IT.COM

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With the entries of Flurona and the IHU mutation .. omicron still has a decent path to run before it’s end … so we now have 3 active variants, God help us all if the Flurona variant mutates , because influenza mixed covid - 19 , if those two mutate and make a separate virus , I don’t even want to vision that

There are likely several more variants that have not even been discovered yet, or testing does not easily show.

Omicron variant is likely to have a R0 value as high or higher than any well known disease including measles, chickenpox, rubella, pertussis, polio, etc.

I didn't really envision a variant as contagious as this even being possible. Who knows what else is out there.
There could be something even more contagious, or something as contagious but with far worse symptoms.

I hope not.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are likely several more variants that have not even been discovered yet, or testing does not easily show.

Omicron variant is likely to have a R0 value higher than any well known disease including measles, chickenpox, rubella, pertussis, polio, etc.

I didn't really envision a variant as contagious as this even being possible. Who know what else is out there.
There could be something even more contagious, or something as contagious but with far worse symptoms.

I hope not.

Brad

Just my opinion , I think the ONLY way it can be controlled is by everyone wearing a mask , maybe more of the N95 type masks .. mask , wash and hope it goes away

•••
Just my opinion , I think the ONLY way it can be controlled is by everyone wearing a mask , maybe more of the N95 type masks .. mask , wash and hope it goes away

There is no magical fix. It is basically a layered approach that will help, which includes wearing a proper mask.

You also need to wear clean masks. Which means either cleaning them regularly or throwing them away.

If I am just outside I don't wear a mask. If I am inside, especially around people in public places I do. It is such a minor step to take to mitigate spread.

Brad

•••
There is no magical fix. It is basically a layered approach that will help, which includes wearing a proper mask.

You also need to wear clean masks. Which means either cleaning them regularly or throwing them away.

If I am just outside I don't wear a mask. If I am inside, especially around people in public places I do. It is such a minor step to take to mitigate spread.

Brad

I always throw a mask away if I accidentally contaminate it , but 3 hours wear is my limit and that mask is done and time for a new mask

•••
With the entries of Flurona and the IHU mutation .. omicron still has a decent path to run before it’s end … so we now have 3 active variants, God help us all if the Flurona variant mutates , because influenza mixed covid - 19 , if those two mutate and make a separate virus , I don’t even want to vision that
Flurona is not a variant. It's just when someone is infected by flu and covid-19 at the same time.

•••
It mutates from infection from one person to another and the ability to live .. the vaccine doesn’t stop infection .. nor does it kill the virus .. the vaccine doesn’t stop the spread nor mutation ..
Covid-19 mutates on unvaccinated people. Hence the importance to be vaccinated to stop this pandemic.
The vaccine stops infection much more in vaccinated people than in unvaccinated. And of course it kills the virus when it enters a vaccinated person, that's what vaccines do. They train your body and create an immune response, to detect and kill the virus when you are in contact with the virus in future.
Also, vaccinated people stops the spread much more than unvaccinated people, because unvaccinated people get infected for a longer period and get a much higher virus load in their bodies.
All these points very well said already by @bmugford

Last edited:
•••
Still to be seen if it has the spreading capacity to replace omicron. For the moment just 12 cases have been detected. Too early to worry about it, for the moment...
Sure, it is early. But unlike many/most of the variants that have sprouted, this one has a couple of special 'things' associated with it. See the quote from my original post below.
The strain carries the E484K and N501Y mutations, which can make it more resistant to vaccines and can make it more transmissible, according to a paper posted on medRxiv.

•••
With the mutation of covid - 19 , how is it even possible to vaxx it all ??
@bmugford gave a great answer above. It is likely a vaccine for covid (and many of the main variants) will be around for years to come and it will become much like the annual flu injections that are available.

Hopefully the mutations will continue to be less lethal and the need for a person to get the vaccine will wane as time goes on. Those will underlying conditions will probably need to take the covid vaccine when they get their annual flu vaccine for the foreseeable future.

After this surge we are beginning to experience, enough people should be exposed to the Omicron to give most of us antibodies whether vaccinated or not.

