NameSilo

discuss Cryptocurrency Wallet Addresses and Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Recently I have been doing some reading on blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies. One issue which seems to be a potential complication of cryptocurrency wallets is that of public addresses - those which you use to receive funds from another party. Wallet addresses typically have dozens of characters and appear to be a random string of numbers and letters - certainly not something which is particularly memorable. The danger is that if someone sends funds to the wrong address, the transaction is irreversible on the blockchain. Funds can be lost by using the wrong address. So it would be valuable to have a memorable address. Perhaps within a wallet's software, more memorable addresses could be offered. However, it would become first come first served. Would there be a way to link memorable domain names (in any TLD including nTLDs) to wallet addresses? How much would cryptocurrency users be willing to pay for a memorable address to store their funds? Perhaps only $XX to maybe low $XXX but there might be some low-end application to domain names. Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.eth is already doing this for ethereum.

•••
Here's a thought - if a domain name were connected directly to a cryptocurrency wallet, what would happen if the domain were not renewed? Theoretically a new registrant would not be able to access those funds without the private key but the former registrant would not be able to access the funds without the public key. Perhaps the solution would be to automatically deduct any renewal fee from the value of any crypto wallet.

•••
Here's a thought - if a domain name were connected directly to a cryptocurrency wallet, what would happen if the domain were not renewed? Theoretically a new registrant would not be able to access those funds without the private key but the former registrant would not be able to access the funds without the public key. Perhaps the solution would be to automatically deduct any renewal fee from the value of any crypto wallet.
The domains are linked to your wallet. If you forfeit the name then you just take payment via the random string.

•••
Are Ethereum wallet domains in a particular TLD?

I had heard Dash was going to implement more memorable addresses in their upcoming Evolution release.

Are other wallet providers planning to offer this sort of functionality?

•••
Are Ethereum wallet domains in a particular TLD?

I had heard Dash was going to implement more memorable addresses in their upcoming Evolution release.

Are other wallet providers planning to offer this sort of functionality?
.eth and there is no renewal fee.

•••
One of my Bitcoin addresses is available.
167YShzmzSRZcfoFjAv8JBx31v6DwGwCtt.com

Now there are two problems with using it

• The string is case sensitive
  • What happens if somebody regs the .net and redirects it?
It would be much easier to put a QR code image on a memorable domain like my JetCash.com. Users could then scan that, or just cut and paste the string if that was included as well.

•••
Just to clarify one point.

There are two situations here - sending coins to an invalid address, and sending coins to a correct address, but owned by the wrong person.There is a 32 bit checksum in the address string, so that odds are against a mis-type being valid. In this case the system will reject the transaction. If you copy the wrong address, perhaps use the last payment you made instead of the current one, then your only redress is to track down the owner, and ask him if he can refund the payment.

•••
Yes I m agreed wid kuffy. It will your last transaction if you will try for it.
So first try for the renewal procedure of crypto.

•••
I agree - just get a domain name that your customers/senders can use to send you crypto & put your address & QR code on the homepage. Or use a short redirector like no_url_shorteners and a custom/short URL string.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back