IT.COM

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Kassey Lee thanks for your explanations and your time, it is very helpful have a Chinese POV for our domains.
Can I kindly ask you what do you think about my domain CHU dot one.
As you mentioned new extensions are not so strong in China, but what do you think for the keyword CHU?
The dot com version is developed and a lot of extenions taken.
Thanks.

•••
@Kassey Lee We own Wkii.com we know it has USA value but any China value in this short name? As always thank you for the insight. Wkii.com

•••
@Kassey Lee We own Wkii.com we know it has USA value but any China value in this short name? As always thank you for the insight. Wkii.com
Since it has four letters and "i" is not a Pinyin letter, it's application is not easy for end users. However, for those who are willing to think outside the box, wkii is nonetheless an interesting name. If I were a startup CEO, this is how I would turn it into a funky brand.

wkii =>
Publishing business: 文库爱爱 (implying love for reading) 文库=storehouse of books. 爱爱=love love
Food business: 碗筷爱爱 (implying love for food) 碗筷=bowl and chopstick. 爱爱=love love

Last edited:
•••
Since it has four letters and "i" is not a Pinyin letter, it's application is not easy for end users. However, for those who are willing to think outside the box, wkii is nonetheless an interesting name. If I were a startup CEO, this is how I would turn it into a funky brand.

wkii =>
Publishing business: 文库爱爱 (implying love for reading) 文库=storehouse of books. 爱爱=love love
Food business: 碗筷爱爱 (implying love for food) 碗筷=bowl and chopstick. 爱爱=love love
Thank you!!!

•••
Last edited:
•••
My latest story on the Chinese domain market has been published on Domain Name Wire:

Is .com still king in China? How important is .cn? Is there any other extension worth watching in China? These are questions many domain investors may have in their minds. To answer these questions, I turn to the annual publication “China Statistical Report on Internet Development,” the latest of which was released last month. More

•••
My latest story on the Chinese domain market has been published on Domain Name Wire:

Is .com still king in China? How important is .cn? Is there any other extension worth watching in China? These are questions many domain investors may have in their minds. To answer these questions, I turn to the annual publication “China Statistical Report on Internet Development,” the latest of which was released last month. More
Thought this was pertinent noted on Linkedin:
"$1 Trillion Fund Manager Ranks Tencent, Alibaba Most Important" My thoughts were will a more open China centric competition change this in the future as the state sees Baidu as a behemoth cash cow that creates new opportunities ? Or will China plc continue protecting both black & white queens ?
This was posted by Chhe6Media com. I look forward to the “China Statistical Report on Internet Development,”

•••
SHCOMP.cn
PinYin.ws
PekingChina.cn
28002.cn
60670.cn

•••
A 2-pin domain is better than NN domain.

A Chinese real estate company was using 98.com to match its brand 98 Fang Chan Wang (98 房产网) but recently rebranded to Zhao Fang Wang (找房网) and changed its domain to matching Zhaofang.com.

The reason, I guess, is that 98 does not project any image in the minds of consumers, as compared to Zhaofang which means house hunting.

•••
The reason, I guess, is that 98 does not project any image in the minds of consumers, as compared to Zhaofang which means house hunting.
However, once outside China, Zhaofang.com is much more difficult to pronounce and remember than 98.com.

•••
However, once outside China, Zhaofang.com is much more difficult to pronounce and remember than 98.com.
I am guessing that global Chinese expat communities would be huge ? although (again) guessing the Indian (Hindi) expat communities would be the largest ? Both retain cultural heritage / dual linguistics 98 com IMO is great if there is no 95 96 97 99. On the global community action I noted Hainan has state permission to start sports lotteries perhaps the time is right to sell caipiaoyouxi.com ?

•••
A 2-pin domain is better than NN domain.

A Chinese real estate company was using 98.com to match its brand 98 Fang Chan Wang (98 房产网) but recently rebranded to Zhao Fang Wang (找房网) and changed its domain to matching Zhaofang.com.

Maybe there's future hope that Hallmark or American Greetings will buy our 3 pin Shengrika.com ( and .cn ) in the future - we're very patient.

•••
Noted this tweet & comment: thought it was interesting
Ref: Huawei is releasing BTC.com’s bitcoin wallet "While China has shut down cryptocurrency trading platforms and initial coin offerings, people can still own virtual currencies" IMO Bodes well for CryptoAnquan CryptoSuo CryptoHuobi The development of CyberSuo/CyberAnquan will be crucial as D-Wave hits the beaches.......