•••
Sure, it is early. But unlike many/most of the variants that have sprouted, this one has a couple of special 'things' associated with it. See the quote from my original post below.
Have you read the comments at the bottom of https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268174v1 ?
I agree with the one asking why that french hospital has called the virus IHU. It looks like they want to promote their hospital? Why that need of self promotion thanks to a virus?

"The disrespect of these French researchers for international efforts of genomic surveillance is astounding. GISAID explicitly requests that all providers of sequences analyzed be credited, and a collaboration is encouraged. None of this happened here.
And they dare name a variant based on a hospital acronym despite the Pango designation. Just mediocre and sad… Luckily other countries are more respectful."

And another one saying "N501Y and E484K signals high spread ability and original vaccine antibody evasion. But there were many variants like this and that couldn't beat Delta.".

I just say that it remains to be seen if this strain has the ability to spread like omicron.
By the way, the name of the virus, if it ends being a variant of concern or of interest, should be one of the greek alphabet given by the WHO, and not the name of the french hospital. Then delta should have been called the name of the Indian hospital that detected it, and omicron the name of the South African hospital that detected it.

•••
Have you read the comments
I just did...thanks for pointing it out to me. If it turns out it is a self promotion thing for the hospital, I will have to remove those associated with it and any outlet that 'shared' their story from the source database. It would be truly reprehensible if it was a promotion ploy.

Last edited:
•••
If it turns out it is a self promotion thing for the hospital
I don't doubt about the strain or virus variant. What is for sure is that the french hospital has not followed the right path and has called the virus with its hospital name "IHU Méditerranée Infection", and that's self promotion thanks to a virus.

Last edited:
•••

Return flight canceled for Quebec influencers at the party​

The air carrier Sunwing has decided to cancel the flight which was to bring back the hundred Quebecers who were partying without a mask on board one of its planes. What will be the penalties for revelers who decide to have a controversial party that took place at an altitude of over 30,000 feet? Transport Canada did not respond...

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2...-pour-les-influenceurs-quebecois-sur-le-party

•••

Italy extends COVID vaccine mandate to everyone over 50​

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...tory-over-50s-tighten-curbs-draft-2022-01-05/

"Italy on Wednesday made COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for people from the age of 50, one of very few European countries to take a similar steps, in an attempt to ease pressure on its health service and reduce fatalities.

The measure is immediately effective and will run until June 15.

Italy has registered more than 138,000 coronavirus deaths since its outbreak emerged in February 2020, the second highest toll in Europe after Britain.

Prime Minister Mario Draghi's government had already made vaccination mandatory for teachers and health workers, and since October last year all employees have had to be vaccinated or show a negative test before entering the workplace.

Refusal results in suspension from work without pay, but not dismissal.

"Today's measures aim to keep our hospitals functioning well and at the same time keep open schools and business activities," Draghi told the cabinet, according to his spokesperson.

Elsewhere in Europe, Austria has announced plans to make vaccination mandatory for those over 14 years old from next month, while in Greece it will be compulsory for over-60s from Jan 16. read more

Italy has seen an average of more than 150 deaths per day over the last two weeks, with 231 fatalities on Wednesday and 259 on Tuesday. The tally of 189,109 new infections on Wednesday was its highest since the start of the pandemic. read more

Around 74% of Italians have received at least two vaccination shots and 6% have had just one jab, according to Our World in Data. Some 35% have had a third "booster" shot."

Last edited:
•••
Well done Australia. Their country, their rules. No vaccine, no entry. Period.

Tennis star Djokovic denied entry into Australia, visa canceled amid vaccine exemption furor​

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/djokovic-australian-open-exemption-prompts-fury-rcna10990

“There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all. None whatsoever,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

"Australian authorities barred tennis star Novak Djokovic from entering the country, canceling his visa and likely keeping him from defending his Australian Open title, officials said.

Australians had been furious about news that Djokovic had been given “an exemption permission” to travel to play in the tournament amid a surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.

"The Australian Border Force will continue to ensure that those who arrive at our border comply with our laws and entry requirements," the agency announced.

"The ABF can confirm that Mr. Djokovic failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements to Australia, and his visa has been subsequently canceled."

The ABF added: "Noncitizens who do not hold a valid visa on entry or who have had their visa canceled will be detained and removed from Australia."

Last edited:
•••
Well done Australia. Their country, their rules. No vaccine, no entry. Period.

Tennis star Djokovic denied entry into Australia, visa canceled amid vaccine exemption furor​

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/djokovic-australian-open-exemption-prompts-fury-rcna10990

“There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all. None whatsoever,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

"Australian authorities barred tennis star Novak Djokovic from entering the country, canceling his visa and likely keeping him from defending his Australian Open title, officials said.

Australians had been furious about news that Djokovic had been given “an exemption permission” to travel to play in the tournament amid a surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.

"The Australian Border Force will continue to ensure that those who arrive at our border comply with our laws and entry requirements," the agency announced.

"The ABF can confirm that Mr. Djokovic failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements to Australia, and his visa has been subsequently canceled."

The ABF added: "Noncitizens who do not hold a valid visa on entry or who have had their visa canceled will be detained and removed from Australia."
Their borders. Their rules.

Australian prime minister Scott Morrison rejected the harassment suggestion on Thursday, saying: “Australia has sovereign borders and clear rules that are non-discriminatory as so many countries do … it has to do with the fair and reasonable application of Australia’s border protection laws … all I can say is that the evidence medical exemption that was provided was found to be insufficient.”

Last edited:
•••
told ya.. they gonna.
make new variants forever

next round corner b162

something like that

reminds me of that pic caricature I saw

arm of a man destroyed by vax holes...with 2021.
etc labels by each hole

sums her up good.imo

oh yea..France just approved strict passport only measures.. for basically any social.activity... if u are antisocial hermit u wont even blink from these changes if.u aren't...u will be seriously peed off

•••
I posted something on this a bit ago. Maybe a way out of this, for those willing to vaccinate?

US Army testing universal coronavirus vaccine against all variants​

"US Army scientists are leading a project aimed at developing a universal coronavirus vaccine that can provide protection against all SARS-CoV-2 variants. New studies are reporting successful preclinical results and Phase 2 human trials are set to begin."

"As scientists around the world received the first genomic sequences of SARS-CoV-2 in early 2020 many began to work on developing an all-important vaccine. A team from the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) decided to tackle the problem from a different angle. Instead of racing to produce a specific, targeted SARS-CoV-2 vaccine the researchers chose to play a longer game and investigate a more broadly protective vaccine that could produce immune responses against all kinds of coronaviruses, including any specific variants that may arise."

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbei...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-885f0a8011-90628689

Last edited:
•••
I posted something on this a bit ago. Maybe a way out of this, for those willing to vaccinate?

US Army testing universal coronavirus vaccine against all variants​

"US Army scientists are leading a project aimed at developing a universal coronavirus vaccine that can provide protection against all SARS-CoV-2 variants. New studies are reporting successful preclinical results and Phase 2 human trials are set to begin."

"As scientists around the world received the first genomic sequences of SARS-CoV-2 in early 2020 many began to work on developing an all-important vaccine. A team from the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) decided to tackle the problem from a different angle. Instead of racing to produce a specific, targeted SARS-CoV-2 vaccine the researchers chose to play a longer game and investigate a more broadly protective vaccine that could produce immune responses against all kinds of coronaviruses, including any specific variants that may arise."

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbei...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-885f0a8011-90628689
It sounds promising. If it passes Phase 2 and 3 in human trials it would be an amazing improvement to fight against covid-19 and its future variants.

Last edited:
•••
It sounds promising. If it passes Phase 2 and 3 in human trials it would be an amazing improvement to fight against covid-19 and its future variants.

If it does work, I think it could be considered a good example of 'designing a way forward while leaving the cause of a problem in place' - which I think is where a lot of problems besides covid are now at when it comes to solving them.

"We may need to solve problems not by removing the cause but by designing the way forward even if the cause remains in place." Edward de Bono.

