Domain Empire

Checking traffic on domain NOT my own??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lyte

Pros Against PrejudiceEstablished Member
Impact
Is there a way to check, guess, figure and/or estimate traffic on a site that's not my own?? Is Overture the best way??

Thanks!

Lyte

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
alot of science based sites have there stats vivsible to the public, geeze have you guys never heard of log spamming :)

•••
•••
Amnezia said:
alot of science based sites have there stats vivsible to the public,

Amnezia said:
geeze have you guys never heard of log spamming :)

How are these 2 things realted. Is making your stats visible called log spaming? If so, what's the logic behind that?

laser said:

I actually have seen this site B4 and forgot all about it.

However, there is a problem with it.

While I understand that they don't claim that it's accurate, they also say...

"The results shown above are collected from a sample of over 2 million users. They are usually accurate to within 5-15% of real traffic, however some anomalies may happen which can reduce the accuracy. "

They also say...

"Usually your web server logs will indicate more unique visitors than we do"

Problem is, I checked all of my sites so far and they are WAY off on all of them. They are not lower as they claim but rather WAY TOO HIGH.

For instance, on of my sites gets about 1,000 uniques per month on avg. They claim that it gets over 64,000 visitor sessions per month. D-:

Another one of my sites gets about 300 per month.

They claim it gets around 46,000 visitor sessions per month. D-:

So apparently it is so unreliable that it isn't even worth it. This is beyond high balling. It's purely ridiculous. Makes Alexa look like a worthwhile tool to base visitor projections on.

I mean, even if it were a whole 100% off it might even be a reasonable tool to use on lower traffic sites.

But 50 vs 64,000?

10 vs 41,000?

Ridiculous. Absolutely!

Not even worth including this tool in your investigations for your assumptions. It'll throw everything WAY off.

Last edited:
•••
•••
cyberfixation said:
Here is a question for you all. What would it be worth to you ($ wise) if you could know another sites stats?
Would you pay a service $1, $10 or $100 for that info?

I would pay the same as I would for a pill that made me live forever, because both are equally impossible.

EbookLover said:
I would expect no more than $10/mo for unlimited websites.

:lol:

•••
•••
Check their source and see if they have a counter on. Some sites use extreme-tracking.com and they make all stats public but people hide the counter. So check the source and if you find the link, you can see all traffic details.

•••
laser said:
what about this one? give ur feedback http://www.statbrain.com/

This one was much closer to the truth than the metrixmarket one with www.pc101.com I could only wish (at this point) for 16,000 visitors in 30 days! lol

Statbrain was more accurate with 'bout 50 visitors per day.

Lyte

•••
OulZac said:
I think there would be a big market of people who would want to be able to use this service to see others stats, the real question is, how many would really want others to see their stats?

AH AH! I think you are totally on to it. I think it is similar to everyday freedoms we have in general. It is all a compromise. You have to give up some of your freedoms in order to have some freedoms aka you would have to give up your stats to know other peoples stats. it is just an exchange of information.

I personally whitheld my stats info on a sell of a domain because they were offering me much lower then i was willing to sell the site for. I was using it as a trump card. (I don't know if this was good theory or not)

I personally really think that this would be huge for domainers as well. It would put another angle on the research you put into a domain acqusition. Why would you want to waste your time and the owners if a domain you liked had crappy traffic and wasn't worth much. If you didn't know this before hand you just lost money and artificially inflated the market for that sale.

EbookLover, your the one that got me thinking about it with your post saying:

That said, boy, wouldn't it be great to come up with a service that could esily track the traffic of someone else's domain. You could literally make a killing of such a service or software.

Why do you think a company could make a killing on this service?

Great post OulZac!

•••
EbookLover said:
How are these 2 things realted. Is making your stats visible called log spaming? If so, what's the logic behind that?

no log spamming is when you hit a site over an over again with your site as the referall string. It is possible to do this with the firefox useragent switcher add-on.

In most stats programs the top 20 referals are visible in the log. So if your stats are visible and i hit your site loads of times with fake referals its gonna give me a link from your site to mine in your list of top referals.

here you go check out the top 40 referers on this .gov stats page lol

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngmdb_work/stats/Oct2005.Work.profile.html

some others

http://www.xmleverywhere.com/tiki/tiki-referer_stats.php

http://www.specialtyauto.com/stats/0106/Errors.htm

a classic example http://www.multicase.com/stats/usage_200602.html

http://vlsi.byblos.lau.edu.lb/Stats/usage_200512.html

Last edited:
•••
betrollwin.com said:
Check their source and see if they have a counter on. Some sites use extreme-tracking.com and they make all stats public but people hide the counter. So check the source and if you find the link, you can see all traffic details.

This looks just like a parked page. The only thing I found were ads and links to more ads. Where would I found site stats?

•••
cyberfixation said:
Here is a question for you all. What would it be worth to you ($ wise) if you could know another sites stats?
Would you pay a service $1, $10 or $100 for that info?
Depends on the site and what kind of stats I'd get. In most cases $0. For log files of a competitors site I might pay a lot. And you might go to jail for trying to get them :)

•••
What sort of things you do you think you could look at to estimate a sites traffic?

Statbrain and Metricsmarket... Aexa?.. Google backlinks?... anything else that would help gauge or allow for comparison in determining traffic?

•••
Hey Cyber,

Well... I've sorta let the domain go. I think the owner is looking for some huge payday on the name which seems a long shot even to me! :)

Thanks though!!!

Lyte

•••
Lyte,
Sorry to hear that...

This thread actually got me thinking and i am looking into different ways to "guestimate" traffic... found some interesting stuff but nothing close to concrete hence my last post asking if anyone had any ideas.

Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated.

•••
ALexa, UltTrends.com, Overture --> you can get a very good picture of the website

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back