Domain Empire

.mobi Check your .Mobi's for number of keystrokes...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

-db-

NamePros Inc.VIP Member
Impact
http://pukupi.com/tools/domainatron/index.php?

Thanks to member izo-pod for posting this source in another thread. It kinda got lost in the shuffle of .Mobi posts and arguments, so I wanted to highlight it for those who missed it.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Awesome. Thanks -db-

kev

•••
Nice tool -db-
thanks for the repost

•••
Interesting tool :)

Thanks -db-

•••
VERY interesting. Gives me a whole new perspective on which low character domains to seek.

•••
. . Great Tool! Found this myself a while ago :alien:
__

Last edited:
•••
I must admit, I was a bit depressed when I discovered my 6 to 9 letter domains took 10 to 21 keystrokes, but that's just the way it is, and something we must consider.

Of course, as Tee said "thank god for keyboard phones"... because those will not require all the extra keystrokes, or mode switches that standard cell phones do.

•••
I remember this from the other thread, great util!

You can see why I only have one LLL that has a double-letter... so many extra keystrokes for that double!

•••
Very cool tool...even if you don't have to type in the extension if you have zzz.mobi that would look like a very cool, easy domain...BUT it would take 14 keystrokes to get in there!

•••
Honestly, I just don't see that it's going to matter that much. If someone wants to get to a particular Web site, they're not just going to say, "14 keystrokes, as opposed to 9? Welllll, I guess I don't need to go to that site THAT badly..."

If they were just typing in random letters to see where it would take them, sure, I could go for the x vs. y number of keystrokes argument. But if they have a destination in mind, a user will enter whatever they need to enter to get there. And then bookmark it.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Short is good for advertisements... if you see "FreeRingTonesOnline.mobi" on a billboard when you're driving, who's going to goto that? Even in a print-ad/i-net ad.
If they see "FRT.mobi" or "Tones.mobi", IMO, they will be more likely to type that in.

Yeah, it's scary people surf the web on their phone while driving, but people do! haha

•••
Ohm, how interesting! Thanx for the link!

•••
MCDomains said:
Yeah, it's scary people surf the web on their phone while driving, but people do! haha

I do it, but only at stoplights, I promise!

•••
Just in case my tool might be useful to someone:
http://legend.ws/tools/dotmobi.php

shows the strokes, their count and the digits equivalent as some people here are registering the digit equivalent of the domains.

•••
I did a test. Anyone know why they went with .mobi?

zzz.mobi is 24 keystrokes

zzz.mbl is 21 keystrokes
zzz.mbi is 21 keystrokes
zzz.mob is 22 keystorkes

Basically, why would they add a fourth digit to a domain meant for mobile phones? It just does not make any sense. This tool shows it.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the tool, rep added.

•••
apexad said:
I did a test. Anyone know why they went with .mobi?

zzz.mobi is 24 keystrokes

zzz.mbl is 21 keystrokes
zzz.mbi is 21 keystrokes
zzz.mob is 22 keystorkes

Basically, why would they add a fourth digit to a domain meant for mobile phones? It just does not make any sense. This tool shows it.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the tool, rep added.

The idea is we won't have to put in .mobi ... it will be the standard. You enter cnn and you goto cnn.mobi

legend2 said:
Just in case my tool might be useful to someone:
http://legend.ws/tools/dotmobi.php

shows the strokes, their count and the digits equivalent as some people here are registering the digit equivalent of the domains.

This doesn't take into account the negative of the repeat-letter. The tool at the top of this thread adds the extra keys for those.

•••
•••

Popular this week

• The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back