Dynadot

news Corona virus effect on Domain industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What kind of impact will the Corona Virus have on the domain industry?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Aftermarket domain sales quantities will decline

votes
    24.4%
  • Aftermarket domain prices will decline

votes
    13.3%
  • Aftermarket sales quantities will increase

votes
    6.7%
  • Aftermarket domain prices will increase

votes
    4.4%
  • no impact

votes
    51.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Marco Alvarez

Established Member
Impact
I feel there will be an impact myself being that many experts say this will have many unforeseen repercussions for the economy . Some of them are still hard to predict. Would love to hear others thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The thought occurred to me that several weeks most people were not that many people were interested in buying face masks for flu / virus protection. If so, they would like have paid a few dollars for one at a local pharmacy. Now they are much more difficult to find as the demand has risen sharply. A pharmacy could raise the price and they would still sell out.

Now imagine outbound marketing to a low-level employee a domain you hope to sell for $xxxx. Compare the likely result to waiiting for the buyer who wants your domain.

•••
While there is no doubt that there are, and will be, significant economic impact - from the loss of work hours, cancelled travel, meetings put on hold, business related trips cancelled or delayed, loss of schooling, diversion of resources from other projects, etc., I don't think there will be a significant impact on domain investing. A few major decisions may be delayed, so there is a possibility of a slight slowdown.
Bob

•••
This will only accelerate e-commerce, and new technology based virtual meeting type ideas etc... video conferencing etc..

•••
This will only accelerate e-commerce, and new technology based virtual meeting type ideas etc... video conferencing etc..
Now that is being positive and seeing opportunity.

•••
Lets also cut through the panic and put it into perspective. As of yesterday 300 people had died from this virus. Worldwide last year 11,000 people died from influenza.

I am in no way wishing to diminish the seriousness of this virus but it is sad in today's world that anybody has to die from something that probably could be preventable with better controls and improved hygiene and working practices.

The thing that saddened me the most was seeing domain investors rushing to register domain names related to the virus. No doubt wishing to profit from others suffering and misery.

I hope they are proud of themselves.

Long-live-humility.com

•••
I’m sure there will be an impact on the world economy, but I don’t think it will have much of an effect the domain market. It’s a tragedy for sure. To put it in perspective, 25 million people are infected with the flu each year in the US alone.

•••
Lets also cut through the panic and put it into perspective. As of yesterday 300 people had died from this virus. Worldwide last year 11,000 people died from influenza.

I am in no way wishing to diminish the seriousness of this virus but it is sad in today's world that anybody has to die from something that probably could be preventable with better controls and improved hygiene and working practices.

The thing that saddened me the most was seeing domain investors rushing to register domain names related to the virus. No doubt wishing to profit from others suffering and misery.

I hope they are proud of themselves.

Long-live-humility.com

true but... regardless of current numbers or influenza comparaisons.... if to fight this thing they are building new hospitals in record times, shutting down mega cities.. closing borders.. delcaring world emergency.. etc... then for most its hard not to panic or just compare it to influenza...

Last edited:
•••
I think the effect on the domain market will be roughly the same as the risk of getting infected with Corona virus if you buy a domain from a Chinese seller

•••
only because they will be home sick and in front of their computers did I put sales up. lol. :)

•••
I don’t feel their will be any impact in the domain name industry, the troubling thing with “Corona” , from what I read today it is not a Flu, it is an independent virus with ties to the common cold, so provided we don’t get a world pandemic with very large numbers per country, I think most everything should be ok across the board.

•••
I don't think it will have much impact on Domain investment compared to other business which involves physical goods being transported from china as in case of DropsShipping.
But, because of its affects on Drop-shipping some domains which are related to Ecommerce products may slow down a bit.

•••
My thoughts are diet and hygiene control the spread. Everyone that dies from any respiratory illness would be a statistic towards it also. If your neighbours are dropping dead your in an apocalypse and world is ending. Good news you could be ready for the new world order and harvest domains by climbing over the zombie corpses at icann.

Last edited:
•••
Wash your hands with hot water and soap, after handling domains from dubious sources.

•••
cover your mouth coughing or sneezing, wash hands, if you feel sick buy surgical mask and wear them. How hard is this people. geesh.

•••
Definitely negative impact.

Domain aftermarket is a serious investment decision for most companies. Those decisions are on hold when economies are expected to go down.

Also, China is big part of domain trade and they certainly are not buying right now.

•••
The virus itself aside, China's lockdown to battle the outbreak will have a HUGE impact on many global businesses that rely on parts for manufacturing. Companies outside of China are already running out of China-made components, meaning their production will stop. A global slow down is pretty much guaranteed and it will impact all aspects of the business, including ours.

•••
These were my thoughts exactly. I feel like we still don't know that magnitude of what we are dealing with and this is so new that we can only speculate. I feel like depending on how bad it gets it can at least have a temporary effect or maybe reduce sales in certain niches of domains. I feel overall optimistic but I do feel it will at least have some effect weather good or bad or maybe neither good or bad just something new. Maybe we will see more made in America brands popping up

•••
•••
Sooner or later, crypto currencies and digital businesses will overtake everything because everyone will soon stay at home and work remotely. Domain businesses continue.

•••
I believe there may be a decline in end-user acquisitions for the next year due to the possible and likely recession. For example, a local business who already has a domain name may not be interested in spending a weeks worth of wages of an employee on acquiring a better domain. It's simply not a priority. Whether the same will be true for the higher value acquisitions I'm not sure, but I would guess they will also drop off as companies look to improve balance sheets. In terms of investors I doubt there will be a significant decline in volume. Overall I think prices (on average) will be lower in the coming year due to an economic downturn.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back