Dynadot

opinion Curse of owning email (dot) ba domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amar D

Established Member
Impact
I want to share the curse of owning domain name email -dot- ba

So, I've enabled catch-all option for this domain name. And I'm getting tons of mispelled email messages that were direct to .bz .bs .br .bb and similiar domains.

Also I'm getting tons of copies of passports/personal ID cards and other sensitive things from British Airways customers as they use domain name @ba.com and people are forgetting to add .com at the end of email address.

Also there is tons of instagram/facebook and other accounts created or used with this @email.ba address.

• tons of bank statements... lol :facepalm:
What is the right thing to do with this content.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How do you know it is private until you have read it? :)

Easy, if you're John Smith and you use [email protected] + catch-all, and you receive a mail addressed to Peter Pan [email protected], you have a 99,99% chance that it's not meant for you without even opening it.

If you get a stray mail in your (physical) mailbox, do you open it? I always return it to the postman.

Last edited:
•••
I have the same on my @bashar.com and a short @gmail.com hundreds if not thousands of people set their personal accounts on something@bashar(.)com or my very short @gmail.com address including but not limited to:
bank accounts (a LOT of them) including debit and credit cards
insurance companies
government entities
driving license, passports, visa applications
hospitals
social media accounts
apple and google backup email
and the list goes on

I'm tired from clicking on using the unsubscribe and notify in footer for sensitive information so I started to report spam and block them because even threatening the banks and credit cards companies i'm going to hack the customer account (after several attempts asking them nicely to remove my email) they kept sending me their customers' statements and transactions notifications :xf.grin: what more can I do?

I don't think there is any legal obligation as its not me or the OP mistake someone is using our personal information to send details. Similar to someone using your mobile number to receive OTP and you notify the bank and they continue to send SMS notifications to your mobile number :xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back