•••
Quite interesting about Toys R Us domain/s action: What will the value of “Wanju” be Kassey Lee ? I personally do not have a clue but guessing it will be significant in the long tale?
https://domaininvesting.com/court-documents-toys-com-to-be-sold-again/#comment-920463
Copied from the comments:
"What will Toys.com sell for this time round with Chinese deep pockets in the mix? Will Alibaba Amazon take the bait? The two most populated countries with huge expat communities China centric cognitive generic “Wanju” = Toys.
Pan India centric cognitive generic “Khilaune” = Toys National pride will play its part"

•••
Quite interesting about Toys R Us domain/s action: What will the value of “Wanju” be Kassey Lee ? I personally do not have a clue but guessing it will be significant in the long tale?
https://domaininvesting.com/court-documents-toys-com-to-be-sold-again/#comment-920463
Copied from the comments:
"What will Toys.com sell for this time round with Chinese deep pockets in the mix? Will Alibaba Amazon take the bait? The two most populated countries with huge expat communities China centric cognitive generic “Wanju” = Toys.
Pan India centric cognitive generic “Khilaune” = Toys National pride will play its part"

Dam it got up in the early hours to check on "Sex Wanju com" and OMG it was reg earlier That was a gem dam it !!

•••
Toys.com is globally recognized so anyone including those in China wants it.

•••
Toys.com is globally recognized so anyone including those in China wants it.
Agree with and fully appreciate that Toys com is an international (scale) generic Kassey. However my question / inquiry is what in your opinion (guesstimate) would the value of the China centric “Wanju”com be? I cannot even hazard a guess but if pushed with China's population & expats my guess would be $700m - $1.3m what say you?
It would seem that the media is killing all credibility in the Toys R Us brand although the Asia buyout are supposedly keeping the brand name. IMO a mistake.

•••
2-pin names are very popular and I grew up knowing most brand names in 2-pin. A similar 2-pin name YouXi.com (game) was sold for $2.43m in 2014. WanJu.com was reported by Chinese news to be put on the market for sale last year but there's no news on whether it was sold. You can make your own guess.

•••
2-pin names are very popular and I grew up knowing most brand names in 2-pin. A similar 2-pin name YouXi.com (game) was sold for $2.43m in 2014. WanJu.com was reported by Chinese news to be put on the market for sale last year but there's no news on whether it was sold. You can make your own guess.
Hmm My guess is as Alibaba seemingly own WanJu com and are waiting for the auction of Toys to play out before making a development move. The future will be about a natural mix of cognitive generic pinyin & latin (remembering your Crypto - Cyber comment "do they use them") linguistics with brands logo/s (short) characters 八8 com 八88 com 八888 think Nike swoosh think (八8) lucky : )
Ref you can make your own guess I did whats yours?

Last edited:
•••
@Kasseylee being trying to reach you through pm but it seems its disabled

What do you think about 4letter keyword with prefix like Ctrip.com etc

I have a Z +4letter keyword that have suddenly started getting two hits every month from china since around march 2018(monday,tuesdays). Do these kind of name sells in china? And what do you think generally? Thanks

•••
@Kassey Lee

How big is the AI conversation in mainland China at the moment.

I've seen at least 5 Chinese owned self-driving car startups most recent Roadstar.ai

2x Multi-billion dollar business parks being built to home new AI companies

Onamae.com recently added .ai to their registrar - my question is do you see this extension being used via main-stream media outlets in mainland china?

Have you seen or come across the extension in public i.e advertised on a building or car

AI Name.png

The government recently made learning AI mandatory in a school curriculum.

China's stance from my western perspective is China is all-in on AI. They're betting everything but the kitchen sink it seems on this technological evolution and want to be #1
5dfdb640-487b-4fb2-8d18-431ae8a58497_0.jpg

Last edited:
•••
@Kasseylee being trying to reach you through pm but it seems its disabled

I have a Z +4letter keyword that have suddenly started getting two hits every month from china since around march 2018(monday,tuesdays). Do these kind of name sells in china? And what do you think generally? Thanks
@Kassey Lee , will love to know your thought on this, thanks.

•••
How big is the AI conversation in mainland China at the moment.

I've seen at least 5 Chinese owned self-driving car startups most recent Roadstar.ai

2x Multi-billion dollar business parks being built to home new AI companies

Onamae.com recently added .ai to their registrar - my question is do you see this extension being used via main-stream media outlets in mainland china?
AI defines the future of China. According to the AI scientist turned VC Kai-fu Lee, among the top 100 AI experts, 80 are Americans and only two are Chinese. But, China is catching up fast by leveraging its strength: national AI policy to turn China into world-class AI hub by 2030, massive data favorable for deep learning in AI, thriving AI startup and VC communities. Listen to the interview with Dr. Lee at a recent NY Times conference for his view on AI in China.

BTW, Onamae.com is a Japanese registrar and Japan is still sleeping at the wheel of the domain world. Even .shop registry spends more time promoting this extension in China than in Japan.

•••
The ripple effect is working its way. I consider short, meaningful .com domains (say up to 6 characters) valuable. As single-word .com domains become so expensive, a single word plus a letter-prefix such as "x" and "z" become viable, or a single word plus a 1-digit number as suffix, etc. will be valuable. I'm being patient to wait for the tide to come in.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back