows us to shoot the customer a price. If the buyer thinks the price is too high, we may never hear from them again. But if a rapport was built first, the price can be discussed and negotiated and a sale can be made.
The (Contact Seller ) will be perfect, congratulations on your suggestion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back