Dynadot

discuss .Co registry RESERVING pending delete domain names for themselves?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
For the past few days, I have been observing that .Co registry has been reserving many of the pending delete domain names for themselves.

For ex: The domain names listed below were supposed to drop yesterday and become available for hand registration. Now, if you check the whois, it's showing as RESERVED.

Some Examples
  • HaveFun.co
  • SpaceLabs.co
  • Eits.co
  • Wast.co
  • Adrienne.co
upload_2018-7-15_12-9-41.png

I can understand if premium .co domain names like Idea.co, Talent.co are getting reserved by the registry. However, in these cases, even mediocre domain names are getting reserved for the past few days.

Some Examples (These are just a few examples. There are many more domain names which are getting reserved)
  • Locatelli.co
  • SoulFire.co
  • Bergamo.co
  • Wova.co
  • Wiku.co
  • Furmanite.co
  • Nxstage.co
  • OnlineIncome.co
  • PureBliss.co
  • TraderOnline.co
Have any of you observed the same thing?
Is this ethical?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wikipedia is not a 'source'. Please show us something from ICANN or Ministry of Communications of Colombia that explains what was in Neustar's contract when they acquired the tld. That is pure journalism. Linking to non-source data is not helpful.

"...Ministry of Communications of Colombia initiated a public consultation process involving local and international participants, including members of the ICANN community, with the objective of defining the future of the .CO TLD..."

Above is probably the most important part of the wiki link. I highly doubt "The Future" was a ccTLD.

Bro...it's a CCTLD Do you understand? All two letter TLDs are CCTLDs.

•••
It may be a strategy to prevent Chinese from registering "CHIP" in bulk. In China.co recently made a promotion in the major registrars "8 CNY=1.1 USD first year registration.

•••
noticed less qualty expiring io and co

lately...

•••
Bro...it's a CCTLD Do you understand? All two letter TLDs are CCTLDs.

Do you not understand the point of the "Ethics" and "Democracy" discussion that entered the conversation with CA as an example? Yes it's a ccTLD as designated by IANA. Here is the factual link from the source which you failed to pass into the conversation.

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db

That means nothing in regards to what was agreed in the acquisition contract of 2014. Just saying its a ccTLD means nothing to how they are legally obligated to operate.

Last edited:
•••
Do you not understand the point of the "Ethics" and "Democracy" discussion that entered the conversation with CA as an example? Yes it's a ccTLD as designated by IANA. Here is the factual linkf from the source which you failed to pass into the conversation.

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db

That means nothing in regards to what was agreed in the acquisition contract of 2014. Just saying its a ccTLD means nothing to how they are legally obligated to operate.

CCTLD---->Legally required to operate as a CCTLD. What's the point of even speculating about an acquisition contract? You have know clue what the terms were.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Few names that were supposed to drop yesterday..But now it's RESERVED:xf.wink:

Sexz.co
BrainLab.co
Kudzu.co
Sabt.co
Smite.co
Itsmagic.co
Ariix.co
Tuno.co
Wording.co
Babymama.co
SocialBook.co

•••
@equity78 has also covered this topic.

https://www.thedomains.com/2018/07/16/is-co-starting-to-hold-back-mediocre-domain-names/

Some very interesting comments

@domains says

JULY 16, 2018 AT 5:34 PM

.co is one of the more often used extensions when the .com isn’t available, and has many of the top sales spots on the 2018 country code sales chart (e.g.: feed.co, cbd.co, nurture.co, rival.co). I see what you’re saying, the examples of names you gave that are not obviously great but being held back. The .co registry must be seeing something in registration patterns or trends. Perhaps they are automatically holding some back for review and will end up releasing some, and keeping some. Ones like HaveFun.co, SpaceLabs.co and PureBliss.co are not premiums, but at the same time I could see a company using them. Part of it might be about having an inventory of names that can possibly sell for higher than reg fee. In a market where new G’s might be starting to weaken, perhaps extensions like .co and .io are transforming into the runners up to .com, at least for some users.

xyo says

JULY 16, 2018 AT 5:38 PM

Actually not only domains that should have dropped have been reserved, but also domains that were free before.
Namely all 4L domains, just check brsw.co or qzta.co for example. This happen between 07/10 and 07/11

Most Interesting Domains says

JULY 16, 2018 AT 10:15 PM

They are starting to see the value in names and making them more expensive. – But in a squatter kinda way.

