IT.COM

CPC on Google Keyword Tool

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just went to use the Google keyword tool today, and can't find how to display CPC values for keywords. I remember being able to set this under "columns" before but now I don't see the option to. Anybody know how to ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No longer available on the external tool - you need to be logged in to your account to get those numbers.

If you aren't logged in, you can still get estimated CPC on the traffic estimator - a little less straightforward though.

•••
Surprised me too the other day.

•••
thanks guys. It works after logging... Weird change..

•••
They were probably tired of people scraping it and using it out of context ...

•••
yeah just noticed - what a bummer

•••
I guess their aim is the same as with $75 coupon promo for new registrations - they just want more Adwords accounts to be created.

•••
It is the "Adwords Keyword Tool", not the "Free Keyword Tool That Google Provides Out of the Goodness of Their Hearts." No surprise that they would give a subset of features to Adwords users only.

Only costs $5 to open an Adwords account.

•••
Agree, that's nothing bad of them. And $5 is nothing if to compare with Wordtracker or other similar stuff prices.

•••
The CPC's are never accurate, that's one thing I know.

•••
The CPC's are never accurate, that's one thing I know.

1) First of all, they're estimates.
2) The exact amount an advertiser pays per click varies and is based on several things - this video explains it.
3) They're estimates for the search network (ads which show as result of a google search), not the content network (ads which are displayed through Adsense).
There's no way to trace a single keyword to a particular content network ad (advertisers supply a group of keywords and google tries to find pages which are a contextual match.)

So as an advertiser "your mileage may vary" and as a publisher you shouldn't assume CPC from the AKT is more than a general "high-medium-low" indicator.

But a lot of people don't "get" that, which may be why G. took the metric out of the public version.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back