Dynadot

China's Internet Censorship - How will it impact on Domain Sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Hey Folks

Just came across this today...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-china-censoring-internet-20160523-story.html
It has introduced new rules restricting foreign companies from publishing online content and proposed tighter rules requiring websites to register domain names with the government.

Apple was an early victim, announcing in April that its iTunes Movies and iBooks services were no longer available in China, six months after their launch here (though shortly after it announced a $1 billion investment in a Chinese car service).

As it pursues a broad crackdown on free speech and civil society, China has tightened the screws on virtual private network (VPN) providers that allow people to tunnel under the Firewall.

What do you guys think...what sort of impact could this have on Domain sales?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
they are stupid, CCP worry about the rights ,they lie to everybody!

•••
•••
It's a good reason not to make yourself too depend upon the Chinese market.

•••
Sure, don't depend on any one market, but certainly don't ignore markets that have huge potential and a lot of weight (good example: the middle kingdom)

Last edited:
•••
It's a good reason not to make yourself too depend upon the Chinese market.

As we have discussed earlier, diversity is key and it depends on your investment philosophy, the amount you are investing, connections in China, etc.

It isn't good to depend on anything by itself but it also isn't good to avoid investments based on the sole fact that it's risky ('Risk Aversion'). That is where a Risk vs. Reward ratio would come into play and it is a major reason why I disagree with you and @JB Lions so much.

•••
Sure, don't depend on any one market, but certainly don't ignore markets that have huge potential and a lot of weight (good example: the middle kingdom)

I agree with you. Sometime higher risks equate to larger returns.

•••
•••
As we have discussed earlier, diversity is key and it depends on your investment philosophy, the amount you are investing, connections in China, etc.

It isn't good to depend on anything by itself but it also isn't good to avoid investments based on the sole fact that it's risky ('Risk Aversion'). That is where a Risk vs. Reward ratio would come into play and it is a major reason why I disagree with you and @JB Lions so much.

You're going all in with a penny extension. And last time we talked you had 0 domain sales in your life, so how is that disagreeing so much working out? Being diversified in crap isn't a good business model. That's up to you if you want to change and start making good business decisions.

•••
You're going all in with a penny extension. And last time we talked you had 0 domain sales in your life, so how is that disagreeing so much working out? Being diversified in crap isn't a good business model. That's up to you if you want to change and start making good business decisions.

It is working out well. I will show you the websites I build once they are published. In the Philippines most reputable businesses use .com.ph and .ph and millenials (Generations X, Y and Z) just won a Presidential election by using social media.

ItsMoreFunInDavaoCity.com is my main project. I will develop DavaoCity.xyz next and I will build 20 to 30 niche sites, all in support of my main project through cross marketing and promotions.

I also purchased domains for Manila and Cebu, the other top 2 cities in the Philippines. The new President was Mayor of the Davao City for 20+ years so trust me, I am in good shape. If there isn't a market for .xyz domain names in the Philippines, I will create one. That's the good thing about new GTLDs targeting emerging markets. .COM doesn't yet have a monopoly.

•••
It is working out well. I will show you the websites I build once they are published. In the Philippines most reputable businesses use .com.ph and .ph and millenials (Generations X, Y and Z) just won a Presidential election by using social media.

ItsMoreFunInDavaoCity.com is my main project. I will develop DavaoCity.xyz next and I will build 20 to 30 niche sites, all in support of my main project through cross marketing and promotions.

I also purchased domains for Manila and Cebu, the other top 2 cities in the Philippines. The new President was Mayor of the Davao City for 20+ years so trust me, I am in good shape. If there isn't a market for .xyz domain names in the Philippines, I will create one. That's the good thing about new GTLDs targeting emerging markets. .COM doesn't yet have a monopoly.

If you sold 0, it is not working out well. If you can't even be honest with yourself, what's the point. Developing is another story. You can develop on anything. Yet, even with that it's "once they are published".

"If there isn't a market for .xyz domain names in the Philippines, I will create one."

You're going to create one all by yourself? You're always talking in the future.

How much are you making a month with your main project? And how are you making that money?

•••
If you sold 0, it is not working out well. If you can't even be honest with yourself, what's the point. Developing is another story. You can develop on anything. Yet, even with that it's "once they are published".

But once I make a good amount of money through selling, development or both, it will "be working out" just fine and in reality, it was working out just fine since the getgo. You just didn't have the audacity or vision to see it or do it yourself.

Check: ItsMoreFunInDavaoCity.com

It's published and all the content is original (text, photos, videos). I will produce many more websites like it under .xyz. I am an end-user.

•••
But once I make a good amount of money through selling, development or both, it will "be working out" just fine and in reality, it was working out just fine since the getgo. You just didn't have the audacity or vision to see it or do it yourself.

Check: ItsMoreFunInDavaoCity.com

It's published and all the content is original (text, photos, videos). I will produce many more websites like it under .xyz. I am an end-user.

You skipped my main question. How much do you make a month with that site. I only see the hotel link via Agoda.

•••
In the Philippines most reputable businesses use .com.ph and .ph and millenials (Generations X, Y and Z) just won a Presidential election by using social media.

Generations X, Y and Z? It's sad to see that some have been brainwashed by XYZ advertising.

Better turn that Negari Channel off for a while.

I If there isn't a market for .xyz domain names in the Philippines, I will create one. That's the good thing about new GTLDs targeting emerging markets. .COM doesn't yet have a monopoly.

Where .com doesn't have a monopoly it is usually the cctld being dominant. With .XYZ you can't compete against this extension either. Your country extension is simply a much stronger brand than any new generic for obvious reasons. People identify as being part of a nation and not as being an 'XYZ individual'. Whatever that means.

