NameSilo

news China may enforce real name verification on .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

I came across this domain news article today:

http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/03/china-to-enforce-real-name-verification-on-com-domain-names/

As per that article, from March 1, 2016 onward, Chinese users would have to verify their real names and may have to provide supporting documents. Existing domains would be affected only when they renew.

What are your views on this?

I believe real name verification would reduce CHIP speculation drastically. Regs closer to March 1 would be more in demand as they have longer time to get renewed.

Is it time to move on to lesser regulated extensions such as .xyz?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sorry I forgot to mention, it affects .net too

•••
•••
Means chinese will buy more chips before the dateline, and will renew them for 10 years imho :xf.cool:

•••
Don't really see how they could enforce this.

•••
It's because registrars need permission to operate in china or sell to the Chinese. Seems Verisign would be blocked out if they didn't comply.

I am feeling so bad that I didn't have a chance to trade chips :(

•••
Verisign cooperation is the key.

I imagine 'controlling' millions of domains provides a little leverage.

Is Verisign for sale btw?

•••
It's because registrars need permission to operate in china or sell to the Chinese. Seems Verisign would be blocked out if they didn't comply.

I am feeling so bad that I didn't have a chance to trade chips :(

So you're saying people in China must move their DN's back to China and US companies must abide by their rules? I may be wrong and please correct me anyone but if I lived in China I'd just have them at GoDaddy, or some other country.

I don't know therefore maybe you're correct but the Internet is huge and I just don't see how such a rule can be enforced. Maybe it can...

•••
Interesting, I was wondering why someone i just transferred my domain to paid for registration until 2021.

•••
Interesting, I was wondering why someone i just transferred my domain to paid for registration until 2021.
Off topic, but one of the biggest reasons why this is not a 1 year bubble. I've yet to see a domain transferred without a 2+ year expiration date, putting an "inevitable" bubble burst to more than months away (as speculated by the naysayers).

•••
Solution is simple, move out all your domains from Chinese registrars and set privacy whois, just in case.

•••
I don't get it. GD accounts also needs to be verified.and somehow when we are buying domains we'll use our real address and name so that we can later verify our ownership if there is ever need for that.

•••
Solution is simple, move out all your domains from Chinese registrars and set privacy whois, just in case.

TY, that's what I don't understand. And if .com and others do abide and bind to their regulations many names would be deleted.

If there's a will there's a way and this can't be controlled IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Bad news for .com/.net, but good news for .org/ .biz/ .co etc imho...

•••
BTW, I am just reporting this.

I don't think it is fair to verify ownership by providing documents - cos that invades privacy. Besides they can be photoshoped if anyone wanted to. And verifying millions of govt ID's is a waste of time and also may lead to your personal documents being leaked.

Needing Govt ID for verification means only one thing: the chinese govt may be considering CHIPS as money laundering and its difficult to trace transactions for tax purposes.

I also heard that in other countries some folks use domain investments as method of writing off tax.

•••
The real name verification only applies to Chinese Registrar, and those who wanted their domain name to be resolve in China, it doesn't affect registrars in other countries. If you name is not with a Chinese registrar then there's nothing to worry about

•••
That is true that verification won't affect the rest of the world. But since all the CHIP activity is in China, it would be difficult to make a quick buck if the Chinese feel uncomfortable being watched by their govt. Has anyone been able to find updates about this?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back