Dynadot

opinion .com vs .net vs .org valuation correlation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Southtexas81

Established Member
Impact
If a .com domain name was sold at $100k what would be the value of the .net and .org of the exact matching name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The NameNinja chart suggests as a very general rule 5 to 20% the price of the .com for a .net (and I presume .org). That sounds about right to me, but agree with excellent points made by @Jeff_Libert and @Ategy.com earlier in this thread. If a sort of unique word has already sold in .com, any subsequent sale in .net or .org is going to be tough.

If it is a very generic word it may well sell in other extensions later if a clear case for a use that has nothing to do with the .com so no TM issues.

I think the .org in certain situations will be worth more than the .com. For example, let's say I run a divest movement wanting to urge people not to invest in global businesses. I am definitely not going to promote it with a .com, but may well with a .org. Many other philanthropic, environmental and social justice organizations will pass up the .com for an .org (or sometimes .net, or even some of the ngTLDs). So there are at least a few cases where the .org is worth more than the .com.

Bob

•••
"gold nuggets" - The fact that you think they're "gold nuggets" - yet your post suggests these domains were readily available for registration in the last 2-3 years - suggests that your gold is probably a form of pyrite, not Au = real gold.

Further, that you should choose the identity "iDestroyer", while that very domain is now pointed to HugeD's, suggests that you might want to rethink your entire domaining strategy. I don't mean to be mean or too pointed, but I do mean to aid you in assessing your skill set . . and possibly saving your from a strategy that is destined to be a source of disappointment.

"listed on all the major marketplaces" - One of the saddest misunderstanding of domain names that I've come across during the last ~15 years is the idea that "a marketplace listing sells the domain". Marketplaces, such as Sedo - where millions of domains are listed - are going to report sales based on the sheer volume of listed domains. However, that does NOT mean that a Sedo listing is what motivated or excited the buyer to buy a given domain. Sure - IF you point your domain to Sedo - that's a willing seller signal. However, you can do the exact same thing yourself - without a middle man. (I don't have my domains listed anywhere and never have had them listed "for sale" . . and, yes, many are parked but, again, they are not priced nor set up by my choice or design to appear "as if listed for sale".)

I've said it for years: domains sell themselves. IF you happen to have had the good fortune to register a domain that someone else is eager to acquire THEN all you need do is a) be accessible (via WhoIs, WhoIs history, landing page, public listing of your domains on your site, etc); and, b) reach a meeting of minds about a price.

OTOH, IF you have the good fortune to register a desirable domain BUT the misfortune of not appreciating the domain's value, THEN a marketplace may well work . . for the benefit of the smarter domainer cherry picking mispriced domains. I will admit to doing that - cherry picking improvidently priced domains - "back in the day". I could still engage in that practice but choose to devote my time and attention elsewhere.

•••
Here's a simple intelligence test or reality check: Post the domain, which by now - at the quite cheap cost of registration (compared to when I started) - you should have registered and claimed given your belief in its value.

Either show your genius or humble yourself, and if so humbled, join in the laughter as EVERYONE gets it wrong, some of us 100s if not 1000s of times. ;) (Ever hear of a "zine". Man . . if I only got ahead of the curve and, instead, went for keyword+"blog". lol Ouch! Fortunately or fabulously luckily I sold 1 - yes 1 - keyword+zine domain, to a VERY large entity - and that covered most if not all of my loss. Sigh . . arrghh)

•••
If .com is 6 figure name, then % works most of the time.

.org would be worth 2% to 10% of .com value in most cases, depending on how well the word matches the extension.

For example help.org could be 1/10 while cruise.org could be 1/50 or less.

•••
Actually the .com is sometimes not the most valuable. cdn.net sold for $185,000 in march 2012. Estibot currently values cdn.net at $190,000 and cdn.com at only $45,000.

If Estibot has access to sales information, then that data is included in their valuation. In this case it obviously saw the sale of cdn.net for $185k and is assuming it's worth at least that much to the current owner.

The NameNinja chart suggests as a very general rule 5 to 20% the price of the .com for a .net (and I presume .org).

I am by no means an expert, and have never sold a .net (I don't have many though). but from being a part of the forums, reading blogs and listening to the various podcasts out there, I would think that 20% is a very high and unusual amount in 2018.

That being said .. the real factor is sellability .. unless the domain is extremely strong or has monstrously large stats, .net domains simply don't sell at anything even close to a fraction of what .com's do .. not just in price .. but in volume .. it's the compounded effect of those two factors together that domainers really must consider when investing in .net's.

Domainers need to ask .. is this .net a worth while investment, considering I might only have a 0.5% chance of selling this for 5% of the .com? There certainly are some cases where the answer is yes .. but the answer is no far more often than not.

•••
If you aren't going to be selling the domain, then you are an end-user buyer. Which has nothing to do with if you were to buy it as a domainer. This is a domaining forum, so all the advice you got was in the case you were looking to buy the domain with intent to resell at a profit.

If you're actually going to build out the domain into a website and business, then the value of the domain is whatever amount you feel the domain will save you in other marketing costs to bring you your desired traffic.

Here too it definitely depends on the specific domain/niche .. and it's still essentially impossible to give you a percentage without knowing the exact domain ...

On top of that .. you don't even know what the baseline is .. because even if you had a percentage, it would be wrong to use that percentage on the $600k you mentioned above. The .com is only worth $600k if it actually sells for $600k .. the fact it is listed at $600k means absolutely nothing at all. Depending on the niche, if the domain does indeed make sense in .net and there are no other alternative rewordings in .com, then it could mean you'd be more likely to sell (because the .com isn't realistically available), but you are still totally blind if you're looking for a comparative relative (%) price.

So .. lol .. at the end of the day .. again .. any general advice here is pretty useless without knowing the exact domain ...

I'll post the name tomorrow

•••
Thanks @Jurgen Wolf

You gave a good source...it might be outdated but it is talking with some research and stats...

•••
If .com is 6 figure name, then % works most of the time.

.org would be worth 2% to 10% of .com value in most cases, depending on how well the word matches the extension.

For example help.org could be 1/10 while cruise.org could be 1/50 or less.

And sometimes, the .org may be on par or even exceed the .com value. For example, consider the use case of civilrights.org vs civilrights.com. A civil rights domain makes less sense in .com as opposed to .org and no organisation worth its salt will run such a movement on anything short of a .org

However, in some other situation, the .org might just have zero value no matter how much the .com sells.

As a personal preference, I prefer .org to .net. In my opinion, the only time I see myself registering a .net is if I already own the .com

Last edited:
•••
My post was specifically about a subset of 6 figure names, please pay attention.

That is what OP referred to.

In that scenario, .org will have a value always and almost 100% of times .com will be more valuable.

•••
My post was specifically about a subset of 6 figure names, please pay attention.

That is what OP referred to.

In that scenario, .org will have a value always and almost 100% of times .com will be more valuable.
I'm not contesting what you said. I am agreeing with you and adding further scenarios that may pan out in the .com vs .org comparison

•••
Namepros system wont let me post the .org name you guys requested. They claim its spam. I dont know what that's about.

Last edited:
•••
BINARYOPTIONS.ORG is the name that I was referring too and if yall are interested I may sell it. PM me.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back