IT.COM

domains Crypto Domain Names In High Demand As Web3 Gains Currency

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Dhruv Ajmera, a 29-year-old blockchain enthusiast based out of Mumbai, has started collecting new domain names like "noborders.bitcoin", "cashorcard.wallet", and "naughtyboy.nft". These domains aren't like regular URLs and if you try to visit them, the browser won't connect. Also called crypto domains, these are based on blockchain and are suddenly in high demand as crypto adoption improves and early adopters rush to buy them in the hope of making a packet by selling them later.

Think the dot-com era, when domain names were bought mostly in the hope that someone will come along and be willing to pay more for it. The same is now happening with Web3 domains.

"At the end of 1990s, there was a surge in demand for these domains because it was the easiest way to get discovered on the internet. They were sold for millions," said Ajmera, while refusing to disclose how many he has bought so far.

He has listed a few of them for sale on NFT marketplaces like OpenSea, which currently lists over 3,19,000 domain names for sale from just one registrar, with a floor price under 0.01 ETH.

According to Dune Analytics (Dune.xyz), a community-powered analytics platform, almost 90,000 domains were minted in November 2021, the highest ever in a single month. In total, there have been more than 3,69,000 unique registrations with more than 2,00,000 participants.

read more (Bloomberg Quint)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even if these "domains" ever were to become popular, I can't imagine marginal terms being in high demand.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Even if these "domains" ever were to become popular, I can't imagine marginal terms being in high demand.

Brad
Many young people are interested in -a prestige culture- and accumulates whatever simply because they believe these domains/digitals are as good (read: cool) as it gets. Satisfaction vs Business. IMO

Regards

Last edited:
•••
I hope he isnt comparing crap useless terms and keywords like his with original 1990s regs of top 1word dictionary domains.

its apples and oranges. but hey..some today have money and eth to burn... so good luck

imo he will need it

•••
After the popularity of .xyz , nothing surprise me .It seems nothing follow logic lately especially that you will never find in first search pages of google a domain extension with .xyz however the frenzy about it is ongoing:unsure:

•••

Brad
Lol. Right, "domains". Maybe someday they'll be used on the "internet". And maybe they'll be "bought" and "sold".

Get a grip guys. The future of domains arrived years ago, and we still have folks living under rocks.

•••
"if you try to visit them, the browser won't connect" <- the future of domains that arrived years ago.

•••
Lol. Right, "domains". Maybe someday they'll be used on the "internet". And maybe they'll be "bought" and "sold".

Get a grip guys. The future of domains arrived years ago, and we still have folks living under rocks.

Current

World Population 7.9 billion
Registered domain names 453 million

•••

My point is valid.

Even if an extension is somewhat popular, marginal terms are not going to be that valuable.

There is a reason 99% of .COM drop daily without any interest, despite the overwhelming popularity.

The terms in this article are basically worth something in .COM, but really no other extension.

If you had true premium terms, you could make a more compelling argument.

To act like every random term is going to have value is just fluff.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Current

World Population 7.9 billion
Registered domain names 453 million
Only 59.5% of the world even has internet.

Brad

•••
My human tingle tells me to stay away and I am following it lol

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone studied data of sales for these web3 domains ?

•••
I bought a super easy LLL extension for about $400 if that helps. I have over 400 extensions and yes I have sold multiple extensions also. Browser support is coming this year, remember web 3 is in it's infancy.

Last edited:
•••
I'm conflicted part of me is battling fomo and so I bought a couple Meta related names and dabbled in .xyz but a larger part of me feels the tulip mania and expects a bloodbath in the next three years when the bubble pops.

•••
Internet is changing so does domains should be. but..

Crypto domain is useful for a fairly limited user base. even if it gets popular in the future.
Handshake domains missing basic authenticity and uniqueness (as of now), which is a core feature of the domain names.

and many more to come ....

Very soon web3 bubble is going to burst, and I'll be ready to pick what is going to sustain. Just watching and observing ...

•••
I only have a couple, basically "My Name . crypto" and one I plan to use for a future business.

•••
Have these

LoveKrypto.con

krypto101.com

KryptoNow.com sold for $2,500

KryptoMarket.com sold for $777

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back