NameSilo

.info City / County .infos

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

Phronesis

Established Member
Impact
48
Opinions on city.infos or county.infos? I've noticed most of them (even small ones) are registered.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I think they are both good. City .infos are a nobrainer. If you can find an unregistered one take it.
 
0
•••
Yeah, I just stumbled onto one. Looks like it dropped last year. Popular NC beach town.
 
0
•••
Phronesis said:
Opinions on city.infos or county.infos? I've noticed most of them (even small ones) are registered.

Generally, I like their potential IMHO ... in the case of "City" .INFO's much would - of course - depend on the specifics of the respective cities (population, perceived desire/demand for the domain name / website, development possibilities with respect to its demographics, tourism and/or city/government information potential, perhaps geographic size, urban hub vs. rural main street, and so forth). :gl:
As informational "Guide" types of sites, or even for use with respect to SE's it's a good match, in my view. Lean toward registering these types of domains, have specific ideas for development at the time of registration, and, as always, be wise with your domain (including ".INFO") investments.
All the best!
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
Most city/ and probably all country .info's are worth picking up IMHO. With the small countries, even they will ultimately generate some traffic. With the cities, you obviously want the larger ones that have some sort of value in large populations and especially tourism destinations.
 
0
•••
SwampFox said:
Most city/ and probably all country .info's are worth picking up IMHO. With the small countries, even they will ultimately generate some traffic.

He was asking about city and COUNTY .info's, not country. I think even a newbie would know that country .info's are valuable.
 
0
•••
Localised advertising is a growth industry. Probably good to take.
 
0
•••
Country.infos are also good to register, just like a province or state .info makes sense so do county infos :)
 
0
•••

I think the domain names will increase in value in time.

I only have one ( phillippines.info ) But, I am selling it now as I am filtering
my portfolio to .com's only. (Auction here on NamePros)

 
0
•••
It seems that since many city names are duplicated in various states (US) that there would be multiple interested parties. This may be true with counties as well. But given that (from what I've seen) 95% of city.infos and probably 100% of county .infos are taken, nabbing nearly any is a good idea (though like Jeff said, if the city is really a podunk town, it may not be worth it).

Now the question is, which is more valuable, US city.info or .us??
 
0
•••
khuldun said:
Country.infos are also good to register, just like a province or state .info makes sense so do county infos :)
All country names are reserved by the registry for official use by the respective countries.
 
0
•••
For clarification, I was asking about county .infos - not country. I'd be surprised if there were any country.infos unregged. All state (and probably all county) .infos are regged.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
IMO, .info is the most versatile TLD out there in that it fits well with more subjects/topics than any other....still, there're categories for which its even more suitable and geo domains happen to be one of these...I also happen to feel/believe that from a (logical/intuitive) usability standpoint there are some areas for which .info is even better than almighty .com; e.g. Diabetes.com vs. Diabetes.info.
 
0
•••
He was asking about city and COUNTY .info's, not country. I think even a newbie would know that country .info's are valuable.

Easy mistake to make, sheesh.

Since we're talking about COUNTY domains, I'd say not very valuable at all in the grand scheme. You may have some luck with some of the more popular ones (tourist destinations again and such) but I don't really see a big demand for them for any other reason than a local information site which probably means they really aren't willing to fork over the big bucks. At least here in SC, most counties have their own .gov address already.
 
0
•••
I own quite a few regional / city .info's and find they allow you to target advertising specifically when developing.. if you are also local to the domain in question, you can make an excellent local portal, even if it's just a blog. Local ads can help pay your way.
 
0
•••
They are the sort of domains that somebody will come looking for in the future.

Local Search is growing.

I have even long names such as ChineseRestaurantLosAngeles.com and they have a consistent overture of 15,000 + a month.
 
0
•••
SwampFox said:
Easy mistake to make, sheesh.

Since we're talking about COUNTY domains, I'd say not very valuable at all in the grand scheme. You may have some luck with some of the more popular ones (tourist destinations again and such) but I don't really see a big demand for them for any other reason than a local information site which probably means they really aren't willing to fork over the big bucks. At least here in SC, most counties have their own .gov address already.


Sorry, didn't mean for that to be interpreted as screaming.

I don't see the value in the city/county domains in cybersquatting - holding them hostage against a municipality, but more for the value of the .info tld as dgridley explained. I have found some city .infos available in some places where real estate prices are only now really heating up because they have been overlooked and the population is growing exponentially. Also found one beach community where the name had been dropped. It seems like a great way to monetize search traffic as people are looking for city info.
 
0
•••
I don't really see city/county domains as cybersquatting.

The average town name whether in the US, Uk, Australia, Canada, Spain or Brazil, generally shares its name with countless other Cities, Towns and Villages all over the globe.
 
0
•••
It wasn't in response to you Phro. I hold a couple local .us names that are of some of those up-and-coming real estate hotspots. I think city domains are the way to go, I'm just not quite impressed enough about county domains unless you can come away with a larger one.
 
0
•••
SwampFox said:
Easy mistake to make, sheesh.

No need for the "sheesh". Yes, I know it is an easy mistake to make. I wasn't criticizing you; just pointing out that you misread it, so that you and anyone else can give a proper response to what he was actually asking... which you since did. Don't be so sensistive dude. :)
 
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back