Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello, what is your opinion on numerics that start with 800 in a 6n?

•••
I don't understand, if L means all 26 letters, and any of those 26 letters can be initials, then what is the distinction between L and l?

•••
In an article celebrating the 10th anniversary of eName, there's one future plan of the company that attracted my attention.
易名也正在朝互联网金融的大环境迈进,将于近期合作推出域名抵押贷款的P2P平台。
Roughly translated: eName is now entering the financial sector of the Internet, and will be launching a P2P-based domain lending service in the near future.

Once lending becomes widely available to domain investors, just image how many folds the domain market size will become! Leverage and speculation go hand in hand.

Source: news.ename.cn

•••
Domain investor Hang Shu(nickname?) announced his collection of a pair of similar 3L .com: QBB.com and QDD.com each bought recently at high 6 figures RMB.

Both domain names follow the ABB type.

QBB:钱爸爸>The dad with a lot of money
QBB:趣宝宝>Fun baby
QDD:钱多多>Lots of money

QBB.net is a live site selling a line of baby products such as air-filtering machine.

It looks like a trend is developing in China where domain names are bought as collector's items and buyers have no plan at all to develop websites. It's likely domain investors will be competing with end users and paying end user prices.

•••
Below are some main points mentioned in an interview with Fadi Chehade when he was in China last month.

• Chehade had a meeting with Jack Ma of Alibaba and he said, "我非常期待在将来与他的合作" (I very much look forward to working with him[Ma] in the future.)
  • China was the most visited country for Chehade last year, apart from his visit to LA (US). The cooperation center set up in Beijing serves as a model for ICANN to set up similar partnership in other regions in the world. ICANN may set up more cooperation centers in China in the future.
  • He thinks China understands that the Internet is a global resource and does not want to separate China from the rest of the world. Alibaba's 1111 sales event last month had participation from more than 200 countries, proving China wants to be part of the world.

Here are some questions: While China will not cut itself off from the world, will it exert great influence over ICANN's direction and future policy? Also, will Chehade work for Alibaba?

Source: www.taiwan.cn

•••
@Brandingtheweb.com Sorry I don't know. I'm not a domain expert. But, there are many on this forum who appear to be experts, so you may want to ask them.

•••
•••
At an event celebrating eName's 10th anniversary, its editor interviewed three top domain investors.

Jun Jie NIU thinks domain names have a financial attribute, which gives great potential in the future. [I think he's talking about treating domain names as financial assets.]

Jun LIU likes to collect domain names starting with XM (Xiamen city), as well names with the pattern Number+Game.com.

Guo Liang HONG(George of Guta.com) likes to collect .com, .cc, and .in. He wanted to invest in .cn but did not have the opportunity because of the Chinese government policy. George is a collector and seldom trades. [With George's excellent relationship with the top guys at eName, I think he'll be of great help in resolving issues of stolen domain names.]

•••
When used in the first half of llll Which is more desirable bj or cn ?
Ex: bjll.com or cnll.com.

•••
you can disregard that last question

•••
When used in the first half of llll Which is more desirable bj or cn ?
Ex: bjll.com or cnll.com.
You may want to disregard this question, but I have a similar that I am curious about...
What is more desirable, cnNN or cnLL (prefix of cn meaning China)?

•••
Market Watch Transaction Date: 2015.12.07

Numerics
3N3,000,000 (=)58,888 (=)11,888 (=)40,000 (=)
4N128,888 (=)5,388 (=)999 (v)3,333 (v)
5N4,700 (v)179 (v)61 (=)499 (v)
6N97 (v)55 (^)60 (=)130 (=)
[th][td]com[/td][td]net[/td][td]org[/td][td]cc[/td][/th]
Numerics w/o 04
3N3,500,000 (=)148,888 (=)27,888 (=)125,678 (=)
4N368,000 (=)14,888 (=)3,000 (^)15,000 (=)
5N24,398 (^)1,500 (=)305 (^)2,400 (v)
6N1,100 (v)102 (v)62 (v)798 (v)
Initials, Letters, and Characters
3I999,999 (=)28,888 (v)18,888 (=)17,666 (=)
3L388,888 (=)15,988 (=)8,888 (=)3,588 (=)
3C6,666 (=)266 (v)68 (=)200 (=)
4I13,500 (^)1,476 (v)155 (^)600 (=)
4L2,128 (v)99 (^)76 (^)220 (=)
Currency: RMB
Prices: Highest BIN prices of day
Symbols: ^ increase, v decrease, = no change (or no sales?) over previous day
C=L+N. I =Initials
Source: Chaomi.cc

•••
Domain investor Mango(nickname) recently bought DLCX.com, DLJK.com, and HBKB.com. Two of them use geo prefix.