Last edited:
•••

SARS-CoV-2 infection in free-ranging white-tailed deer​

Humans have infected a wide range of animals with SARS-CoV-2 viruses1–5, but the establishment of a new natural animal reservoir has not been observed. Here, we document that free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) are highly susceptible to infection with SARS-CoV-2 virus, are exposed to a range of viral diversity from humans, and are capable of sustaining transmission in nature. SARS-CoV-2 virus was detected by rRT-PCR in more than one-third (129/360, 35.8%) of nasal swabs obtained from Odocoileus virginianus in northeast Ohio (USA) during January-March 2021.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04353-x

The peer-reviewed results show showed deer to deer transmission, as well as at least six so-called “spillover” events where deer caught the virus from us.

“That's the question we've scratching our heads on, because like I said, it didn't happen once. It happened at least six times. And probably more than that. The question is, how's that happening?” said Dr. Bowman. “We certainly could have people contaminating the environment that deer living in, whether that's contaminated wastewater, trash, feeding stations. It's really unclear how would happen.”

While there’s no evidence yet of deer to human transmission, it’s possible. And that could complicate the path out of the pandemic. “Any animal host becomes infected and they're able to maintain it, that changes SARS-CoV-2, right? Forever…If we don't continue to look at the animals, we may have variants arising in animal populations that then threaten human health,” said Bowman.

“To me, it's another fascinating question of who's giving what to whom,” he added. “We just have to remember, we're not the only species living in this environment. We're sharing not only the landscape, but our pathogens move between species as well.”

These findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 viruses have the capacity to transmit in wildlife, potentially opening new pathways for evolution.

Hunters, or others in close contact with deer, might consider masking, or using other PPE until we understand the risk better. The USDA says properly handled and cooked venison should be safe to eat.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-connection-humans-deer/

•••
Yet more local stats, which all show the same trends...you are way less likely to be hospitalized or die if you are vaccinated. You are also less likely to even get the virus if you are vaccinated.

AZ Health Officials: Unvaccinated More Than 31 Times Likely To Die of COVID-19​

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRan...-more-than-31-times-likely-to-die-of-covid-19

A new report released by state health officials found that unvaccinated Arizonans are 31 times more likely to die of COVID-19 and nearly five times more likely to test positive for the virus than their unvaccinated counterparts.

“This is a big change from October, when the unvaccinated were 15.2 times more likely to die from COVID-19 and 3.9 times more likely to get the disease,” Arizona Department of Health Services Director Don Harrington said in a blog post about the report.

Last edited:
•••
The expense of the tickets for this event are beyond acceptable for me so this is something I wont have to worry about. But I wonder how those that have purchased tickets feel about the possible relocation.

Clay Travis: NFL is facing a major problem by having Los Angeles host Super Bowl LVI​

The NFL appears to have a backup plan if COVID restrictions ruin an LA Super Bowl

Big business is moving out of California as COVID restrictions stymie a return to normalcy within the Blue state.

With the Super Bowl just weeks away and scheduled to be played at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA, the NFL is keeping a second venue on standby in the great state of Texas — where COVID restrictions don’t impact one’s livelihood or business, unlike Los Angeles.

more...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/clay-travis-nfl-problem-los-angeles-super-bowl-lvi

•••

True number of Covid deaths in the US probably undercounted, experts say​

The true number of deaths from the Covid pandemic in the US is probably being undercounted, due to the long-lasting and little-understood effects of Covid infection and other deadly complications that surged during the past two years.

“We are seeing right now the highest death rates we have ever seen in the history of this business,” J Scott Davison, CEO of insurance company OneAmerica, told journalists on 30 December.

“Death rates are up 40% over what they were pre-pandemic,” he said, among working-age people between 18 and 64. Deaths among older Americans have also increased, with one in 100 Americans over the age of 65 dying.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...r-covid-deaths-us-likely-undercounted-experts

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 8:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 5,499,416
United States: 858,346
Brazil: 619,878
India: 483,463
Russia: 315,400
United Kingdom: 149,744
France: 125,206
Italy: 138,697
Spain: 89,934
Mexico: 300,101
Poland: 99,720
South Africa: 92,252
Indonesia: 144,127
Netherlands: 21,065
Canada: 30,668
Chile: 39,232
Belgium: 28,459
Philippines: 52,135
Japan : 18,400
Bolivia: 19,888
Australia: 2,344
Peru: 202,981

•••
IMG_20220108_091656_409.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back