Dynadot

discuss Crap I just bid on a domain I did not want!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
auctiongavel.png

HeHe

So it's late for me, have not eaten and have a bit of a sugar low. I see this domain for sale on GoDaddy and it's actually pretty sweet. Starting bid was quite reasonable and I figured it was way too low for a premium domain so I wanted the seller to think I was serious.

So guess what.... I bid twice the opening bid amount and felt pretty good that I had a chance the offer would get accepted.

Then..... a wave of something overcame me and I went to dictionary.com and sure enough I had a misspell on my hands, the domain had an extra letter that did not belong.

CRAP :muted:

So there I sit looking at the domain name trying to justify how I could possibly put it to use. No matter how I flipped it I figured I just wasted some good money. The owner of the domain would surely be accepting my offer.

Almost an hour to the T the seller came back with a counter for a couple hundred bucks more than my double sized offer.

HeHeHe.... I just chuckled to myself. The guy had a solid offer on a misspell and got greedy, he had to ask another couple hundred bucks. Well, that lets me of the hook, now I can go spend the money on something I actually want.

Lesson to seller: If you have a misspell that is close to the real word there is a chance the bidder did not realize it was a misspell. If you counter, you let him off the hook.

Think about accepting the bid on a misspell because you might not get a second bid when the guy on the other end realizes its a misspell.

So how was your day :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think an offer on godaddy is suppose to be good for 5 days. I can't remember the exact time frame. If you make a bid by mistake you should call godaddy asap and have them cancel your offer. Preferably within an hour. Basically anything could become an argument to escape. If the seller counters your offer it could be argued that he declined your offer. If they disagree. You could argue they weren't countering in good faith. If the seller has the option to bid higher I would argue that the buyer should be able to bid lower.

Don't get me wrong. If you make a bid you should have intent to complete the transaction. But I am also a reasonable man. I recognize errors are made. If a person makes a bid by mistake and is forthright I would let them off the hook.

•••
•••
•••
Show attachment 83683

HeHe

So it's late for me, have not eaten and have a bit of a sugar low. I see this domain for sale on GoDaddy and it's actually pretty sweet. Starting bid was quite reasonable and I figured it was way too low for a premium domain so I wanted the seller to think I was serious.

So guess what.... I bid twice the opening bid amount and felt pretty good that I had a chance the offer would get accepted.

Then..... a wave of something overcame me and I went to dictionary.com and sure enough I had a misspell on my hands, the domain had an extra letter that did not belong.

CRAP :muted:

So there I sit looking at the domain name trying to justify how I could possibly put it to use. No matter how I flipped it I figured I just wasted some good money. The owner of the domain would surely be accepting my offer.

Almost an hour to the T the seller came back with a counter for a couple hundred bucks more than my double sized offer.

HeHeHe.... I just chuckled to myself. The guy had a solid offer on a misspell and got greedy, he had to ask another couple hundred bucks. Well, that lets me of the hook, now I can go spend the money on something I actually want.

Lesson to seller: If you have a misspell that is close to the real word there is a chance the bidder did not realize it was a misspell. If you counter, you let him off the hook.

Think about accepting the bid on a misspell because you might not get a second bid when the guy on the other end realizes its a misspell.

So how was your day :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh:

So, you have no problem to auction the misspelled domain and without sign it as "missspell" hoping somebody will buy it by mistake?

•••
So, you have no problem to auction the misspelled domain and without sign it as "missspell" hoping somebody will buy it by mistake?

It's a mute point what I think because I don't deal in mispells. Hence the whole topic, I don't need it or want it.

•••
It's a mute point what I think because I don't deal in mispells. Hence the whole topic, I don't need it or want it.
But according to your comment I understand that you are capable or at least you do not see anything wrong in auction a misspell domain without any notice and sell it even if you suspect that the buyer is reading it wrong, but you will keep quiet.
That seems to me not business but a scam.
I would oblige each misspell domain seller to indicate it in the description and confirm that information to the buyer before he makes the payment.
Otherwise the deal could be cancelled.

•••
But according to your comment I understand that you are capable or at least you do not see anything wrong in auction a misspell domain without any notice and sell it even if you suspect that the buyer is reading it wrong, but you will keep quiet.
That seems to me not business but a scam.
I would oblige each misspell domain seller to indicate it in the description and confirm that information to the buyer before he makes the payment.
Otherwise the deal could be cancelled.

Let me repeat....

I DO NOT OWN, SELL, OR DEAL WITH MISSPELLS

Would I prefer a misspell to be labeled as a misspel? Well that would have helped me in this case so I cannot argue with that logic, but then again we are in a world of brandables where misspells are often intentional.

There is no clear cut answer to your question and asking each lister to label a misspell opens up the question about what is a misspell. US English, Canadian English, Brandable?

Who is going to police this and what dictionary do we use?

I do think there should be a grace period on misspells though. If someone contacts support 5 minutes after bidding and says he did not realize it was a misspell then maybe support should wipe it especially if there were no other bids.

It's a subject that will meet intense debate depending on which side of the sale you're sitting on.

Last edited:
•••
Let me repeat....
I DO NOT OWN, SELL, OR DEAL WITH MISSPELLS
Would I prefer a misspell to be labeled as a misspel? Well that would have helped me in this case so I cannot argue with that logic, but then again we are in a world of brandables where misspells are often intentional.
There is no clear cut answer to your question and asking each lister to label a misspell opens up the question about what is a misspell. US English, Canadian English, Brandable?
Who is going to police this and what dictionary do we use?
I do think there should be a grace period on misspells though. If someone contacts support 5 minutes after bidding and says he did not realize it was a misspell then maybe support should wipe it especially if there were no other bids.
It's a subject that will meet intense debate depending on which side of the sale you're sitting on.
I understand, but there are obvious errors that must be indicated in any auction:
1. wrong order of letters, for example: ou/uo, ea/ae, ui/iu etc
2. L-i and I-L problem
etc
You can considerate "lysted" as brandable, but "Iisted" (with capital "I") is misspell

•••
A mispell to one is correct to another. Apologize or Apologise. I personally would have no qualms in selling Apologize or Apologise to anybody. But it's when it's a clear mispelling in most languages, like Apollogize. Would be were I draw the line. And should be declared as a mispelling. Well it could be labelled a brandable. But it's a huge stretch. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is this bit, further down on the post referenced above. States that all bids are final, no matter if additional discussions take place and are rejected.

"

Re: Auctions: Counter Offer to Buyer
In our auction on an offer / counter offer type listing the offers stand for 7 days regardless of counters received and can be accepted after a counter offer. We will work on making this more clear. Our auctions have always worked like this.
"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back