Dynadot

Could cpanel be outdated?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just paid for hosting with Justhost.com

They gave me login details, but when I tried to login, I found that the cpanel they provide lacks the functionality.

First the cpanel does not seem to load fully. I use my university network, and we have light speed internet, never an issue with loading webpages. However in this cpanel many icons simply do not load, there are white spaces and broken picture signs.

Secondly, it is not possible to rearrange the sections of the cpanel i.e. to move them up and down. Neither it is possible to collapse/expand the sections. Whenever I try to do either, my mouse cursor just selects text.

But most importantly, I cannot work with the Justhost.com cpanel at all because whenever I click on something there, it immediately throws me back to the login page. Any icon, and link on the cpanel homepage, and I am thrown out.

One thing I noticed, is that Justhost.com cpanel is "cPanel, Inc. 2006-2008". I checked with another host company which I use, and they are using "cPanel, Inc. 2009". With this other host company, I have no issues at all using the cpanel (with my other domain name).

The browsers which I tried to access Justhost.com cpanel are google chrome for linux and firefox for linux. Could it be the case that "cPanel, Inc. 2006-2008" does not work in these browsers, because it is outdated?

Many thanks for any suggestions, it has been really frustrating experience with Justhost support so far. They do reply and quite promptly, but their suggestions so far has been useless.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From what I understand, they use a customized version of cPanel. Have you brought the issues you mentioned to their attention?

•••
Yes, and so far they are going in circles, its like nothing that I can do to explain them why I am having the problem. Their answer is: we have checked and we do not have the problem at our end. What can you say to this.:(

And the thing is, I would have even believed them they are so persuasive; but for the fact that I have a hosting account with another provider (tsohost.co.uk), and when I login to their cpanel everything is working as it should, on cpanel 2009. Therefore I know that it is not me, but Justhost.com so far are unable to suggest a solution, and they haven't commented on the fact that their cpanel is 2008. I am still waiting for the email from the support, but I am losing hope at this point.

•••
Yes, I think they use an old Cpanel version on their server. There's many Cpanel version out there. Nothing you can do except ask the hosting service to repair this. If they won't repair, better if you move to another better hosting company.. :(

•••
On the left in your account see if you can see something like

cPanel Version 11.28.87

•••
If you got version 11, you got the latest cpanel.

•••
Maybe you should pay for cPanel usage.. Some hosts require extra money for cPanel within their hosting plans.

•••
Yea. There's a lot of version of cPanel.
However, do note that cPanel has a lot of addons and the functionality you're looking might be addons which not all hosting provider will have as they cost more (most of the time).

There's some stats on the left, you might want to expand the stats to see the cPanel Version there.
Latest version for now is 11.28.

•••
From what I see in my control panel, Justhost is using cPanel Version 11.26.20. (You can see it if you expand the Stats menu.)

It may be that for whatever reason, the pages don't load completely for you, or maybe Java is not working properly on the computer you're using.

•••
I would go with Hostgator VPS, then you can be sure to have an up to date and not customized cPanel theme. More power too.

•••
Have you tried contacting JustHost about this? I'm sure that they can help you better than anyone on these forums

•••
Cheers guys, it seems it is sorted. I'm still experiencing these problems at my home pc, but I have tried to access the cpanel from one of my university computers, where the OS is Windows, and it worked properly as it should.

I'm still not sure what is the reason for my home pc problems, but it seems it is narrowed down to either (1) because here the OS is linux (and so the browsers which i use to access the cpanel may not do it in the same way as windows browsers? but then I can work with cpanel of my other domain fine), or (2) while at home I'm on the same internet network as the university, perhaps there are some additional proxy restrictions apply which do not apply to the main site, and which cripple the use of JustHost cpanel? (need to contact our it admin about this, perhaps JustHost IP is restricted to some extent or else)

At least it works on some computers, so I can access the domain from there and operate it this way for now, so all is good. As I said in the beginning JustHost support were always very prompt to reply, it just got frustrating at some point because there didn't seem to be a solution, and the problem is strange.

Last edited:
•••
do you happen to run Firefox with noscript at home?

•••
I only have two browsers, Google chrome and Iceweasel (which is open source Firefox). I don't seem to have any restrictions on either, on Chrome there is Flash blocker, but I tried to unblock for the JustHost cpanel but it still didn't make a difference. Then also my other domain name with UK hosting provider, their cpanel works fine when I access it from my home pc from the same browsers.

It is probably the reason (2) that is the culprit here, somehow affecting JustHost cpanel. I'm not sure whether it is possible through proxy to restrict the script functionality? Because I can access JustHost cpanel, and login which means that the port is not blocked. But could it be restricted in this way, so that scripts are not working? (While at the same time everything is working with my other hosting provider?) Hurts my head:)

•••
It depends on the compatibility of the OS.

•••
I only have two browsers, Google chrome and Iceweasel (which is open source Firefox).

I've accessed cPanel on different servers many times from CentOS Linux using the GUI and Firefox. I haven't had those problems. It might be the university's network filters. If it's not an IP filter than it could be due to cPanel's (or JustHost's) use of uncommon ports which a lot of networks block by default. There is one thing that makes me think the issue might be on your computer, which is the menus not expanding, collapsing or moving when you try to shift them around. That sounds more like a client-side issue than something a server would cause.

•••
WEll am using justhost hosting services and i have different feelings then you, their cpenal is up to date, yes they do lack in customer support some time otherwise i have pretty good experience with their cpenal.

•••
I don;t think anyone would be using an old outdated version of cPanel/WHM. This would be stupid thing to do. Why paying for software licenses if you are not taking advantage of the latest releases?

•••
I don;t think anyone would be using an old outdated version of cPanel/WHM. This would be stupid thing to do. Why paying for software licenses if you are not taking advantage of the latest releases?

cPanel updates itself daily by default, anyway. If it doesn't, then it's just a matter of running this command from the shell:

Code:
/scripts/upcp

Doesn't take much to update it.

•••
Vectro, you cannot update cpanel on shared accounts and if the host is smart, they have auto updates disabled like most hosts do.

Running automatic updates on cpanel is the worst decision you can make. Thousands of servers recent went offline because cpanel updated named.conf and corrupted it. My server was one of them. I always have it disabled in WHM, but they snuck a cron job in there too that I had to delete.

The stinking updates always occur when you are in bed it seems, so you do not find out about the issues until you ahve been down for many many hours.

•••
Vectro, you cannot update cpanel on shared accounts and if the host is smart, they have auto updates disabled like most hosts do.

I meant if JustHost really wanted to update it, it wouldn't take much for them (if the version is the actual issue).

Running automatic updates on cpanel is the worst decision you can make. Thousands of servers recent went offline ... My server was one of them ...

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I suppose I've just had a better experience with it. I've been running automatic cPanel updates for years without major problems.

The stinking updates always occur when you are in bed it seems, so you do not find out about the issues until you ahve been down for many many hours.

The cron time can be changed to a time when you're usually working if you ever decide to enable updates again.

•••
just reading this headline gave me a nervous start. i miss cpanel but some of those worrys I do not misssss

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back