NameSilo

Check it out

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790348,00.asp
Beware How You Google

Updated: Security researchers warn that a one-letter typo in Google's domain name could lead to a massive virus- and spyware-infection attack.

A simple misspelling of Google's domain name could lead to a Web surfer's worst nightmare.

In a new twist to the old practice of "typosquatting," virus writers have registered a slight variation of Google Inc.'s popular search-engine site to take advantage of any users who botch the spelling of the google.com URL.
The malicious site, googkle.com, is infested with Trojan droppers, downloaders, backdoors and spyware, and an unsuspecting user only has to visit the page to be at risk of computer hijack attacks, according to a warning from Finnish anti-virus vendor F-Secure Corp.

When googkle.com is opened in a browser, two pop-up windows are immediately launched with redirects to third-party sites loaded with scripts. One of the sites, ntsearch.com, downloads and runs a "pop.chm" file, and the other, toolbarpartner.com, downloads and runs a "ddfs.chm" file, F-Secure said.

"Both files are downloaded using exploits and they contain exploits themselves to run embedded executable files. One of the Web pages of the 'toolbarpartner.com' website downloads a file named 'pic10.jpg' using an exploit. This JPG file is actually an executable that replaces [the] Windows Media Player application," the warning reads.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My god, i will define an alias in hosts file and use that only to go to google

•••
lol :P ya try that or just get a better antivirus :p

•••
why not have google as the homepage, then all you have to do is press that little icon above the address bar

•••
Thats bad if we have as homepage. It pops up everytime we open a browser window

•••
lol well thts wt its suppose to do when u have it as ur home page:p
The easiest thing to do is to get a GOOD antivirus and spyware

•••
nopes
goto %systemroot%\drivers\etc\hosts and open that file with notepad
find the ip of google.com using nslookup and add an entry in the text file like
10.0.0.1 find
and save the file
type find in address bar all time to go to google

•••
I am using firefox and I never have to type google.com, just hit control+k to reach the built in search-bar and search :D

YAY! I am safe!

•••
lol
Well y cant google SUE Them for
1. TM issues
2. Virus stuff

•••
Firefox rocks with addins

•••
I have a google toobar, almost never have chance to spell wrong!

•••
Even in their adsense ads.. they spelt google wrong..lol

•••
With firefox search built-in and Google toolbar, I am safe. :)

•••
xyris said:
Even in their adsense ads.. they spelt google wrong..lol

:D :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back