On this list of .co’s: A famous person’s last name, a great name for an already existing yoga studio, names of corporations, LLLL’s and more established .com equivalents.

My question is, Is it an algorithm or bot doing it? Or are they hiring people to suggest it’s new sale value?
– Most Interesting Domains

•••
Hope we can answer as to why? ...... Curious

•••
Maybe they are reserved for the big buy back fee after 90 days?

•••
CCTLD---->Legally required to operate as a CCTLD. What's the point of even speculating about an acquisition contract? You have know clue what the terms were.

I'm sorry but what you are saying is false and misleading.

All of the 2014 acquisition posts discuss .CO as an Open ccTLD which was contracted with the Government of Colombia and presumably approved by all parties involved. The technical backend 'specs' say cctld but in practice it is not. You have accused them of doing something wrong.

So if you wish to say .CO must 'act like' .CA and has broken some standard rule that .CA follows, then, you must provide a link to the rule that was broken and how .CO is bound by that rule. Otherwise you are just repeating the same thing over and over which doesn't make it true.

Reserving domain names is allowed per their website.

•••
I tried to register some 4l.co all I can see its reserved. I still own 3 llll.co name which are near to expiry.

•••
.co registry is following Donuts's route? Don't complain then when people start loosing interest in your extension.

•••
I tried to register some 4l.co all I can see its reserved. I still own 3 llll.co name which are near to expiry.

Yeah...For the past few days/weeks, they are reserving almost all of the CVCV.co domain names. I have not checked other 4L.co's (Chips, etc)

•••
Yeah...For the past few days/weeks, they are reserving almost all of the CVCV.co domain names. I have not checked other 4L.co's (Chips, etc)
I just checked random, Wuus.co reserved, wuue.co reserved. Payn.co reserved.

I own wuun, payq, payl all are going to expiry this week.

•••
my 4L.co watch list also gone "reserved"

•••
It is as if when a company become richer, its assets value increased tremendously, then the company will try to Buy Back its own shares from the general public holdings. Is it any indication that dot CO is becoming popular nowadays or expected to become popular in near future? Or is the dot CO registry creating an artificial demands for its names by holding most of the popular expired names?

•••
As per the namebio 4l.co sale report. There were 314 llll.co got sold with total value of $1.3 million.

https://namebio.com/?s==QjN4QjNwgTM

Now, if I am going to compere this with .io here is .io 4l reported sales from Namebio.

418 Total LLLL.io sales, total value of this sales is only $684.5k

https://namebio.com/?s==kDNwUjNwgTM

Over all I can see an pronounceable or cvcv or cvvc .co are performing better then .io, .in etc.

LLLL.co slightly behind to .co.uk which has total value of reported LLLL.co.uk is $1.6m

https://namebio.com/?s==IjN5QjNwgTM

Last edited:
•••
send me please .co reserved names i will post it on Platinums.co

•••
Let the registry play alone.

•••
•••
Tier pricing for a cctld? Good luck.

•••
I was told by "The .Co Team" by email that on September 1, 2018 there was going to be a tier pricing update. That is why they are reserving domain names as they drop, for example. No change in pricing for current customers.

Please move this discussion to the .co official thread here
https://www.namepros.com/threads/co...es-report-thread.573976/page-492#post-6822221
That’s a ridiculous excuse to warehouse domains for max profit. Is @Lori Anne still with .co?

•••
That’s a ridiculous excuse to warehouse domains for max profit. Is @Lori Anne still with .co?

She is at Neustar, who acquired them. Not sure if that's her day to day. She is VP of Registry Solutions.

•••
If anyone has contacts with tld VPs please explain to them that this industry needs transparent pricing and policies in print on each tld website. XYZ for example has a pricing page though it still leaves questions. Hiding this info is not a good idea.

Off the top of my head a MSRP should be clearly identified for each tier. Also the top Q&A scenarios must be layed out:

• If i sell/transfer the domain to a new owner does the pricing reset?
  • If I drop the domain does the pricing reset?
  • Can I continue to renew the domain name for 100 years at the current price?
  • Is there a set limit for annual price increases, 4%, 10%, etc?
  • Is there an appeals process for rent increases?
Website operators need to know what their rent is going to be long term. And we need to be able to shop around. Imagine you built a site for 10 years then your rent goes up 200% with no appeals process in place. Am I the only one thinking this?

Here is the xyz pricing as it is today:
https://gen.xyz/pricing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back