DLCX:大连车协网>Dalian car association
DLJK:大连驾考网>Dalian driving test net

He owns SZTB.com and recently also sold GZXG.com. 4I domain names using the following big four city name prefixes can sell at around 20k RMB.

BJ:北京>Beijing
SH:上海>Shanghai
GZ:广州>Guangzhou
SZ:深圳>ShenZhen

•••
Will the best companies in China go for English names? That's the trend that I speculate after reading this little comment in the article.

许多国内企业为了扩展其在海外的知名度,获取更加广阔的市场,也开始使用英文域名。
Roughly translated: Many Chinese corporations have started using English domain names in order to raise their profile overseas and expand their markets.

Examples quoted are 宝宝巴士(BabyBus.com), 封面传媒(TheCover.cn), 小熊尼奥(NeoBear.com), and 打令科技(Darling.cn). These domain names have nothing whatsoever to do with Pinyin words. Purely English.

•••
Are domain names beginning with "0" bad?

Webmaster Xiao Ming does not think so, because he even sold his Audi in order to pay for the 180k RMB purchase of 0556.cn. 0556 is a zipcode for Anqing City, Anhui Province.

•••
now he rides the domain? B-) poor Xiao Ming

•••
At the opening ceremony of perhaps China's first domain investment college, several veteran investors shared their experience with the audience.

George Hong points out that the largest domain market is in China, and two main keywords in domain purchase are large city names and short numerics.

Yong Dong XIE believes Pinyin words and short numerics are popular in China.

Liang Ji ZHUANG thinks that many domain names are bought because they look beautiful. Buying domain names is not for the purpose of selling, but more as a way to show that "my domain name is better than your domain name."

Source: xj.people.com.cn

•••
At the eName 10th Anniversary event, 58.com CEO Jin Bo YAO shared his unique views on domaining.

Yao believes the Chinese market is very large. A domain name can sell at a much higher price in China than the US because the Internet population in China is four times that of the US. Also, Chinese are willing to pay a lot for a good mobile phone number or license plate number.

Here's the best part I like.

“而且域名还可以抵押,流通性非常好,不用像房子过户那么麻烦,域名刚刚起步,以后圈子会越来越大
Roughly translated: Domain name can be used as collateral in borrowing. It's very liquid, with no tedious process such as in home ownership transfer. We are still in the early stage of domaining, and the market will become bigger and bigger in the future.

Source: finance.jrj.com.cn

•••
After selling 942.com, domain investor Ji Ye ZHUANG recently acquired 74.net and 41.net for a total of 1m RMB.

74.net
74:骑士>Horse rider
74:奇石>Strange stone
74:棋士>Chess player
74:奇事>Strange event

This domain name can be used to build animation, equestrian sports, jade products, games, news, or video sites.

41.net
41:四妖>Four witches
41:司仪>Master of ceremonies

This domain name can be used to build games, animation, or master of ceremonies sites.

2N .net domain names are selling well. Last month, an end user reportedly paid 1m RMB for 96.net.

•••
Domain investor Hao Nan CHEN just sold 7o.com for more than 500k RMB. Look at it carefully. It's not 70. It's number 7 followed by the alphabet "o". The buyer wanted a name that's short and easy to remember.

It looks like 2C has its place in the market. Last month, Chen sold another 2C domain name, 7y.com, for 1.6m RMB.

•••
4366.com has gone live as a gaming platform. This site is part of a gaming portfolio owned by YY Games which includes 5253.com.

There are also quite a few gaming platforms from other developers building on numeric domain names, such as 4399.com and 3366.com

These domain names are short, easy to remember, and easy to enter into the browser. The market for numeric domain name has good potential in the future.

•••
Domain investor Jun PAN just acquired KNN.com for 500k RMB.

KNN belongs to the ABB type names. It's short, easy to remember, and easy to enter into the browser. This domain name has value both as investment or utility. Pan thinks 3I .com names sell in the range of 420k to 450k RMB, and those containing z/w or of AAB/ABB/ABA pattern are more expensive.

Earlier, Pan sold 73.com for 10m RMB.

•••
(Quote) ... those containing z/w ... (/Quote)

I have noticed a preference for "W" in the last place, said to mean "Website", haven't noticed anything about "Z", although I hear it can mean "China".

•••
So, if I am reading right, a company is going to build a P2P site where domain owners can rent their domains to end users. That company will be the middle man and probably take its percentage. Does that seem right? If so, I'll happily rent my domains out on their site if I can make some money. Makes me realize why the domain rush. Owners will be getting monthly income.

•••
So, if I am reading right, a company is going to build a P2P site where domain owners can rent their domains to end users. That company will be the middle man and probably take its percentage. Does that seem right? If so, I'll happily rent my domains out on their site if I can make some money. Makes me realize why the domain rush. Owners will be getting monthly income.
If I just gave someone the idea to create a business on what I just said, please send me some royalty (percentage of profits / shares in the company). :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back