NameSilo

Cybersquate to your hearts content

Located in Legal Discussion, started by dna, Oct 15, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. dna

dna Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

There is so much bad information concerning cybersquatting and trademark infringing being circulated on Namepros that I thought I should make quote available:

"One of the main problems concerning trademarks and domain names in unrestricted TLDs and gTLDs is that of trademarks in general: the rights of the trademark owner have to be asserted in order to protect the trademark. The trademark owner has to take legal action, typically a UDRP, to defend the trademark after the potentially infringing domain has been registered. The UDRP action has to follow a procedure of notifying the respondent, receiving a reply from the respondent, appointing an adjudication panel and awaiting a decision. The process can take two months or more and all costs (typically more than $1,000 even for a single domain) are borne by the complainant, while the infringing party stands to lose nothing except the registration fee (usually under $10) for the original domain and the registrar of the infringing name incurs no penalty at all."

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TestCase

TestCase Note: Doesn't play well with others. VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Mmmmmmm, I see your quote and raise you this....

Source: http://keytlaw.com/netlaw/domain-name-dispute-faq/

Yeah, THERE SURE IS a lot of bad information concerning cybersquatting and trademark infringement being passed around. Cough, cough. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge... :xf.confused::xf.eek:O_o

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  3. Hypersot

Hypersot Top Contributor VIP

I just follow common sense; I don't exploit other businesses traffic (aka. typos), I avoid domains that clearly relate to entities who are well known and generally I avoid earning without putting some hard work myself.

Note that I mainly do parking and doing the above is very hard but it can happen if one is careful not to step in other people's toes.

That is the reason I believe that in my three years into domaining I have never had an issue with UDRPs.

4. Kuffy

Kuffy Name Stag VIP

I'm one of the people who has come under attack foir this. My policy is to put myself in the place of the trademark owner, and reflect on the way I would like to see the name used. There are so many name variants, that it is not economic to register all of them to defend a trademark. With my "Sony video" name. I included prominent links to the various Sony video sites, I stated that I was not affiliated with Sony in any way, and that should Sony want the name, I would be preopared to give it to them at no cost.

I made sure that any comments on the site were favourable to Sony, and that no advertising or links were associated with any competing products. I owned the name for a few years, and didn't ever receive any contact from them. They must have known that I was using the name, because of the direct links to their sites..

And I really believe that Sony products are high quality, despite the fact that I let the domain drop when I was clearing out my portfolio. :) I see that a Chinese company has picked up the name.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice