IT.COM

advice Creative Domain & Brand Exposure For Your Landers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Some of you already do this, have done it in the past, or forgot about it.

This may prove to be useful as an added domain or brand exposure technique to stimulate local area awareness.

Over the years I have liked to play with my smartphones tethering, which I use for the data on my laptop, while working remotely from anywhere in the U.S. I am at the time (Talk about freedom!).

I change the account name to funny slogans, brand names and/or domain names I own.

It's funny, because I forget that I do that a lot of times and in situations like the last three day's, when the local free wifi goes out and you fire up your mobile/mifi/wifi/data smartphone to tether too for those days and then a few days later stumble across some of the analytical data from those days that reminds you why you started setting your data sharing account name to your domain names landing page or website.

For perspective, when you set your data account to your domain name and the power or wifi goes out in the local area (Or someone just looking for wifi), everyone freaking out that their signal was lost, rush over to the available wifi list, where your domain asset is staring them in the face, creating curiosity, and sometimes a desire to check it out once they get back online.

It might look something like mine does in a wifi list:
OfficeDrift-Wifi.png

And for better perspective on the results, you can see a few analytics logs where I was using the data connection with my domain on the account and other people at the same RV park we were staying at visited the domain those days too when park WiFi came back on. I have even seen many return multiple times weeks or months later after finding us this way..

Note: The black icon of the person was my connection at the park.
analytics.png

At any rate, I thought I would share that in case someone was interested in creative brand or domain name exposure to get people to your landing page or website.

It works turning it on while sipping coffee in a coffee shop too. I know, I've done it. :) People are always checking for free wifi at coffee shops, so it's "In your face" local exposure (Within signal reach, the bigger the crowd, the better the results).

Have you ever used this creative technique to get more visits to your domains? Maybe at an event that's about the same niche as your domain you used so that it's a targeted audience of potential buyers seeing it?

Interesting to think about..... I may have to monitor this at a big event with a matching asset. :)

What's your experience?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, Godaddy and Booking.com ads are all over in cricket world cup stadiums these days... I like car advertising way in populous countries like india and pakistan where 20-60 million people live in small cities ...

•••
Put a message in the SSID of an old unused b/g router, put in a password but dont connect them to the net or as an access point. Then place them so they broadcast to a pedestrian areas if you are nearby. Set them on to simply broadcast a message to advertise a url.

•••
Great idea!

I'll try it with the following names...

Broadband.wales

Mobile.wales

....Should work well as i live in Wales

•••
What a Great idea! But what to do if you have hundreds .Coms?

Build your own marketplace/showcase brand using WordPress or Domain Market Pro and use that domain as the name of your wifi network.

•••
Yea I do that all the time changing my wifi name from gxnx dot com, squarely dot com and the best of all marijuanaguy dot com

Sometimes l open the router for others to use and then shut it down for a day.

•••
So... imm the only one who doesn't ever leave the home pc to go to these Wi-Fi hotspots and tether.. huh... *slurps straw slowly *

Btw Eric what is this $25 rollover internet disposable phone? It sounds too good to be true... surely there are monthly activation costs

•••
Super idea @Eric Lyon thanks! I will redirect them to NameDream.com on landing.

I'm working downtown now in Dublin tonnes of tech people around. There's even a deal with Virgin Media if you use them for TV, you get free phone including data for 3 months.

Do you think there should be a thread for guerilla marketing ideas?

•••
So... imm the only one who doesn't ever leave the home pc to go to these Wi-Fi hotspots and tether.. huh... *slurps straw slowly *

Btw Eric what is this $25 rollover internet disposable phone? It sounds too good to be true... surely there are monthly activation costs
They used to (And still do in some areas) sell them at gas stations with convenience stores all over the U.S., like Circle K's, Pertro's, Flying J's, Quick Trip's, etc... Sometimes Walgreens and CVS as well.

If you can't find a Flat out $25 phone that comes with at least a $5 data sim, then the alternative is eBay or Amazon for a cheap used smartphone that works with tethering capability, then you can go to walmart and buy a prepaid $5 to $10 data sim card for the carrier of the phone (Make sure it's a prepaid phone model, otherwise, it may need to be jailbreaked, which I do not recommend). Your data does not expire. That means it will remain there as long as you don't use it. Turning on your hotspot does not use data if nobody logs into the hotspot.

Just make sure all other Apps on the phone are off/disabled, as well as automatic updates (Unless you set it to only download updates on free wifi connections, so it won't use data to do it.).

That should do it :)

•••
Do you think there should be a thread for guerilla marketing ideas?
If it's domain related and focuses on a way to gain or monetize traffic for a domain, then it's fine in this forum: https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-parking-and-traffic-monetization.126/ , if it's generalized gorilla marketing and not specifically domain related, there is a Business and Marketing forum located here: https://www.namepros.com/forums/business-and-marketing.329/ or the General marketing and search engine marketing forum here: https://www.namepros.com/forums/general-marketing-and-search-engine-marketing.12/

Alternately, VIPs and Gold members can also discuss more coveted strategies not indexed by search engines in the insiders lounge here: https://www.namepros.com/forums/insiders-lounge.155/

I hope that helps.

•••
Some of you already do this, have done it in the past, or forgot about it.

This may prove to be useful as an added domain or brand exposure technique to stimulate local area awareness.

Over the years I have liked to play with my smartphones tethering, which I use for the data on my laptop, while working remotely from anywhere in the U.S. I am at the time (Talk about freedom!).

I change the account name to funny slogans, brand names and/or domain names I own.

It's funny, because I forget that I do that a lot of times and in situations like the last three day's, when the local free wifi goes out and you fire up your mobile/mifi/wifi/data smartphone to tether too for those days and then a few days later stumble across some of the analytical data from those days that reminds you why you started setting your data sharing account name to your domain names landing page or website.

For perspective, when you set your data account to your domain name and the power or wifi goes out in the local area (Or someone just looking for wifi), everyone freaking out that their signal was lost, rush over to the available wifi list, where your domain asset is staring them in the face, creating curiosity, and sometimes a desire to check it out once they get back online.

It might look something like mine does in a wifi list:
Show attachment 121327

And for better perspective on the results, you can see a few analytics logs where I was using the data connection with my domain on the account and other people at the same RV park we were staying at visited the domain those days too when park WiFi came back on. I have even seen many return multiple times weeks or months later after finding us this way..

Note: The black icon of the person was my connection at the park.
Show attachment 121328

At any rate, I thought I would share that in case someone was interested in creative brand or domain name exposure to get people to your landing page or website.

It works turning it on while sipping coffee in a coffee shop too. I know, I've done it. :) People are always checking for free wifi at coffee shops, so it's "In your face" local exposure (Within signal reach, the bigger the crowd, the better the results).

Have you ever used this creative technique to get more visits to your domains? Maybe at an event that's about the same niche as your domain you used so that it's a targeted audience of potential buyers seeing it?

Interesting to think about..... I may have to monitor this at a big event with a matching asset. :)

What's your experience?
Pure Genius...

•••
That most definitely does help @Eric Lyon! I wasn't actually aware of those threads, I'm going to set aside an afternoon and study them.

Thanks again,

•••
1. Rather than domain lander, you could add your domain market place, which list all your domain name for sale.

2. Rather than public place, make it as a sales job and visit trade shows going on your city and do high highlight your domain related to that particular trade show related, like if its organic food/healthy food show highlight your green/organic/diet domains :)

•••
That's actually a smart idea, I might try to use it soon, thank you.

In case someone else was wondering, I just checked: The maximum length of a WiFi SSID name is 31 or sometimes even 32 characters. Thats more than enough space to work with and one could include, as was already mentioned, not only the domain but also a call-to-action message. Of course keeping it shorter is better due to small phone screens.

•••
Back