•••
Generations X, Y and Z? It's sad to see that some have been brainwashed by XYZ advertising.

Better turn that Negari Channel off for a while.

Where .com doesn't have a monopoly it is usually the cctld being dominant. With .XYZ you can't compete against this extension either. Your country extension is simply a much stronger brand than any new generic for obvious reasons. People identify as being part of a nation and not as being an 'XYZ individual'. Whatever that means.

I am considered a millenial and the phrase "Generations X, Y & Z" isn't limited to Daniel Negari.

It is the standard phrase used to describe the current generations after the "Baby Boomers".

- Check for yourself and Google the phrase "Generations X, Y and Z"

- What is the first result you get?

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This phrase will play into the hands of Daniel Negari as it becomes mainstream in modern day society. It will help me too since I have already seen the exact phrase printed in major newspapers here.

•••
I am considered a millenial and the phrase "Generations X, Y & Z" isn't limited to Daniel Negari.

It is the standard phrase used to describe the current generations after the "Baby Boomers".

- Check for yourself and Google the phrase "Generations X, Y and Z"

- What is the first result you get?

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This phrase will play into the hands of Daniel Negari as it becomes mainstream in modern day society. It will help me too since I have already seen the exact phrase printed in major newspapers here.

Yes I know but to think that this will somehow make it a legitimate or a huge extension is plain nonsense.
many words are mainstream... .web is also mainstream. Will .web be big in the philippines?

.net is also mainstream as are many other extension words. .boomers must be one of the most profitable and popular extensions then.

Last edited:
•••
You skipped my main question. How much do you make a month with that site. I only see the hotel link via Agoda.

I just started for god's sake. Lol

You base your investments on the past and present. I base my investments on predicting and creating the future. While I am busy planning, investing and now developing you are insisting through every step that I will fail (some people are capable of predicting and doing things you are not).

I am sure you do well with what you do and if you give me time, you will see that I can and will do well too. Even in the extension that you despise.

P.S. I am not the only one.

•••
Yes I know but to think that this will somehow make it a legitimate or a huge extension is plain nonsense.
many words are mainstream... .web is also mainstream. Will .web be big in the philippines?

.net is also mainstream as are many other extension words. .boomers must be one of the most profitable and popular extensions then.

I can make it legitimate in Davao City and that is my role. I am not the only one and even more people will start developing their domains once they realize it is a better strategy than only relying on sales.

Short one word category killers in .XYZ have an SEO advantage over obscure and/or long .com domains. It's common sense.

As an end-user I prefer Geo.xyz with 20 to 30 matching Geo+Word niche domains over Word+Geo.com and the equivalent 20 to 30 matching Word+Geo+Word.com niche domains.

It's common sense really but there is more than one reason why I chose .xyz as the ultimate extension for my follow-up projects.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••

.web is too close to .net to do any better than .net in my opinion. It makes me think of an internet company of some kind and .web reminds me of Web Van Man. Let's see what happens when it launches but I am not expecting much.

There are a lot of reasons why I think .xyz will make it but in addition to those ideas, and reasons, I believe Daniel Negari can execute those ideas and make it happen.

It is also going to be easy to condition millenials to believe that .com's are for the previous generation and it makes more sense to use .org for a non-profit since .com really stands for "commercial", not anything and everything like .XYZ.

Those are some of the weak spots in .com but their marketing plan is more complex. They have a sales pitch that I feel comfortable pithing myself, even against the grain. As things move along and people jump on the bandwagon, more people will feel comfortable and confident too.

Last edited:
•••
the same applies to .top and many others. .XYZ doesn't have special SEO advantage compared to many others on the market.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...tlds-as-seo-boost-claims.952807/#post-5578366

I don't think that domainers developing their hundreds or thousands regs will add much value or create much exposure.

It all depends on the quality of those domains and if they can compete SEO wise with longer and more obscure .com's.

It is easier for me to compete since I live in a third wold country (an emerging economy). It would be much, much harder to develop NewYork.xyz into reputable website but it is still possible.

•••
It is also going to be easy to condition millenials to believe that .com's are for the previous generation and it makes more sense to use .org for a non-profit since .com really stands for "commercial", not anything and everything like .XYZ.

Most business owners or developers do have some brain left and will not be conditioned to use a fringe extension because of a cheesy slogan. If it were so easy..many had the opportunity to do that before, with better strings than this one. brand.xyz is looking weird BTW. Not the best string for that purpose.

•••
Why is itsmorefunindavaocity.xyz redirecting to .com and not the other way around.
I thought .com is finished since it will be blocked in China :rolleyes:

I am going to wait until .com gets blocked or until I have a substantial online presence with 5 to 10 completed niche websites under .xyz. The CTR would go down if I changed to .xyz now.

But I would choose SanFrancisco.xyz over ItsMoreFunInSanFrancico.com

Check the phrase: It's More Fun In the Philippines (on Google)

It makes sense in the Philippines but has no meaning for other countries, unless you are visiting the Philippines.

Last edited:
•••
Most business owners or developers do have some brain left and will not be conditioned to use a fringe extension because of cheesy slogan. If it were so easy..many had the opportunity to do that before, with better strings than this one.

There is more than one aspect than a "cheesy" slogan and I can say with certainty that most developers who mass produce websites will embrace new GTLDs for their name availability and SEO value.

I don't think you are aware of the business circles that sell whole websites instead of domain names on a mass scale. If you were you would understand the value of "exact match" domains, especially in an extension that is about to beat .org, and than .net in registrations.

Every time you guys say Daniel Negari can't do it and that the extension will flop during the next renewal cycle, he pulls a rabbit out of a hat again and again. This was and is a carefully planned marketing strategy and was actually written about by Frank Schilling 2 to 3 years before Daniel Negari started executing it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back