domain cia.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Thruster

Impact
i get inquiries every day but they are all over the place

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What’s the highest offer you received so far?

•••
that is really nice Name, i won't sell it less then million for sure.....

•••
•••
I can't even imagine what your inbox looks like, a daily sh*t show, a tougher sell than it looks like for obvious reasons.

$7M seems fair why didn't you take it?

•••
Congrats you got really good name in your pocket !! (y)

•••
Yes. Lots from the tin foil hat crowd.

I didn’t sell it because I generated a lot more in revenue from it at the time. Easy to market.

•••
Yes. Lots from the tin foil hat crowd.

I didn’t sell it because I generated a lot more in revenue from it at the time. Easy to market.

I would say you would need to be earning about $800K a year to turn down a $7M offer.

•••
$7M rev / 500k net when the offer was made. Grew to $16M.

•••
are u like the original owner?

•••
Yes. Original owner

Last edited:
•••
Quote from CIA.com, "High-traffic domain for sale $750,000.00 USD"

Explain...

•••
Keep it. Why sell? domains like these will only go up in value. Keep it in the family and pass it down through generations....

•••
With the offers I put up a shingle. But don’t actively try to sell it

•••
Yes. Original owner

Original owner since 1994?

Have you ever listed the domain for sale? Or leased the domain?

I noticed the WHOIS changed from Distributel Communications Limited [Ontario] to Cybersurf Corp [Alberta] sometime in 2015/2016.

Last edited:
•••
Original owner since 1994

•••
Quote from CIA.com, "High-traffic domain for sale $750,000.00 USD"

Explain...

What is there to explain? Are you wondering why they are willing to sell for $750k when they once had a $7mil offer?

OP said the highest recent offer was $350k. Which is still substantially less than their $750k landing page asking price.

Last edited:
•••
You could probably make nice commission sales with a political gift shop on there at this point.

url

Last edited:
•••
DomainTools historical screenshots show:

2017: This domain is for sale ($750k ask)
2016: Rdeca group related (maybe a redirect)
2015: Domain is for sale - contact Rdeca group
2013: Distributel
2008: Cybersurf Internet Access [CIA.com]

i get inquiries every day but they are all over the place

Thanks

@Thruster -- I'm not sure how familiar you are with NamePros, but some members do their due diligence when new members join the forum, and ask for appraisals and/or try to sell high value domains. CIA.com is obviously a high value domain, and to the point of a question already asked, explain why you are asking only $750k, as some members [who follow sales and trends] might think that is an under valued ask. Though, it should be mentioned that most members can't afford, or have never spent six figures on a domain, so these appraisals are more so coming from market speculators, and not necessarily buyers. ie A lot of people want to own CIA.com, but how many are willing, and able to pay $1million? And how do you present the domain to somebody who is willing to pay that much.

I try to stay away from giving monetary appraisal. I think it's a great domain, as I think most would concur, but since most don't trade in 6/7 figure domains, true appraisal value is generally more speculative, than relative. Here are all the LLL sales reported over $800k [mind you most sales are private and/or have NDA so this is public samplesize. some reported sales may not have completed ie fake]

upload_2018-1-3_23-26-23.png

You might have already received some offers from NP members, and those sending you offers, will want to have some kind of trust that you represent the domain, and they are not buying a stolen domain / and or are getting scammed. Hence, my comment about the domain WHOIS changing in 2015/2016. According to the current landing page, offers are sent to Sean M. of Rdecagroup.com [2015 WHOIS registration date]. According to Sean M LinkedIn page [President and CCO of Rdeca] he was VP of communications of Cybersurf Technologies.

My question(s):

1) Is RDECA the domain owner, or are they simply authorized to sell the domain in perhaps a broker agreement? WHOIS shows Paul M. of Cybersurf as the owner. As stated per LinkedIn profile, Sean, is a former VP of Cybersurf.

2)
Who are you? Are you: Sean, and/or a representative of RDECA? Paul, and/or a representative of Cybersurf? A co-broker? Or...?

Last edited:
•••
I think he's saying that the offers like $7M were specious...from the "tin foil hat crowd."

•••
Yes. Original owner

What's the story behind registering of such a domain? Have you been on the right place in the right time? Have you had some privileges to get this domain first? Have you had a good job at the time? Was people skeptical about domains in 1994? No one else knew about domain names? How can someone register such a valuable domain? Thanks

•••
Grilled. Thanks for your comments.

I am the owner outright. Sean is a friend of mine and for now I have him managing it. An email to him would verify that. He suggested $750k because quite frankly we both have no idea what it’s worth. That’s why I’m here. Trying to get feedback. Especially now with this crypto currency domain thing going on.

I’m not desperate to sell it. I still use the domain for my email address. It has done very well for me. I will probably use it again for business/sales.

Xynames. The $7M offer and other 7 figure offers I’ve received in the past were legit. My comment about the tinfoil hat crowd was I get those as well. People applying to be spies, conspiracy theorists and people who need to wash their fruit.

•••
Grilled. Thanks for your comments.

I am the owner outright. Sean is a friend of mine and for now I have him managing it. An email to him would verify that. He suggested $750k because quite frankly we both have no idea what it’s worth. That’s why I’m here. Trying to get feedback. Especially now with this crypto currency domain thing going on.

I’m not desperate to sell it. I still use the domain for my email address. It has done very well for me. I will probably use it again for business/sales.

Thanks for the response, and welcome to NamePros!

Respectfully, and considering you are not desperate to sell, I would recommend you raise your asking price. Though $750k is a serious figure, that may be closer to reseller value in today's rising and speculatory market. Reseller value meaning the best price you can get for it now via other domainers and/or no reserve auction - fee's. I don't think this domain should be offered for sale less than 7-figures, unless you are in a hurry to sell.

But with that said, consider the source. My NP creation date is 2015, and though I think I know a lot about domains, I am still learning every day. Tomorrow, I might learn something that others have known for years, and that's why experience matters in the industry of selling domains. I'm not saying that you, or Sean, can't sell it yourself, as I think you can, but you might want to consider a broker with buyer contacts, or enlist the help of NamePros to guide you through the selling process.

ie (1) You need to list this domain for sale on all the major marketplaces with either a buy now, or make offer price. (2) Market the domain for sale. ie The reason why you list with all marketplaces (Afternic, Sedo, ETC) is to let as many people as possible know that the domain is for sale. Domainers can help spread the word quick, brokers can try to solicit real offers from past buyers, and/or other resellers willing to take a speculative gamble.

If you or Sean have any domain related questions, feel free to send me a direct message, and I'll be happy to help / research.

Note: I am not a broker, so you may be more interested in contacting a more experienced domainer, or broker such as @Ali of StarFireHoldings.com or @strong of EverGreen.com. disclaimer: I have not done brokerage business with starfire holdings, nor am I affiliated with them. I am recommending them because I am of the opinion @Ali and co are hard workers, and they may have some helpful industry contacts. I have not done business with Evergreen.com, nor am I affiliated with them. I am recommending them because @strong is affiliated with NameBio (source of previous sales screenshot), and they may also have some helpful industry contacts. There are many decent brokers to chose from, and it can get shark like. Be weary, and understand some industry awards have about as much meaning as the worlds best coffee sign from the movie elf. Trust your instinct.

Best of luck!
Chris

Last edited:
•••
I'd try HA.com and speak to Aron.

•••
Am I the only one considering the domain being Cia actually reduces the domain value?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back