IT.COM

Clarification on a first drop catch

NameSilo
Watch

Markly

Impact
Hi all,

First time drop catcher here. From reading the forums it's my understanding that I should place a backorder with NameJet, SnapNames and DropCatch to maximise my chances of success. Some of the threads I've been reading are pretty old so I just wanted to clarify the following before placing the orders:

1. Now that NameJet and SnapNames are partners and use the same systems is it still worth placing a backorder on both sites? And doing so isn't going to put me in an auction against myself is it?

2. The domain I want expired in October (PublicDomainRegistry.com registrar) but isn't showing up on the DropCatcher search. Their 'How It Works' page says: 'To start the process, select a domain in the Pending Delete stage'. Is there a way to figure out when this pending delete stage begins, given that the grace period varies from registrar to registrar, or is it just a case of checking back every day?

Thanks B-)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Yes, it's convenient for you to put the backorder only a single platform between NameJet and SnapNames to avoid auction against yourself.
2. Pending Delete status occurs usually around after 45 days (for a .com domain) from the expiration date but it's more comfortable to check DropCatch every 4 days

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for taking the time to reply (y)

Namejet have a minimum bid of $69 and SnapNames is $79. Does this have anything to do with the quality of their service i.e. does SnapNames have a better chance of getting the domain? Or is the price difference arbitrary?

•••
Back orders in Snapnames are private while those in Namejet are Public. (listen to DNW podcast # 364)

•••
@comRaid I listened to the podcast and as a result found that the domain was already live on a GoDaddy auction. I wouldn't have checked GoDaddy had it not been for your post, so thanks a lot.

Any tips (or podcast recommendations) when it comes to a GoDaddy auction?

•••
Answer to my own question above = DNW podcast # 365 :xf.smile:

Thanks again @evil and @comRaid

•••
Back