IT.COM

video Check out the 100 oldest .com domain names!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Name Nerd

NameNerd.comEstablished Member
Impact
Here's the full list:

1. symbolics.com
2. bbn.com
3. think.com
4. mcc.com
5. dec.com
6. northrop.com
7. xerox.com
8. sri.com
9. hp.com
10. bellcore.com
11. ibm.com
12. sun.com
13. intel.com
14. ti.com
15. att.com
16. gmr.com
17. tek.com
18. fmc.com
19. ub.com
20. bell-atl.com
21. ge.com
22. grebyn.com
23. isc.com
24. nsc.com
25. stargate.com
26. boeing.com
27. itcorp.com
28. siemens.com
29. pyramid.com
30. alphacdc.com
31. bdm.com
32. fluke.com
33. inmet.com
34. kesmai.com
35. mentor.com
36. nec.com
37. ray.com
38. rosemount.com
39. vortex.com
40. alcoa.com
41. gte.com
42. adobe.com
43. amd.com
44. das.com
45. data-io.com
46. octopus.com
47. portal.com
48. teltone.com
49. 3com.com
50. amdahl.com
51. ccur.com
52. ci.com
53. convergent.com
54. dg.com
55. peregrine.com
56. quad.com
57. sq.com
58. tandy.com
59. tti.com
60. unisys.com
61. cgi.com
62. cts.com
63. spdcc.com
64. apple.com
65. nma.com
66. prime.com
67. philips.com
68. datacube.com
69. kai.com
70. tic.com
71. vine.com
72. ncr.com
73. cisco.com
74. rdl.com
75. slb.com
76. parcplace.com
77. utc.com
78. ide.com
79. trw.com
80. unipress.com
81. dupont.com
82. lockheed.com
83. rosetta.com
84. toad.com
85. quick.com
86. allied.com
87. dsc.com
88. sco.com
89. gene.com
90. kccs.com
91. spectra.com
92. wlk.com
93. mentat.com
94. wyse.com
95. cfg.com
96. marble.com
97. cayman.com
98. entity.com
99. ksr.com
100. nynexst.com

It looks like @bmugford owns #68 - DataCube.com. Wondering if anyone else here owns a domain from the first 100 list. If not, what's your favorite one?

Here's a short video analysis:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think I read that @Michael Cyger owns Pyramid? Could be wrong on that.

My favourites are Think, Sun, and Prime.

Last edited:
•••
Personal favorites of the list:
1. Vortex
2. Spectra
3. Stargate
4. Gene
5. Think
6. Intel

I wonder what the first numeric domain was. Does anyone know?

•••
Personal favorites of the list:
1. Vortex
2. Spectra
3. Stargate
4. Gene
5. Think
6. Intel

I wonder what the first numeric domain was. Does anyone know?
Couldn't find an exact answer on Google, so I checked a few 2 and 3 digit numbers. Earliest one I saw was:

000.com

Registered on 1995-11-02

•••
How do you know the domains are the oldest?

•••
•••
•••
How do you know the domains are the oldest?

Yeah, that's a valid question actually. These are the oldest .com domains *that are still registered*. I'm always wondering what was the oldest domain (.com or otherwise) that has since expired.

•••
•••
The evolution and contents of HOSTS.TXT from 1974 until 1995 can be found here:

https://emaillab.jp/dns/hosts/

Well it's interesting for sure, but for example the domain nordu.net is registered 1985-01-01 but is not present in hosts.txt for many years after. In late june 1985 we only have bbn.com and symbolics.com but not think.com that had beed registered since May. That's the difference between a domain and a host.

•••
Well it's interesting for sure, but for example the domain nordu.net is registered 1985-01-01 but is not present in hosts.txt for many years after. In late june 1985 we only have bbn.com and symbolics.com but not think.com that had beed registered since May. That's the difference between a domain and a host.
There has been a milnet name domain transition period (see rfc 1031). Symbolics.com was more than special, because it was one of the first companies actually running an experimental dns resolver for 36xx series Lisp machines. During the transition period you see some .com domain names appearing in hosts.txt and early dns zones. Lots of experimentation.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I don't doubt symbolics.com and a few others. But the topic is about "the 100 oldest" and I find it hard to believe there wasn't a .com domain that had been registered as one of the first 100 but then expired. Maybe there wasn't, I don't know, I've just always been wondering.

•••
Unfortunately, we can't ask Jon Postel anymore. But you can still dig the archives and do some investigations. The information should be there ;)

•••
Actually, I really don't care how old it is , I want to know which domain is the most expensive, which domain gets the best ROI, the best hand reg domain that sold for the most profit...

•••
Interesting, I see business that hold domains never heard or seen before

•••
I believe that's because nordu was the first domain ever created, not the first domain ever registered which was symbolics.. I could do some digging on this, but there's a difference.

•••
I believe that's because nordu was the first domain ever created, not the first domain ever registered which was symbolics.. I could do some digging on this, but there's a difference.
This is my understanding too. Created vs registered.

•••
I believe that's because nordu was the first domain ever created, not the first domain ever registered which was symbolics.

I think it's simpler than that, because this list is entirely of earliest .com domains. Nordu.net was ahead of the pack, but a different beast.

Edit: I do now note that the original source states "currently registered" domains, so that does complicate the actual timeline a bit. First is first... right?

Last edited:
•••
I think it's simpler than that, because this list is entirely of earliest .com domains. Nordu.net was ahead of the pack, but a different beast.

Edit: I do now note that the original source states "currently registered" domains, so that does complicate the actual timeline a bit. First is first... right,
Right- missed that! I wonder though, many people automatically assume dot-com and maybe the OP can clarify whether the oldest domains in general or specifically dot-com (I know I know it's in the title).. @Name Nerd

Semantics.. maybe that should have been the first :P

•••
Right- missed that! I wonder though, many people automatically assume dot-com and maybe the OP can clarify whether the oldest domains in general or specifically dot-com (I know I know it's in the title).. @Name Nerd

Correct, the list is simply the first 100 .coms.

Although the wiki page says “currently registered,” other sources don’t mention that phrase such as https://dnd.com/100-oldest-domain-names/ which looks to be the exact same list.

•••
•••

Edit: I do now note that the original source states "currently registered" domains, so that does complicate the actual timeline a bit. First is first... right?

Correct. That's why you'll even find ccTLDs predating some of the .coms on the list.

•••
Here's the full list:

It looks like @bmugford owns #68 - DataCube.com. Wondering if anyone else here owns a domain from the first 100 list. If not, what's your favorite one?

Here's a short video analysis:

Lets Go Yes GIF by Cameo

Great job
Thanks for info/video

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back