Domain Empire

interviews Croatian Company Infinum Goes From .Hr to .Com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
We started the company back while we were still students with lots of ideas but very shallow pockets, so we had to be careful what we spent. Since we started in Croatia, we got the ''.hr'' domain for free. But to expand our business abroad, we needed a country-specific domain,'' Tomislav Car wrote on the Infinum website, adding that he and his colleague, Matej Špoler, had decided in this context to buy the .co domain because it was the "closest" to .com, which was still too expensive for them at the time.

But as many as 495 of the top 500 American companies in 2016 had the .com domain, he points out, so it seemed to the two that this was one of the conditions for a successful business, and as Infinum grew, so did Car and Špoler's investment opportunities. When the company reached a figure of 30 employees, they decided it was time to take a step further. Still, the infinum.com domain was taken ...

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
25,000 US dollars

Yet, he believes, it has paid off. Search engines like Google, as Car explained, are well known for ranking domains not related to a particular country when listing results.

:xf.rolleyes: this sounds ... random

•••
There is one consistent point in @Lox post...

Companies are trying unique, or ccTLD extension first, then also consider or try .co but eventually buying the .com.

Does not matter what they say or do,they all have wet dreams about .com in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I love ccTLD's myself but they only make sense if your place of commerce is limited to one country.

•••
25,000 negotiated over seven years is quite ridiculous ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back